• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Only by someone who doesn't understand "pull-up" analine leathers.
True, I'm not an expert on "pull up" analine leather. All I know of your shoes is what I see in the photo.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iansir
Austerlitz brogues after a few wears:

f61e3486.jpg

70fe1271.jpg

Look nice; plaza last is always a good choice.

How are you finding the black kidskin? They appear to have taken a brighter shine than in Tom's pics on the blog (no offense Tom).

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
7118s in natural sunlight on their first day out. Shows the color variation in the leather much better.

These look great.

Renton

Reaction score
After figuring out my size in Barrie, Trubalance, and the Hampton last, I've found that almost no one carries a 10.5 EE or 11 EEE, especially in cordovan. I'd love to put my name down for some of the fall orders for J. Gilbert, but I can't find a plaza last shoe in 11 EEE to save my life.
ffffuuuu.gif

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renton
After figuring out my size in Barrie, Trubalance, and the Hampton last, I've found that almost no one carries a 10.5 EE or 11 EEE, especially in cordovan. I'd love to put my name down for some of the fall orders for J. Gilbert, but I can't find a plaza last shoe in 11 EEE to save my life.
ffffuuuu.gif

That's because the Plaza only goes as wide as a single E.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

I'm pretty sure Alden does not make the EEE width on the Plaza last. I could be wrong, but the only last that you could get an EEE width is the Barrie last and perhaps the Trubalance last.

Renton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
That's because the Plaza only goes as wide as a single E.

Well, damn I couldn't even get a EEE plaza through a special order?
Originally Posted by interlockingny
I'm pretty sure Alden does not make the EEE width on the Plaza last.

I could be wrong, but the only last that is made width is the Barrie last and perhaps the Trubalance last.

I know they make EEE on the Hampton and Aberdeen last, but I don't know about across the line.

borderline

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

I envision an 11EEE to have the proportions of a long box of kleenex.

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justinaugust
As someone who walks very heavy and has done an intense amount of construction in his short 29 years on the planet I can say there is no way that I would wear a boot like the Indys to do any work in. Very little cushioning, not nearly thick enough leather and very little reinforcement in high stress areas. Now I'm a teacher and pound hardwood floors all day running around, jumping, dancing, singing and everything else. I love my thinner leather soled shoes for it. The 403/5 definitely is a fashion boot IMO and while that may rub folks the wrong way there's definitely nothing wrong with that. I only own 2 pairs of workshoes nowadays: Thorogood 8" and some Redwing non-moctoe shitkickers. Just my opinion.
Great to see someone else here who bought 405s/403s with having a workboot in mind! Alright...so I got an insole. THere is a whole variety out there...but in the spirit of Alden I got a Made in Spain leather insole with some gel cushioning. That helps out a lot with the cushioning issue. Now I don't feel like I am wearing Dutch wooden clogs.... I should say Thank God I listened to an older guy in real-life and bought 403s which are my dress shoe size (true to size). With the insole in...they fit well and true to size. Alden alwasy considers these "orthopedic" shoes, so I think the oversizing was intentional to accomodate your choice of insole. Now, there is the issue of the "feeling of wearing high heels". And as others have pointed out, these shoes are awful for wearing in cold/snowy/icy weather because there is no grip on the soles. I went to the cobbler and he attached a thick rubber (not Vibram) Made in Italy half-outsole. THis has a lot of grip, and also elevates the front part of a shoe a little, making it feel less like high heels. I didn't bother adding anything to the heel--there is a rubber piece there already... WIth these adjustments, these shoes feel OK. I am going downtown again to walk/work for >5 hours non-stop on my feet...First time doing this with 403s straight out of the box was a fail, i am keen to see how this will change now.

norweejun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
I know people get a little miffed by sizing questions here, but I'd appreciate some advice.

I have a pair of Alden Longwings on the Barrie last in 10D which fit perfectly. They are calfskin.

Until I got orthodics.

Now they are a bit tight. Pinch the outside toes a little. And a little straining on the lace up.

What's my better option if I want to buy another pair, this time in shell : Going up to a 10E on the Barrie, or a 10.5D? Or is that essentially the same move?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Why do people insist on asking strangers who have never seen their foot advice on what size to wear? Get fitted! Alden has a long history of making orthopedic shoes, why not use their competence?

A.L.Z.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norweejun
Why do people insist on asking strangers who have never seen their foot advice on what size to wear? Get fitted! Alden has a long history of making orthopedic shoes, why not use their competence?
because there is no one else to ask, and no where to try on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics