• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oak Street Bootmakers

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
I want to order a pair of Vibram sole trail oxfords really soon but I'm still so torn. I'm pretty much a US8.5D in any dress shoe. 8.5 in Clark Desert Boots, 8 in Alden Indy Boots. Some salesman quickly measured me in a brannock device a while back and said I was an 8D which I'm not sure I even believe anymore. I want to wear these in the warm weather without socks. Oak Street tells me stick with 8.5, SF logic seems to be absolutely size down .5 What do I do!!!
Here's my input on the topic after a couple weeks of wear in my 1/2 size down 8.5's: Only size down from your Brannock size if you plan on wearing the shoes exclusively sock-less. These fit me pretty much perfectly without socks but it is a bit of a squeeze with them. The CXL leather will stretch to comfort to your foot fairly quickly - my first day of wear I was developing blisters but by the second day that went away and is no longer a problem. Here's my final word after having them in my true size and sizing down: My true size, 9, slipped around at the heel. Maybe that is just my case and I need to use inserts, but that is not really something I want to do. They fit like a glove now, but as you can see they are forming to my foot and bulging slightly where my pinky toe sits. This isn't uncomfortable at all, but is definitely due to them being sized down. The shoes have a generous toe box - I'm nowhere near jamming my toes into the end, if you see in the pictures the spot where the leather is slightly lighter is actually where my big toe is. If I were to do it again, which I probably will for another style, I think sockless I would go with 1/2 size down again, but if I want to wear them both ways I'd go with my true size and deal with a bit of slip or tie them really tight sockless. I've only been wearing them for two weeks and they have already conformed nicely to my foot and are super comfortable. Hope this helps.
ip9ool.jpg
oixgEl.jpg
iBYYhl.jpg

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why I love SF. Two great responses in less than an hour. I dont like my shoes super-tight, especially sockless/outside in the hot weather. Going with the 8.5s!

Thanks again
worship.gif

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
im an 8.5 in just about everything and i measured right at an 8.5 on the brannock. you can safely order whatever size you measure on the brannock and if i were you i would measure again just to be safe.

i tried on a couple 8s in oak street's and i could go down a half size but it would be really tight ... personally, i am more comfortable in my regular size but if you wear w/o socks you might be okay to go down a half size but they will be tight.

Whatever speaks truth here, and I've argued with him about this a bit on here. I'll just add, like I said above, if you want them form-fitting and don't mind some break in time, and have had issues with your heels slipping in moc shoes, 1/2 down should be good for you. Looking back, true to size probably would have work for me as well. I wonder what I would be reporting if I had been wearing my true size for the last two weeks. I still think I'm going to be happier in the long run sized down, but then again they aren't versatile in the sense that I won't be wearing these with thick socks, which could be nice as they do have the Vibram sole.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
Whatever speaks truth here, and I've argued with him about this a bit on here. I'll just add, like I said above, if you want them form-fitting and don't mind some break in time, and have had issues with your heels slipping in moc shoes, 1/2 down should be good for you. Looking back, true to size probably would have work for me as well. I wonder what I would be reporting if I had been wearing my true size for the last two weeks. I still think I'm going to be happier in the long run sized down, but then again they aren't versatile in the sense that I won't be wearing these with thick socks, which could be nice as they do have the Vibram sole.
Agreed, I measured myself to be 7.5D recently. My 7.5's fit me nicely when I slipped them on with socks. But since California weather permits sunshine most of the time with moderate temperatures, I really don't need that extra versatility for colder weather, so 7.0 was the best choice for me. I'm glad I sent them back too, and sized down, since I knew that heel slip would be bothering me right now. If I didn't send them back, I probably would be wearing mine with socks all the time. My oxfords have a bump in the toebox where my big toe is as well, and have conformed to my pinky toe, similar to your last pic.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered my 8.5 Brown Trail Oxfords w/ Vibram soles. Cant wait!!

ElliottPapineau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Amateur foot fetish video?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Now you know what they look like in action.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of ordering the Navy Trail Oxfords. Saw them here.. and kind of got addicted to looking at them. The vibrams look like they would be pretty ideal travelling shoes where you walk alot. I usually wear a 13, sized down to a 12.5 in the QUoddy Bluchers I bought recently...i might go with 13s in these though, hopefully they fit pretty true to size.
ffffuuuu.gif
This did it for me. http://simplethreads.wordpress.com/2...s-3-months-in/

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
Thinking of ordering the Navy Trail Oxfords. Saw them here.. and kind of got addicted to looking at them. The vibrams look like they would be pretty ideal travelling shoes where you walk alot. I usually wear a 13, sized down to a 12.5 in the QUoddy Bluchers I bought recently...i might go with 13s in these though, hopefully they fit pretty true to size.
ffffuuuu.gif

You should buy a pair - the Navy Trail Oxfords look even better in person. You'll have to wait anyways, so you might as well order now. I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the way they look and when you wear them all day long. They've been great so far when I've walked around all day; I'm very satisfied with the comfort, looks, value, and overall experience I've had ordering from George. Do you plan on wearing them with socks? If so, I'd go with 13.
smile.gif

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thinking of ordering the Navy Trail Oxfords. Saw them here.. and kind of got addicted to looking at them.

The vibrams look like they would be pretty ideal travelling shoes where you walk alot.

I usually wear a 13, sized down to a 12.5 in the QUoddy Bluchers I bought recently...i might go with 13s in these though, hopefully they fit pretty true to size.

ffffuuuu.gif

hey xericx. yes, you are correct. i would order a size 13 if your quoddys fit they way you like. you will see oak streets fit very similar (if not exactly) like quoddys. i have two pairs of quoddys and they fit exactly like my osb's.

lawlercon

Reaction score
Thinking of ordering the Navy Trail Oxfords. Saw them here.. and kind of got addicted to looking at them.

The vibrams look like they would be pretty ideal travelling shoes where you walk alot.

I usually wear a 13, sized down to a 12.5 in the QUoddy Bluchers I bought recently...i might go with 13s in these though, hopefully they fit pretty true to size.

ffffuuuu.gif

glad you liked my post. they're lovely shoes.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads