Lands' End Canvas

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by moosy, Nov 12, 2009.

1. jimmyv

jimmyv Member

The Cotton/Cashmere (95/5) has held it's shape best for me. The 100% Cotton, not so much. I ordered both in small and the cotton/cashemere fit well out of the bag. The 100% cotton seems like its a half size big. The waist/midsection is a little roomier than I'd like.

I ordered the Cotton Wool yesterday, so no verdict on that one yet.

2. ev01ut10ndt

ev01ut10ndt Senior member

I got the canvas sneakers and red chambray in today.

the chambray had a lot of loose threads...almost at h&m level. Construction-wise, everything seems solid. more pink than the jcrew chambray. Material I think might be thicker for LEC...have to go back to jcrew to see again. Fits very slim for a small...in between an XS and S in jcrew. Good length, so it looks great untucked.

the canvas shoes are like chuck taylors basically...thin padding. I normally wear 10.5 for chucks and the 11 LEC shoes fit perfectly. If anything, LEC fit better because they are wider than the chucks, which were slightly too narrow for me. Downside: the canvas is very thick and plasticky, so its not as comfortable as the chucks. They probably will get better as they break in. Construction reflects its low price: not as good as PF flyers or Converse, but better than what you would find at H&M. For around $10...can't complain! I love the white color.

3. colonelk

colonelk New Member

Got a few items recently with varying success.

Corduroy blazer was good deal for $35. Seems solidly made and fits well. Two canvas belts were also fine.

I got one solid silk-wool tie (gray) that looked fine. Seems like it will get fuzzy pretty quickly but that's part of the texture.

The other tie was a tartan silk-wool tie that showed up already really wrinkled. Not sure if it was a return or they just let it go out the door like that. Disappointing. I'm hanging it up to see if it will straighten out. Seems like a perfectly serviceable tie otherwise--decent deal.

The definite return is the "ranger belt" which in the picture looked like a casual leather belt for jeans. Instead it has this weird extension in front of the buckle that makes it impossible (if you are wearing any kind of pants with belt loops--which you almost certainly would be) to use any of the belt holes beyond the first one. The line of the belt is a little warped--not straight.

Very odd and seemingly some kind of design flaw. Going back tomorrow.

4. jbharris88

jbharris88 Senior member

The Cotton/Cashmere (95/5) has held it's shape best for me. The 100% Cotton, not so much. I ordered both in small and the cotton/cashemere fit well out of the bag. The 100% cotton seems like its a half size big. The waist/midsection is a little roomier than I'd like.

I ordered the Cotton Wool yesterday, so no verdict on that one yet.

Good to know. Does the Supima Cotton shrink back to its original size after hot water + dryer time?

5. Barkinator

Barkinator Member

6. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

Anyone pick up the mesh polos? Wondering how quality is... for $6 seems hard to go wrong.

Also, trying to decide between a small or medium for 5'9/150lbs. Ordered 2 smalls, hopefully they won't be too tiny. (I hate polos that run very short in the sleeves)

7. pimpmystyle

pimpmystyle Senior member

Tried on some shirts I got yesterday. The canvas shirts are super fitted. If I venture away from an arms straight down pose, the shirt looks like it will bust at the seams.

I think the shirts are going back, unfortunately. They look pretty nice. But, they're super tight in fit.

Also, the fabric when rubbed together, makes an odd rustling sound, like paper bags at the groceries store.

8. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Anyone pick up the mesh polos? Wondering how quality is... for $6 seems hard to go wrong.

Also, trying to decide between a small or medium for 5'9/150lbs. Ordered 2 smalls, hopefully they won't be too tiny. (I hate polos that run very short in the sleeves)

small is the way to go unless you're looking for the typical americana look.

9. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

Just got the engineer stripe chambray and a couple of the sale flannel plaid shirts. I really like the items. I have to say that I've become a pretty big LEC fan. I just don't find myself shopping that much anymore @ J. Crew since I can get arguably similar quality for (sometimes more than) half the price. If this was LEC's goal, then they've succeeded with me. Hope they keep this line going....

10. Doug C

Doug C Well-Known Member

The canvas shirts are super fitted. If I venture away from an arms straight down pose, the shirt looks like it will bust at the seams. I think the shirts are going back, unfortunately. They look pretty nice. But, they're super tight in fit.
    I don't know, when I read posts like this (and there have been a few), I tend to think you guys just have the wrong size and that an upsize is in order. The shirts I got didn't fit overly snug. Are people maybe sizing down like with jeans to maintain a slim look? 'cause with jeans you can get longer lengths but not so with most shirts.

11. jimmyv

jimmyv Member

@jbharris88 Not sure, haven't washed then yet. Was thinking I'd just send them all to the dry cleaners at the end of the season. Now that you mention it though, I think I'll try washing the 100% cotton and drying with a little heat to see if it will shrink up a bit. It was cheap enough that I don't mind experimenting. Will report back this weekend.

12. blynch

blynch Senior member

Just got the engineer stripe chambray and a couple of the sale flannel plaid shirts. I really like the items. I have to say that I've become a pretty big LEC fan. I just don't find myself shopping that much anymore @ J. Crew since I can get arguably similar quality for (sometimes more than) half the price. If this was LEC's goal, then they've succeeded with me. Hope they keep this line going....

I would say jcrew quality is significantly higher than LEC, button downs in particular (some of there tartans are solid). I do like LEC tshirts better than jcrew's though. However, LEC is stupid cheap and neither brands are really nice, so for cheap beater stuff I'd say LEC is the better bargain.

13. mess_

mess_ New Member

do they do international shipping?

14. Teger

Teger Senior member

anyone have a neck measurement on a M oxford?

15. Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother Senior member

But was your order over $50? Because it's supposed to be both % and shipping if over $50. It makes since that one could cancel their order if it hasn't been process yet (if they refused to give both discounts), then turn around and re-order online with the 40% + shipping... so I wouldn't doubt they'd make an invoice adjustment if it hasn't shipped..

However, I'd be real surprised if they'd change the price after it's gone out. I entered a code on my second order for % (only) while there was a couple other better coupons going around... when I realized my mistake I called and the rep was not helpful in getting me a discount at all. She was actually kind of condescending about me asking for more of a discount after these great prices. She said the replacement code that I had (for % + shipping) did not include Canvas - and I had gotten that code here. Then after I came back to this thread (immediately) I found a different code for %+shipping that you would have thought she would have known of and maybe suggested. I would have rather had that jesture of friendship rather than the "hand written" thank you letter. I didn't complain and am not now, but just sayin', you gotta be realistic about the price matching.

there's two 40% off codes

mine was over $50 and i didn't receive free shipping...i used CANVAS40

does the CANVASFS50 code give you free shipping??