• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Digmenow
Here's today's effort. Four months ago, I aspired to own something from Joseph A. Banks which I mistakenly thought was the pinnacle of men's fashion.

They also feature the Steve Harvey line. That should have tipped me off, I suppose.

lol ... those two lines had me in stitches.

on the issue of the suit - hard to judge because of your pose. maybe see if you can have someone else take the pictures so we can be more informed and thus provide better feedback.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ag229487
Nice stuff everybody. I need advice, is this jacket fit alright? Besides the sleeves needing + length and the waist tapered? Its a 40r, should I try 39r? It is a new BB fitzgerald sport coat.
007.jpg

Try the 39R, I have a feeling the waist suppression your 40R needs will be insufficient to open the quarters up a bit. As it stands, this looks, well, sackish.
Please don't hurt me. I've discovered thrifting and the tie (Fratelli Moda) was purchased last week for $2 US. It was my first Italian silk tie find but no big loss. I've since learned there are plenty more out there and that I just need to be patient. As to the colors and fits, the first two efforts did have an '80's vibe due to the rescued sport coats but as I said, I gotta start somewhere and I'm pretty sure if I ask advice, I won't cry when I get it. Here's today's effort. Four months ago, I aspired to own something from Joseph A. Banks which I mistakenly thought was the pinnacle of men's fashion. I settled instead for this $150 L/RL not knowing any better. That said, had I dropped a thou at JAB and then come here, I'd be pissed! The shirt is BB Tie is Zenga Shoes are older Florsheims that will tide me over until I stumble across my first pair of Aldens. What I am most interested in is the fit of this suit. I had it fitted by the Russian woman who does the alterations at the big box clothing outlet I purchased it at. They also feature the Steve Harvey line. That should have tipped me off, I suppose. Did she do well by me or should I continue to hunt for someone more competent.
IMG_20110405_083607.jpg
IMG_20110405_083648.jpg
IMG_20110405_083903.jpg
IMG_20110405_084006.jpg

I like you, you're funny. You're also good with colors and patterns. That's commendable. On to the critique, since you asked: Suit shoulders look a little too big, but I've seen (and own) worse. The sleeves on the suit are kinda jacked up, but that is common with OTR stuff (I have jackets that do this) - it has to do with the pitch of the sleeves, and how OTR suits must be made to fit many/all kinds of sizes. The suit is passable in the real world, but not up to SF WAYWRN snuff. You decide what is important. I like the shirt, but with that suit you should go with at least a point collar, preferably a spread (six months ago, I'd never heard of a spread collar, now I own more than I care to admit). The tie is definitely not my bag, and I'm not sure it should be yours, either, seeing as you are pretty good with patterns/colors (a lot better than I was when I started here). You did the same thing I did when I learned about nice brands of ties. I ended up thrifting a Ferragamo, donning it for WAYWRN and sitting back waiting for the accolades/disbelief at my pimp thrifting skills, only to find that it was apparently so bad that I made everyone on SF kick a puppy. Shoes are totally acceptable. Nice, even.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
The "rule" is something I've read several places, and it was the method I was trained to use when fitting for MTM suits at Brooks Brothers.

Flusser says:

Not having a bespoke tailor, I use the latter method as a general guide. For me, it says 31" is the ideal BOC length, and I will deviate at least half an inch to either side of that measurement, depending on the coat.

Regarding the two suits pictured above, the second is 1/4" longer than the first. I suspect the difference in appearance is due more to the second suit's overall slimmer silhouette than to any actual difference in length.

I'm not sure how useful this rule is. Looking at those two suits of yours side by side, you can see how our perception of jacket length is affected by other aspects of the fit. I don't think it makes sense to talk about the length in isolation, when it is so dependant on the overall silhouette of the suit. Historically, there has been quite significant variations in jacket length, as different cuts go in and out of style. I don't think you can ignore the context and just point to one length as "correct" (Flusser is an idiot). For instance, look at how the slim suits of the 1960s and 2000s feaure shorter jackets, while the fuller suits of the 80s were cut longer. Both approaches make sense, within the context of their respective aesthetics.

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spoozy
Cheers, Threader! It´s a silk one off the sale racks of my preffered local men´s wear shop...cost me 5 €...yes!

Nice find man... Definitely a sweet shade of green.

Feeling conservative business dress today! And, new shoes!
biggrin.gif

3RpZ0.jpg

SpooPose and PG shot in the same picture!

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
IMG_4620.jpg

teacha.gif

Nice jacket. Can I ask you what kind of umbrella is that? I'd like to think it's a full length umbrella because it looks like it, but it appears to be short(I do not know the actual terminology for the two style).

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
f894d8ca.jpg

Nice

Originally Posted by MBreinin
AcridJew1.JPG
[/SPOILER]

Good stuff, Mike

Originally Posted by PandArts

blue-n-grey_040511_01.jpg
[/SPOILER]

Not your best look ever, but consistency should be recognized, too. Hope the vacation was good.

Originally Posted by Edgar Allan Pwn
Mrqkp.jpg

[/SPOILER]

I am a-feared of everything except that lovely tie.

Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger

IMG_4620.jpg

Sodden Ranger. Still lovin' that SC. Vox may be overdoing it at the gym, though.

Originally Posted by spoozy
5592631229_c5227a8756_z.jpg
5593215134_71c4e0a344_z.jpg
5592627229_8799dbbc95_z.jpg
Waist up = thumbs up

Originally Posted by aeglus
tumblr_lj6hqpp51C1qcq3abo1_500.jpg
tumblr_lj6hw5HmuE1qcq3abo1_400.jpg

Apparently night shots are not something my camera is very good at.
IMG_20110405_083607.jpg

IMG_20110405_083648.jpg

IMG_20110405_083903.jpg

IMG_20110405_084006.jpg
Hard to tell much about the fit of either fit in these photos. Aeglus, at least, gets style points for artistic flair.

DaBatMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Prisoner of Rain
110405019.jpg

110405026-1.jpg

This is outstanding PG. I love your (non buttoned down collar undone) looks.

Originally Posted by niidawg3
After the storm ...
f894d8ca.jpg

more on the dark side ...​

You, Sir, appear to have been working out. Much needed inspiration once again. Thank you.

Ag229487

Reaction score
My concern is that the shoulders may be too small on the 39. Maybe I will order it an send whichever one back that doesn't fit.

Originally Posted by acridsheep
Try the 39R, I have a feeling the waist suppression your 40R needs will be insufficient to open the quarters up a bit. As it stands, this looks, well, sackish.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's attire, much of which is outside the local gemeinschaft of acceptable SF sartorial splendor, but, it are what it be.

IMGP0355490x1280.jpg

IMGP03521010x1280.jpg

IMGP0353851x1280.jpg

ethandesu

Reaction score
I've not posted fits here in a long time, but I thought I may as well throw in to the ring again. Ariston Check, Loro Piana 220 gram trouser, Silverline Shirting, Drakes Cashmere.
tumblr_liy9j7GtL31qad1efo1_1280.jpg
desu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads