• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
No, but it might mean the PSP is done.

When LEC is reduced to giving a product away (and they apparently have a lot of product to give away), I can't imagine the folks at LE are happy with sales.

Just sayin is all...

Reminds me of Martin and Osa and American Eagle. But LEC does not have standalone stores, as far as I know. And they get a lot of press. It is hard to get a read on whether they are struggling or not.

That said, I'd like for them to stay around.

whimelyme

Reaction score
Does Land's End Canvas price match? I ordered a couple of things last week and now they have an extra 40% off everything on sale.

thisfits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
dirt bags. I was waiting for the blue one to go on sale.

The solid blue and white oxfords have never gone on sale.

Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
Reminds me of Martin and Osa and American Eagle. But LEC does not have standalone stores, as far as I know. And they get a lot of press. It is hard to get a read on whether they are struggling or not.

That said, I'd like for them to stay around.

I can't speak to M+O, since I only caught on to them near their demise, but I think it's worth noting that some items, like the above-mentioned oxfords, have never gone on sale. There are a few staples (solid oxfords, heritage cardigans, some of the shoes) that have remained full price. I imagine these are LEC's bread and butter.

Also, I think the "down home" feel Lands' End gives somewhat masks that fact that they seem to be an incredibly efficient and well-run business with great marketing savvy. I think earlier in this thread, someone noted that they were part of the initial focus group that led to the LEC line, and I think they recruited members right off of SF.

This article has a a little insight into that marketing savvy, as do the videos in this blog post.

Their red chambray is a great example of how efficient they are. Shortly after people went nuts over the J. Crew red chambray and it became scarce, LEC released their own. They may have been planning that product all along, but if not, they went from recognizing demand to design, manufacture, and sale of a product in a few short months, if not weeks.

TLDR; I think they're doing fine.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're keeping a close eye on this thread.
peepwall[1].gif

If so ... how about offering your blazers in Short sizes, guys? And could you talk to the folks over at mainline Lands' End about offering your Tailored Fit suits in short sizing, too? 36S and 38S would be great, thanks.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisfits
Their red chambray is a great example of how efficient they are. Shortly after people went nuts over the J. Crew red chambray and it became scarce, LEC released their own. They may have been planning that product all along, but if not, they went from recognizing demand to design, manufacture, and sale of a product in a few short months, if not weeks.

Good post, I enjoyed reading it. However, the above about the red chambray almost certainly isn't how it went down. I have a friend who works as a buyer for Eddie Bauer and she has told me that their products are specced out and production started 9 months to a year in advance. With the volume that Land's End does (which is more than EB), I'd say the chances of them turning around a shirt in weeks is very slim.

Dinky89484

Reaction score
I ordered some things a couple days before the 40% off and called them to see if they could adjust the pricing for me. They were able to, but then again, my order was still not yet processed (I ordered things on Friday night and on Sunday they bumped the sale to 40%). I've found that their customer service is really good...I suggest you just call them and give it a shot.

PatriotsFan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thisfits
The solid blue and white oxfords have never gone on sale.

I can't speak to M+O, since I only caught on to them near their demise, but I think it's worth noting that some items, like the above-mentioned oxfords, have never gone on sale. There are a few staples (solid oxfords, heritage cardigans, some of the shoes) that have remained full price. I imagine these are LEC's bread and butter.

Also, I think the "down home" feel Lands' End gives somewhat masks that fact that they seem to be an incredibly efficient and well-run business with great marketing savvy. I think earlier in this thread, someone noted that they were part of the initial focus group that led to the LEC line, and I think they recruited members right off of SF.

This article has a a little insight into that marketing savvy, as do the videos in this blog post.

TLDR; I think they're doing fine.

It wouldn't surprise me if they're keeping a close eye on this thread.
peepwall[1].gif

If so ... how about offering your blazers in Short sizes, guys? And could you talk to the folks over at mainline Lands' End about offering your Tailored Fit suits in short sizing, too? 36S and 38S would be great, thanks.

Yeah, it would be nice if they added 40s/42s sizes to their line of tailored sportcoats....I would definitely purchase if they did.

Walking Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinky89484
I ordered some things a couple days before the 40% off and called them to see if they could adjust the pricing for me. They were able to, but then again, my order was still not yet processed (I ordered things on Friday night and on Sunday they bumped the sale to 40%). I've found that their customer service is really good...I suggest you just call them and give it a shot.

When you ordered was the sale at 30%? I ordered some stuff Thursday night so I'm gonna call them and see if they can adjust the price. Thanks for the tip.

whimelyme

Reaction score
I ordered my stuff thursday night too. I just called and told them I wanted the 40% off coupon applied. They had to remove the free shipping coupon I had, but I came out ahead.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Trying to compare the V-Neck Sweaters. What are the thoughts on Cotton Wool (58% cotton, 26% nylon, 16% wool) vs. Cotton/Cashmere (95%Cotton, 5% Cash) vs. 100% Supima Cotton?

I'm mainly concerned with them holding their shape. How do these compare?

Doug C

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whimelyme
I ordered my stuff thursday night too. I just called and told them I wanted the 40% off coupon applied. They had to remove the free shipping coupon I had, but I came out ahead.
But was your order over $50? Because it's supposed to be both % and shipping if over $50. It makes since that one could cancel their order if it hasn't been process yet (if they refused to give both discounts), then turn around and re-order online with the 40% + shipping... so I wouldn't doubt they'd make an invoice adjustment if it hasn't shipped.. However, I'd be real surprised if they'd change the price after it's gone out. I entered a code on my second order for % (only) while there was a couple other better coupons going around... when I realized my mistake I called and the rep was not helpful in getting me a discount at all. She was actually kind of condescending about me asking for more of a discount after these great prices. She said the replacement code that I had (for % + shipping) did not include Canvas - and I had gotten that code here. Then after I came back to this thread (immediately) I found a different code for %+shipping that you would have thought she would have known of and maybe suggested. I would have rather had that jesture of friendship rather than the "hand written" thank you letter. I didn't complain and am not now, but just sayin', you gotta be realistic about the price matching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads