• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issues with Edward Green Service. Somewhat resolved. UPDATE 4/5

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would disclose the issue with the monks so that others are forewarned and can take more precautionary measures when sending shoes to them for a recraft.

Personally, I feel if it's truth, it's truth. I love their product to death but would let others know in a factual manner what I experienced so they will be in the know, especially after my years of praising EG.

rsuhandy

Reaction score
^

I agree with you...but to play devils advocate, wasn't there a 15+ page thread about how some guy
had an experience at B. Nelson which included a long debate about
why you should let the party at fault fix things and keep things
quite if they do....just sayin
laugh.gif

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
170-200 gbp plus shipping plus potential UPS tomfoolery for a recraft? Almost worth it just to buy new EG's on sale, assuming the usual sale sources never dry up

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I would disclose the issue with the monks so that others are forewarned and can take more precautionary measures when sending shoes to them for a recraft. Personally, I feel if it's truth, it's truth. I love their product to death but would let others know in a factual manner what I experienced so they will be in the know, especially after my years of praising EG.
Originally Posted by rsuhandy
^ I agree with you...but to play devils advocate, wasn't there a 15+ page thread about how some guy had an experience at B. Nelson which included a long debate about why you should let the party at fault fix things and keep things quite if they do....just sayin
laugh.gif

I went back and forth on this issue based on these two trains of thought. The edge dressing issue was just careless oversight not affecting the functionality of the shoes. The primary reason that I started this thread was to see if the edge dressing was something I should make an issue out of. The other problem, well, let's just say that I have no doubt that anyone here would have raised the issue.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I went back and forth on this issue based on these two trains of thought. The edge dressing issue was just careless oversight not affecting the functionality of the shoes. The primary reason that I started this thread was to see if the edge dressing was something I should make an issue out of.

The other problem, well, let's just say that I have no doubt that anyone here would have raised the issue.

dont be coy. please let us know what happened with the monk straps.

and photos please

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
Actually, it was about a month or so ago. I just got the previously mentioned UPS customs bill, too. Are you saying I paid more than everyone else has to pay? That really sucks! What did I do to them?
Does that show 214 pounds? I think that's $350 today.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
The primary reason that I started this thread was to see if the edge dressing was something I should make an issue out of.

all the hassle because of the edge dressing, no?

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I would disclose the issue with the monks so that others are forewarned and can take more precautionary measures when sending shoes to them for a recraft.

Personally, I feel if it's truth, it's truth. I love their product to death but would let others know in a factual manner what I experienced so they will be in the know, especially after my years of praising EG.

+1

Agree on this approach. Broadly speaking whilst the issue is 'live' I would of course be sensitive to the Company's position.

However if they repeatedly provide a frustratingly inept service or adopt a defensive/'blame the customer' approach which is both un-necessary & inflammatory, I think they deserve some negative exposure. It's the only way they will learn to value their customers and rectify mistakes in their deficient level of service.

I think part of being a gentleman is to uphold a principle of fairness and it simply isn't reasonable or fair for companies to cock up and not take their share of responsibility.

Looking at this objectively it's perfectly proper to factually account your experience here, so that others may learn. How much detail you go into depends on how much of a gentleman you are...

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice
It's the only way they will learn to value their customers and rectify mistakes in their deficient level of service.

When EG made a couple of errors on my repair order they not only rectified the mistakes, they were extremely gracious in making amends, without in any way being asked.

I came away a more loyal customer than I had been before.

I can't speak of them highly enough.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
When EG made a couple of errors on my repair order they not only rectified the mistakes, they were extremely gracious in making amends, without in any way being asked.

Thus what you have chosen to quote from my post would not apply due to the preceding text which you omitted and deals with a situation such as yours...

It's not that this is about EG only it could be about any company.

well-kept

Reaction score
My point, which I may not have made in the best way, is that I believe EG does value its customers. I have never been treated with such consideration by any firm. And if they mess up from time to time, as we all do, they might not deserve to be considered as lacking, in any comprehensive way. Hence my counterbalancing statement.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

then you're a better man than me...

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
My point, which I may not have made in the best way, is that I believe EG does value its customers. I have never been treated with such consideration by any firm. And if they mess up from time to time, as we all do, they might not deserve to be considered as lacking, in any comprehensive way. Hence my counterbalancing statement.

Given your personal experience which you have briefly outlined, I can appreciate your stance on this. But the bigger picture through anecdotes and taking a more objective, rather than subjective view suggests that a) They don't just mess up from time to time it's arguably more frequent than that and b) When they do mess up it's at best an inconsistent reaction from them, in your case great but in others posted here it's been poor.

EG produce what they call 'The finest shoes in England' they promote all aspects of their business to be par excellence. So to be fair, when they mess up, it is a big deal - they set their own bar high.

My own personal experience with EG has been reasonable on the whole, much better than my experience with other high end producers like Berluti & Vass. But in fairness to Vass they are more artisan than business venture and my problems stemmed from language translation issues a few years back & everything was eventually resolved to my satisfaction.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Northampton Novice
[..]When they do mess up it's at best an inconsistent reaction from them, in your case great but in others posted here it's been poor.[..]

From what I have read so far in this thread, EG's actions to rectify the problems seem to be quite good when they made mistakes. Even in the case of OP, everything seems to work out reasonable well enough. Am I missing something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads