• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing burnish on shoes

dreamtripper

Reaction score
I have a nice pair of Edward Green RLPL Cardiff Chestnut shoes with the toe cap burnished. I happened to not like the burnish so asked a cobbler I know if they could do anything about it. They said they could use a chemical of some sort to remove the burnish but not damage the leather. When I got the shoes back the burnish was removed, but there appeared to be a thin film in the toe cap area making the finish of the toe cap look different than the rest of the shoe. Not sure what the film is but it appears to be dissolving with the use of the Saphir Renovateur. However, this is pretty time consuming. I realize my information is rather vague, but if you are familiar with this sort of situation, is there anything you would reccomend to use instead the Saphir Renovateur to make the toe cap area match the rest of the shoe? Thanks!

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did you think would happen if you treated one part of the shoe and not the whole shoe? My guess is they will never be uniform as they weren't intended to be. EGs burnishing is rather nice and many work hard to preserve it and replicate it on non-EG shoes.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst not likely to help you recover this mess trying to alter the manufacturers intent would be a good lesson to draw for the future. Chemicals rarely have 100% good outcomes, despite theories on the part of those anxious to help.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why you didnt like the burnishing, i don't know.

But to pay someone to remove it is beyond me.

You should understand that to many cobblers, time is money and they simply would choose the quickest rather than the best way out. It is not that difficult to get rid of the burnishing yourself with just saddle soap or a leather cleaner, even though it may take two tries. It appears that your shoe repair guy not only chose to use a stronger solvent but was spot cleaning it as well.

dreamtripper

Reaction score
I was willing to take the risk and am not blaming anyone (including myself) for the outcome which by the way really isn't bad. It's just taken me about 2 X 30 min attempts with the Rennovateur to get to about 90% uniformity. I suspect with one or two more applications and some polish they will look pretty good and uniform to the naked eye. Burnish or not - that's just personal preference. What I'm looking for is if there are any suggestions better than my current approach.
Originally Posted by upnorth
why you didnt like the burnishing, i don't know. But to pay someone to remove it is beyond me. You should understand that to many cobblers, time is money and they simply would choose the quickest rather than the best way out. It is not that difficult to get rid of the burnishing yourself with just saddle soap or a leather cleaner, even though it may take two tries. It appears that your shoe repair guy not only chose to use a stronger solvent but was spot cleaning it as well.

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
I was willing to take the risk and am not blaming anyone (including myself) for the outcome which by the way really isn't bad. It's just taken me about 2 X 30 min attempts with the Rennovateur to get to about 90% uniformity. I suspect with one or two more applications and some polish they will look pretty good and uniform to the naked eye.

Burnish or not - that's just personal preference. What I'm looking for is if there are any suggestions better than my current approach.

Of course this is after the fact, but what should have been done is to have had the entire shoe stripped, restained to the desired color, and repolished. This would have taken care of the issue of "uniformity" and provided you the quickest resolution of your problem - the dislike for "antiquing."
Anything else now will simply cost more money, should your efforts not produce the desired outcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads