• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Blamm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox
how do i keep my shoelaces on my dress shoes from untying themselves?
I also tuck the tied laces back into the shoe. Something I used to do in the military - and think it looks less cluttered

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Questions on suits:

1. What is the general consensus on SF on the best brands for RTW Italian suits? Zegna, Brioni, ...?

2. Why is it that I see such huge variations in asked for prices (for the same brand) of pre-owned suits on eBay? Some of the Italian suits for example start at $15 or less; others start in the hundreds.... I know that it must depend on age of suit, condition etc, but are there other factors such as line, etcs?

3. I tried some searches and couldn't find anything - is there a good link on understanding suit makers and brands on SF?

ltoolio

Reaction score
Are there any good guides around general rules/suggestions of pairing Sportcoats of varying pattern / texture to Shirts / Ties / Pants? I'm newly in the world of being able to wear Sportcoats to work, and have never needed to do so before. I can recognize something that I like and something that I think looks good, but have no clue where to start when it comes to putting something together from scratch. Example -
sportcoat.jpg
. I can visualize this going with dark grey pants, blue check shirt and a tie of some sort, but recognize I might be off...

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wingoose
how do alden's fit compared to AEs? I'm an 11D in AEs, would I be an 11D in alden's as well? Thanks.

Aldens run larger than AEs. I would size down at least half a size if not a full size.

Originally Posted by PipersSon
Questions on suits:

1. What is the general consensus on SF on the best brands for RTW Italian suits? Zegna, Brioni, ...?

2. Why is it that I see such huge variations in asked for prices (for the same brand) of pre-owned suits on eBay? Some of the Italian suits for example start at $15 or less; others start in the hundreds.... I know that it must depend on age of suit, condition etc, but are there other factors such as line, etcs?

3. I tried some searches and couldn't find anything - is there a good link on understanding suit makers and brands on SF?

In general I would say that those brands are held in high regard (not the highest but high). The problem is that those brands have been putting stuff out for years. Over the years many of these brands have gone through different phases, trends styles, and different lines. And by the last part I mean that some of these manufacturers have put out diffusion lines. These are lines that are made with much less quality than the higher end lines and are trading on the quality that the brand and worked to build up over the years.

Buing stuff used on eBay can be a real crap shoot. You really need to know who to buy from and exactly what you are getting. I would imagine that there is a lot of 3 button unvented stuff that be had for a bargain since that was all the rage 15 years ago, but now looks woefully out of style.

Originally Posted by ltoolio
Are there any good guides around general rules/suggestions of pairing Sportcoats of varying pattern / texture to Shirts / Ties / Pants?

I'm newly in the world of being able to wear Sportcoats to work, and have never needed to do so before.

I can recognize something that I like and something that I think looks good, but have no clue where to start when it comes to putting something together from scratch.

Example -
sportcoat.jpg

I can visualize this going with dark grey pants, blue check shirt and a tie of some sort, but recognize I might be off...

The first thing you should know is that the coat pictured in the image above is most likely an orphaned suit jacket. Most of the time you wouldn't really wear worsted wool with pinstripes as a sport coat.

As for your first question I would really consider either reading The Suit by Nicholas Antongiovanni or Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser. Both of these have sections that talk about the use of odd jackets as well as matching/combining patterns.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Questions on suits:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...suit+hierarchy

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

?

Starting prices on Ebay are just marketing.

If you start something cheap people think BARGAIN. They start thinking it's already won. They start bidding. Soon you have a bidding war. The ideal is to combine a low starting price with a well written description. With luck you end up with a handful of people thinking you're a victim they are going to steal from.

If you start high you turn off the bargain seekers.

Brandon -B-

Reaction score
I have a Filson Tin cruiser. The Idea was to get a classic light jacket that showed patina similar to a leather jacket without leather. My wife hates it and says it's a farmers jacket plus it has a waxy cottony smell. How does this forum feel about something like this in general?

10005-main-242.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brandon -B-
I have a Filson Tin cruiser. The Idea was to get a classic light jacket that showed patina similar to a leather jacket without leather. My wife hates it and says it's a farmers jacket plus it has a waxy cottony smell. How does this forum feel about something like this in general?

You may get more of a response if you post this over in the SW&D section.

That said, that particular jacket is a little casual. If it's not too late you may consider changing jackets into the cover cloth. It's a little softer, but still has the waxed cotton water resistant benefits you may be looking for.

As for the smell, well it's an acquired taste (er...smell), but over time it will dissipate).

If you do decide to change coats, look at Crane's Country Store. Their prices are better than Filson's, and if you call them personally they will cut you a rate and usually throw in free shipping.

kungapa

Reaction score
Once again, regarding Swims, haha:

Do they run TTS, or should I get larger than recommended? I tend to be a 8.5 US in size, and the Swims sizing chart suggest M, but I have heard here that they tend to run small. Should I size up to medium?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics