• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Darlton Wingtips

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
Had to pack for a flight so I thought I would shine the shoes while I was up.
IMGP4701.jpg

Leather looks good. Doesn't look like it was dried out. I assume the color matches (looks like it from the photos?). The eBay seller's photos must have been done in poor lighting. Not sure how much you know about Cordovan, but just make sure you don't use too much polish, and polish very very infrequently. Many members (myself included) simply brush vigorously. I will also use a slightly damp cloth every now and then. I also have used a small (emphasis on small) amount of Saphir revovateur, and that has worked well. I know the Darltons are not the sleekest in the world, and the EGs in a previous post are great, but I always get compliments when I wear mine, and they are my favorite non-balmoral. Congratulations.

g.michael

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I don't have any pictures, but I've found that C&J shells tend to be extremely caked with polish. This is my observation from 3 different pairs. I rubbed them down with a damp cloth about 50 times. Eventually the actual shell appeared. They are very nice now.

I've found the same thing with mine. The polish cakes around the creases--using a brush just smears it. Rubbing with a damp cloth each time until you stop getting polish on it, then buffing with a flannel rag does the trick. Until you wear them a few times and have to start over.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
People on SF really overdo it with the Renovateur in general, but especially on cordovan. The material has a lot of oils and waxes packed into it already, and the "blooming" of those lipids is what causes the whitish discoloration at the creases and stress points on the vamp. A thorough brushing and/or light wipedown with a damp cloth should shine them right up.

I use a tiny bit of Creme Cordovan or Renovateur very sparingly and infrequently. Maybe every 10 wearings, assuming I wear the shoes once or twice a week.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is there a "stiffer" bristle brush out there made especially for cordovan? Seems like my standard brush isn't working the horsehide as much as I'd like it or need it to.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
is there a "stiffer" bristle brush out there made especially for cordovan? Seems like my standard brush isn't working the horsehide as much as I'd like it or need it to.
I have actually wondered this before too.

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I don't have any pictures, but I've found that C&J shells tend to be extremely caked with polish. This is my observation from 3 different pairs. I rubbed them down with a damp cloth about 50 times. Eventually the actual shell appeared. They are very nice now.

This was the best thing I've read in this forum this year. Such a simple proposition, yet I hadn't even realized it. I brushed the hell out of mine and now they look amazing. What a difference. It's like a completely different pair of shoes. Props to you, kind sir.
worship.gif

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
This was the best thing I've read in this forum this year. Such a simple proposition, yet I hadn't even realized it. I brushed the hell out of mine and now they look amazing. What a difference. It's like a completely different pair of shoes. Props to you, kind sir.
worship.gif

+1. The horse hair works great on horse ass. Not so much with the calf

sf_esq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
+1. The horse hair works great on horse ass. Not so much with the calf

Seems perfectly logical. Perhaps I need a cow hair brush for my calfskin shoes.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sf_esq
Seems perfectly logical. Perhaps I need a cow hair brush for my calfskin shoes.
fistbump.gif
I love a good Cordovan shoe. Especially one made by C&J.
inlove.gif

g.michael

Reaction score
So much talk, so few real pics.

Took these right after i purchased them last November. Wore them around the house to break them in--you can see the bloom on the creases. The finishing of the shoe is incredible. The sunlight washes out the color a bit--they are the color of a Hershey bar in real life.

PB290793.jpg

PB290785.jpg

PB290790.jpg

PB290786.jpg

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g.michael
So much talk, so few real pics.

I agree. Bump for more used/worn pics to help me talk myself in/out of these..... anyone?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
You are trigger happy on green shoes and thinking about these ?
facepalm.gif

Im trying to decide if they are too blobby for me or not. Thats the thing. The Corthays are sleek like I like them, there was zero decision to be made there.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by g.michael
So much talk, so few real pics. Took these right after i purchased them last November. Wore them around the house to break them in--you can see the bloom on the creases. The finishing of the shoe is incredible. The sunlight washes out the color a bit--they are the color of a Hershey bar in real life.
PB290793.jpg

PB290785.jpg

PB290790.jpg
[/SPOILER]
PB290786.jpg
nice shoes. whats the sizing difference between the penny and the wingtip?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
I think shell cordovan is fantastic. It's easy to care for and has a depth that calf does not, IMO. Example: C&J for RL Darlton bluchers. Worn for something like 8 months with maybe one or two brushings along the way. Today I had some time so I applied Saphir Renovateur and then brushed it out. The results, I think, speak for themselves. Before:
243kqde.jpg
Top after, bottom before:
11blyyd.jpg
Before in foreground:
fvjswz.jpg
After:
23to6yx.jpg
Both after:
2agvrs9.jpg

not a big of the color here but these have aged well. I would have like a little more brown

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads