• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenal0
Here are my 7118s. I got them a few weeks ago. Not as much color variation.
Attachment 60735

Kenal0

These are much better matched than the previous example, where the color variation seemed (difficult to tell with the photo) extreme.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renton
After figuring out my size in Barrie, Trubalance, and the Hampton last, I've found that almost no one carries a 10.5 EE or 11 EEE, especially in cordovan. I'd love to put my name down for some of the fall orders for J. Gilbert, but I can't find a plaza last shoe in 11 EEE to save my life.
ffffuuuu.gif

What are the fall releases for j Gilbert?

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenal0
Here are my 7118s. I got them a few weeks ago. Not as much color variation.
Attachment 60735

Kenal0

Interesting, they look like the leather might be slightly different. Did you buy them from stock or did they have to be ordered in from Alden? The reason I ask is that the Alden rep did indicate that they were switching the leather on this shoe, so perhaps your aniline is from a different tannery?

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jorge
These are much better matched than the previous example, where the color variation seemed (difficult to tell with the photo) extreme.

First, understand that the two shoes are perfectly matched, but if you flex one more than the other, the color will move around and the two can look different for a short period. The up-close look, which I will try to capture with a better camera tomorrow, is not unlike a piece of wood that has been stained. There are darker and lighter areas, but with leather, those areas actually move. This clearly makes for a very casual shoe, and is often used to produce distressed briefcases, duffels, etc...

I can understand that it may not be to eveyone's liking, but the only way they would be defective is if there were not color variations.

Below is a wiki description of aniline leather, which was the best I could find:

Aniline leather is a type of leather dyed exclusively with soluble dyes without covering the surface with a topcoat paint or insoluble pigments. The resulting product retains the hide's natural surface with the 'grain', i.e. visible pores, scars etc. of the complete original animal's skin structure.

Aniline leather is not dyed with poisonous aniline. Originally, the dyes used for this process were synthesized from aniline through chemical reactions. These dyes used to be called 'aniline dyes' or 'tar dyes'. In modern times, the dyes used are subject to laws and regulations in many countries, and the use of certain azo compounds is prohibited as there are reasons to assume health risks.

Typically, leather is dyed both for aesthetic reasons and to conceal blemishes. The dye colours leather without producing the uniform surface of pigmented leather. Any visible variations on the surface of the undyed leather such as natural blemishes will remain visible.

There are different kinds of aniline leather, but the same kinds of dyes are used in the process. The dyes used are clear and transparent chemicals that allow the grain structure of the leather to be seen. These dyes show the natural texture, but do not protect the leather from damage.

Aniline leather may be referred to as full aniline or full sauvage leather to differentiate between this dye treatment and variants. Semi-aniline leather is produced through a very similar process to full-aniline, but has a thin protective top coat added to protect it from wear and staining. Pull up aniline leather has additional oil or wax applied to the leather to give it a distressed look.

If you have a pair of 403s, the leather is similar, but the color change effect is not as strong.

iansir

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Look nice; plaza last is always a good choice.

How are you finding the black kidskin? They appear to have taken a brighter shine than in Tom's pics on the blog (no offense Tom).

The kidskin is interesting...it is a very subtle pattern and you hardly see it unless you look closely. It also creases a bit more then typical Alden calf. I just had shined them up, so they look pretty damn nice
smile.gif

Mikeg1

Reaction score
Hey Alden Lovers,

This is my first time posting on the Forum. I've been monitoring the site for a weeks in anticipation of joining the team. Last week I received my first two pairs of Aldens. The J.Crew Alden Long Wing in Whiskey and the Tassel Loafer in Calf. I know cordovan is the preferred upper of the site, but still being in college makes my wardrobe extremely casual cool, it seemed a little to dressy for me.

Anyway here is my first of many troubleshooting questions: Thanks in Advance

I was out the other night with my Longwings on. When some goof spilled wine on my shoes. Bummer I know. The next day I used a damp towel to wipe off the stain and now one shoes is a lighter color than the other. My OCD is flaring and I need this fixed. Please HELP.

Troubled Alden Lover in Missouri

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mikeg1
Hey Alden Lovers, This is my first time posting on the Forum. I've been monitoring the site for a weeks in anticipation of joining the team. Last week I received my first two pairs of Aldens. The J.Crew Alden Long Wing in Whiskey and the Tassel Loafer in Calf. I know cordovan is the preferred upper of the site, but still being in college makes my wardrobe extremely casual cool, it seemed a little to dressy for me. Anyway here is my first of many troubleshooting questions: Thanks in Advance I was out the other night with my Longwings on. When some goof spilled wine on my shoes. Bummer I know. The next day I used a damp towel to wipe off the stain and now one shoes is a lighter color than the other. My OCD is flaring and I need this fixed. Please HELP. Troubled Alden Lover in Missouri
You already posted this above, no need to post it again. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...35#post4181135 J Crew doesn't even sell the long wing in Whiskey btw.

Mikeg1

Reaction score
Here is an image of the LW's. I'm sure it sounds novice, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

iansir

Reaction score
Ive wanted these shoes for years....it was finally time to suck it up and order them. Thanks to Adam at Alden of Carmel for the super fast service, I ordered sunday and got them Tuesday. Here are the virgin pictures...they will only be virgin until tomorrow
smile.gif

c861c5dc.jpg

number9dream

Reaction score
sorry Tobacco - and since it was not mentioned I figured it was ok to repost. Thanks

From the pic, I can't see any wine on the longwings at all. If I were you, I would use a very light soap and warm water solution to loosen the big stains with a gentle wash cloth, and then hit the shoes with a good cleaner/conditioner like Saphir Renovateur or Meltonian All Purpose Shoe Cleaner & Conditioner.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by LSBH today to see what goodies they have. They have the #4/black but smallest size is a 10 so no go for me.
frown.gif
Brian, as always, was helpful and friendly. I'm surprised he even remembered me since I've only stopped by one time last summer.

I was tempted to get a pair of Tricker's, but will hold off for now.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Here is an image of the LW's. I'm sure it sounds novice, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Tough to tell from the picture which is lighter. Once you have them cleaned as well as you can, you should use a wax such as Kiwi medium tan to help even out the color. (although any change will be VERY subtle)

To help clean, you can try saphir renovateur or meltonian cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads