• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacatfish

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ataru
I find this to be true. For example, while pants that are slightly too long or sagged slightly too much can subtly make someone's legs seem to be shorter, extremely cropped pants are so obviously shorter than necessary that it kind of takes leg length out of consideration (see aeglus' fits with the +J pants) and the same thing can apply with extreme stacking. Ditto with drop crotch pants and very sagged jeans, and both sneaker and boot tucks.

If Scott's legs are short, his style that makes leg length a non-issue is I think one effective way of keeping that from being a distraction. I don't dress like him but I like his style, including this last fit of his. His legs might look longer if he wore, say, wide leg repro khakis with big redwing engineer boots, but I like that he didn't choose to go down that path.

I have to disagree here. Leg length is never a non-issue.
The cropped pants worked for Aeglus because he had a cropped coat which combined with the high hem to effectively raise his waist line. That's a nice way to lengthen the lower half (since it is about length not "height"). Scott's fit combines low hem coat and cropped legs to visually shorten his lower half substantially.
If he doesnt care about that impression then that's cool, but I dont think it can be denied that it's happening.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
Brown shoes would've been better. Looks good though.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a full length picture and the shirt looks a little less shiny and blue

photo-6-1.jpg

I also have a picture of the same fit with a pink shirt (in retrospect, blurgh), and a more appropriate pocket square.

photo-5-2.jpg

ataru

Reaction score
Cacatfish, I'll admit that aeglus' use of cropped pants counterbalances the pants in a more traditional way (like belted military uniforms with boot tucks or the marlon brando cropped leather jacket with highly cuffed jeans), but I think scott's style works too.

When I look at the side view of Scott's fit, personally I don't see it simply as an upper half consisting of the coat and a lower half consisting of the pants, but rather as an upper half that consists of the shirt collar and the top of the coat from the hood to the waist, and a lower half that consists of the lower part of the coat + pants + socks + boots. The waist isn't as distinct as if he were wearing a belted coat or a cropped coat that ends at the waist, but I think it's still there, and that it would also be more obvious in motion. From the front, with the coat open, there are more elements bringing up a viewers attention so that he would be unlikely to see the bottom of the coat as a line of demarcation between his two "halves."

That's some of my reasoning as to why I think it works, although I can tell you that I thought it worked before I began to analyze why I thought so. And this analysis completely ignores the cool details which I imagine are supposed to be the main merit of the fit.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ataru
extremely cropped pants are so obviously shorter than necessary that it kind of takes leg length out of consideration (see aeglus' fits with the +J pants) and the same thing can apply with extreme stacking.
When treated as details, stacking, cropped pants, vertical lines, proportion play etc. are essentially visual tricks. When they're super obvious, your eye is no longer tricked, as the effect is blatantly staring you in the face. Realistically though, in real life situations, how tall someone looks is determined more or less entirely by what angle you have to tilt your head at to speak to them. I don't care how many vertical stripes you're wearing, if I'm looking down at you you're shorter than 6'2".

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
i6Tlzl.jpg

Originally Posted by Meis
Couple recent fits....

from when it warmed up the other day:
7yVW9.jpg

toj goodness strikes again.

obv im a fan of synths fits, but i really like the creativity here; pairing the structured toj dr with drapey tops and kva super stacks looks dope. shades are nice too.

reprehensible

Reaction score
IMG_1919.jpg

ToJ / Kohl's / Skull / Red Wings

The forum's recent enthusiasm for designer stuff makes me feel very plebian.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the fit MoK. Sunday relax mode:
ybSlk.jpg

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
evil sushi looks great

oh and tonio too
response:

looks comfortable for a sunday and good in that way, but i also agree with you

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Really? I have not been a big fan of Tonio's recent offerings, sorry mang but this baggy jean thing you're doing just looks like blah. SoCal's "this is just clothes" quote etc. Evil Sushi's jacket is a bit short but I like the boots.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
evil sushi looks great oh and tonio too response: looks comfortable for a sunday and good in that way, but i also agree with you
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Really? I have not been a big fan of Tonio's recent offerings, sorry mang but this baggy jean thing you're doing just looks like blah. SoCal's "this is just clothes" quote etc. Evil Sushi's jacket is a bit short but I like the boots.
I hear you guys. I get tired of wearing slimmed out everything all the time though. Like food and drink, I need variety in my life. A brutha just wants to be chill and not worry about stylin' all the time. I understand how the fits might not be too well received though.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
I hear you guys. I get tired of wearing slimmed out everything all the time though. Like food and drink, I need variety in my life. A brutha just wants to be chill and not worry about stylin' all the time. I understand how the fits might not be too well received though.

wearing wh sweats and wife beat while smoking cigar and drinking

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
wearing wh sweats and wife beat while smoking cigar and drinking

I like this scenario
fing02[1].gif

I'm wearing my W+H sweats right now too, sippin' on pink lemonade (hardcore, son!)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads