• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
... How is that even at all extraordinary, that probably happens once every 2 weeks. People throw a lot of parties in my building (It's near a university) and I work 70 hours / week.
Yeah, I'm gonna back AR up on this one. Lawyers work ungodly hours. I'm surprised he can even maintain his svelte, new figure given the workload. My brother does this + a wife (also a lawyer) and a 7-month-old, and he doesn't even have time to go to the gym, much less go out (save for the occasional brunch that's wife + kid + random friend who probably also brings along an infant). I take umbrage at the video game snark, though. The best glowing rectangle-based times had very little to do with the games themselves (Goldeneye, Soul Caliber, one or more of the Mario Party games) and much more to do with the group of friends gathering in the basement, swapping in and out of games, talking trash, drinking way too much Mountain Dew, &c. edit: Didn't see the last AR post. Happy birthday, and damnit, I have almost three years on you. In the same boat when I crunk it up myself, though. I used to have a champion-level tolerance and love it, and now I berate myself for screwing up my sleep schedule and killing off too many brain cells.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess I just don't get your analogy.

I'm not sure what's to get. You find it depressing that anyone would spend a lot of time or have fond memories of playing video games. Some people would find it depressing to spend nearly half the week's hours working. It's all subjective and it's short-sighted to be critical of how the other person spends their time, especially if that's what brings them joy.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I just don't get your analogy.

Did on saturday for my bday. It was bad news, blacked out around 1:30.

wait, so whats the issue here?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
happy belated AR!
Thanks man.
Originally Posted by notwithit
Yeah, I'm gonna back AR up on this one. Lawyers work ungodly hours. I'm surprised he can even maintain his svelte, new figure given the workload. My brother does this + a wife (also a lawyer) and a 7-month-old, and he doesn't even have time to go to the gym, much less go out (save for the occasional brunch that's wife + kid + random friend who probably also brings along an infant).
Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Dude in the office next to me is an up and coming litigator - very good and very hard working, bills 200+ / month afaik. He just had a kid and basically doesn't see the little guy when he's awake. Seems to be a pretty common story, but really, it varies from person to person. Like today I have nothing really to do, so here I am on styleforvm. In the summer a lot of the securities people are pretty much on facebook for 8 hours straight. Then in November, they don't sleep for a week. Just depends where you are.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
the water temple wasn't hard per se, just tedious as hell

I didn't feel it any more hard then like say the shadow temple. You just pretty much go forward and keep changing the water level, its a pretty linear progression, you don't have to go back and change **** like in majoras mask as much.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
Man, I miss playing Magic the Gathering so much, I used to play vintage regularly and played a few serious tournaments, beat the Polish champ in a game in Indianapolis. Sensei's divining top combo, ******* hell I miss that. TPS too. Please tell me I am not the only one that played vintage?

Was vintage an expansion pack, or does that just refer to a certain time period? I used to play a little in middle school. Nothing serious, but I had a half-decent black/green discard deck.

Originally Posted by fuji
I didn't feel it any more hard then like say the shadow temple. You just pretty much go forward and keep changing the water level, its a pretty linear progression, you don't have to go back and change **** like in majoras mask as much.

I liked Ocarina of Time, but I gave up on Majora's Mask during the water temple. I couldn't figure something out, or it was taking too long, or something like that. Then again, it was around the time I more or less gave up on video games entirely. And now I waste my time here and/or working out compulsively instead.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lane
wait, so whats the issue here?
son-i-am-disappoint-4114-1295018309-60.jpg

I dunno man I guess I have just crested the hill where there are more mornings of "I regret the foregoing chain of events" than mornings of "that was totally worth it". For one thing, the next day is a write off and writing off a day is just a disaster, there's too much to fit into not enough time as it is right now. Still, whatever, good times.

Originally Posted by apk
I'm not sure what's to get. You find it depressing that anyone would spend a lot of time or have fond memories of playing video games. Some people would find it depressing to spend nearly half the week's hours working. It's all subjective and it's short-sighted to be critical of how the other person spends their time, especially if that's what brings them joy.
I just don't see the parallel between remunerative employ that is also intellectually challenging, and racking up headshots with a shock rifle. Maybe that's because I see video games as entertaining time-killers more than anything; you get zero sense of accomplishment or enlightenment from them the way you do from work or a good movie or a book or whatever. So for me the comparison just doesn't make sense. But I wasn't really trying to start some sort of philosophical discussion about the relative value of time spent on work vs. just ******* around.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
Man, I miss playing Magic the Gathering so much, I used to play vintage regularly and played a few serious tournaments, beat the Polish champ in a game in Indianapolis. Sensei's divining top combo, ******* hell I miss that. TPS too. Please tell me I am not the only one that played vintage?

Man the smell and feel of old cards sends me into straight up reverie territory. I was never good enough to compete or anything but sitting down with a pile of cards and trying to figure out combos was such a blissful experience.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
^^^
is it weird that I want my life to be like that? working super hard when I start off to make large dollars.

I don't want to knock work ethic, but working so much that you basically never see your family seems to defeat one of the purposes most people seek lucrative vocations (i.e. providing a comfortable life for their family). I'm unsure if I want kids, but all of that cash seems like a questionable trade-off for never seeing your family. I know, how un-baller of me.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
the water temple wasn't hard per se, just tedious as hell
For me it was that one switch or hookshot (can't remember which) underneath the floating platform in the central column that made it frustrating. I replayed it and internet strategy guide-d parts that were tedious for me this summer. Best decision ever MTG was the **** i played it actually a bunch in college because everyone I knew had that "oh **** i used to play that too!" moment and so we brought our cards back second semester frosh year and played the **** out of it. All of these games were primarily social for me. Fondest memories were of Goldeneye and Super Smash Bros. multiplayer

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just don't see the parallel between remunerative employ that is also intellectually challenging, and racking up headshots with a shock rifle. Maybe that's because I see video games as entertaining time-killers more than anything; you get zero sense of accomplishment or enlightenment from them the way you do from work or a good movie or a book or whatever. So for me the comparison just doesn't make sense. But I wasn't really trying to start some sort of philosophical discussion about the relative value of time spent on work vs. just ******* around.

It's all good. As I mentioned, I don't really play video games and have done so sparingly in the past, as I kind of view them as time-wasters myself. I just know that for some people, such activities give them legitimate joy and while it's not my idea of a good time, I'm not going to knock it (too much).

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I don't want to knock work ethic, but working so much that you basically never see your family seems to defeat one of the purposes most people seek lucrative vocations (i.e. providing a comfortable life for their family). I'm unsure if I want kids, but all of that cash seems like a questionable trade-off for never seeing your family. I know, how un-baller of me.

I don't mean never seeing them, but I do have this urge to work really hard at whatever I do to make as much as I can as fast as I can. I want to be that up and comer, you know? this might just be youthful exuberance, seeing as I'm not even through post-secondary, but I would love to work really hard in my early years and establish myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads