The WAYWT Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Eason, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cacatfish

Cacatfish Senior member

I find this to be true. For example, while pants that are slightly too long or sagged slightly too much can subtly make someone's legs seem to be shorter, extremely cropped pants are so obviously shorter than necessary that it kind of takes leg length out of consideration (see aeglus' fits with the +J pants) and the same thing can apply with extreme stacking. Ditto with drop crotch pants and very sagged jeans, and both sneaker and boot tucks.

If Scott's legs are short, his style that makes leg length a non-issue is I think one effective way of keeping that from being a distraction. I don't dress like him but I like his style, including this last fit of his. His legs might look longer if he wore, say, wide leg repro khakis with big redwing engineer boots, but I like that he didn't choose to go down that path.

I have to disagree here. Leg length is never a non-issue.
    The cropped pants worked for Aeglus because he had a cropped coat which combined with the high hem to effectively raise his waist line. That's a nice way to lengthen the lower half (since it is about length not "height"). Scott's fit combines low hem coat and cropped legs to visually shorten his lower half substantially.
    If he doesnt care about that impression then that's cool, but I dont think it can be denied that it's happening.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Brown shoes would've been better. Looks good though.

3. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Found a full length picture and the shirt looks a little less shiny and blue

[​IMG]

I also have a picture of the same fit with a pink shirt (in retrospect, blurgh), and a more appropriate pocket square.

[​IMG]

4. ataru

ataru Senior member

Cacatfish, I'll admit that aeglus' use of cropped pants counterbalances the pants in a more traditional way (like belted military uniforms with boot tucks or the marlon brando cropped leather jacket with highly cuffed jeans), but I think scott's style works too.

When I look at the side view of Scott's fit, personally I don't see it simply as an upper half consisting of the coat and a lower half consisting of the pants, but rather as an upper half that consists of the shirt collar and the top of the coat from the hood to the waist, and a lower half that consists of the lower part of the coat + pants + socks + boots. The waist isn't as distinct as if he were wearing a belted coat or a cropped coat that ends at the waist, but I think it's still there, and that it would also be more obvious in motion. From the front, with the coat open, there are more elements bringing up a viewers attention so that he would be unlikely to see the bottom of the coat as a line of demarcation between his two "halves."

That's some of my reasoning as to why I think it works, although I can tell you that I thought it worked before I began to analyze why I thought so. And this analysis completely ignores the cool details which I imagine are supposed to be the main merit of the fit.

5. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

extremely cropped pants are so obviously shorter than necessary that it kind of takes leg length out of consideration (see aeglus' fits with the +J pants) and the same thing can apply with extreme stacking.
    When treated as details, stacking, cropped pants, vertical lines, proportion play etc. are essentially visual tricks. When they're super obvious, your eye is no longer tricked, as the effect is blatantly staring you in the face. Realistically though, in real life situations, how tall someone looks is determined more or less entirely by what angle you have to tilt your head at to speak to them. I don't care how many vertical stripes you're wearing, if I'm looking down at you you're shorter than 6'2".

6. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

[​IMG]

Couple recent fits....

from when it warmed up the other day:
    [​IMG]

toj goodness strikes again.

obv im a fan of synths fits, but i really like the creativity here; pairing the structured toj dr with drapey tops and kva super stacks looks dope. shades are nice too.

7. reprehensible

reprehensible Senior member

[​IMG]

ToJ / Kohl's / Skull / Red Wings

The forum's recent enthusiasm for designer stuff makes me feel very plebian.

8. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

9. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

evil sushi looks great

oh and tonio too
    response:

looks comfortable for a sunday and good in that way, but i also agree with you

10. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Really? I have not been a big fan of Tonio's recent offerings, sorry mang but this baggy jean thing you're doing just looks like blah. SoCal's "this is just clothes" quote etc. Evil Sushi's jacket is a bit short but I like the boots.

11. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

evil sushi looks great oh and tonio too response: looks comfortable for a sunday and good in that way, but i also agree with you
    Really? I have not been a big fan of Tonio's recent offerings, sorry mang but this baggy jean thing you're doing just looks like blah. SoCal's "this is just clothes" quote etc. Evil Sushi's jacket is a bit short but I like the boots.
    I hear you guys. I get tired of wearing slimmed out everything all the time though. Like food and drink, I need variety in my life. A brutha just wants to be chill and not worry about stylin' all the time. I understand how the fits might not be too well received though.

12. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

13. jet

jet Persian Bro

I hear you guys. I get tired of wearing slimmed out everything all the time though. Like food and drink, I need variety in my life. A brutha just wants to be chill and not worry about stylin' all the time. I understand how the fits might not be too well received though.

wearing wh sweats and wife beat while smoking cigar and drinking

14. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

wearing wh sweats and wife beat while smoking cigar and drinking

I like this scenario [​IMG]

I'm wearing my W+H sweats right now too, sippin' on pink lemonade (hardcore, son!)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.