Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mrtef3

mrtef3 Active Member

Continuing with drop questions, what does it mean when there's a drop listed in a sport coat? I've picked up one sport coat, size EU54, that lists the drop as 8, and I'm fairly certain it isn't an orphaned suit jacket. On the other hand, I've got another coat which I thought might be an orphan, but it has an "R" drop on the tag, instead of a number.
    An educated guess: they are telling you what the tapering is between the chest and girth measurements of the jacket. Anyone?

2. southernstyle

southernstyle Senior member

Does Drakes ship to the United States?

[​IMG]

3. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

4. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Senior member

I need to buy my first suit. I would like to get something that is versatile (as you can tell from it being my only suit I guess lol) and am not sure where to start. I would like to spend under 500, so I am going to be either combing the B&S or hitting up super sale spots.

I am 6'3, weigh 225 and have a 44-46" chest and ~37" waist. I am a big midwestern dude lol.

I would love any suggestions that you guys have for suits for bigger guys. I have seen a rag and bone charcoal herringbone suit in the B&S, and also AR_Six'es Polo Nailhead, but I am not sure how versatile those would be.

Like I said, any help would be much appreciated.

5. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

Jones the Bootmaker......

Any good?

6. indianshaft

indianshaft Senior member

If I fit into a 10 AE Bayridge does that apply to all their shoes?

7. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Continuing with drop questions, what does it mean when there's a drop listed in a sport coat? I've picked up one sport coat, size EU54, that lists the drop as 8, and I'm fairly certain it isn't an orphaned suit jacket. On the other hand, I've got another coat which I thought might be an orphan, but it has an "R" drop on the tag, instead of a number.

Drop is the same either way. Don't over think it. Most people don't really think sport coat/orphan so they can't change the meaning of words like drop. A drop 8 jacket will fit some one with at least an 8 drop.

Are you sure the R is drop and not length?

8. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Jones the Bootmaker......

Any good?

No, I'm afraid not. Not Northampton made, if that's what you're asking.

9. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG] I've been wanting some grey glen plaid pants with a slight blue window pane. The regulars so far - Mabitex, Pantas, HY, and Epaulet - don't seem to stock them. Anyone have leads? Would like a slim fitting pair, flat fronts, 100% wool, etc etc etc.

10. Yika

Yika Senior member

If I fit into a 10 AE Bayridge does that apply to all their shoes?

No, the last can vary in width from model to model.

11. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

An educated guess: they are telling you what the tapering is between the chest and girth measurements of the jacket. Anyone?

Drop is the same either way. Don't over think it. Most people don't really think sport coat/orphan so they can't change the meaning of words like drop. A drop 8 jacket will fit some one with at least an 8 drop.

Are you sure the R is drop and not length?

Sorry for the crappy quality, but all I've got's a phone and bad lighting. You can at least kinda make out that it says "Drop" over the "R"
    [​IMG]
    Size: 40, Drop: R
    This is the gray Corneliani jacket with various gray and white pinstripes. I thought it might be orphaned, since it's pinstriped, but the "Drop: R" and the brown buttons make me think maybe not. Surely a suit would have a size for the drop.

[​IMG]
    This is the velvet Canali jacket, which I assumed was a sport coat, but I was told in the thrift thread that the 8 signifies the drop. That's odd for two reasons: 1) it's in EU sizing, meaning this is an 8cm drop, which seems like an irregularly small drop if it is a suit, and B) I wouldn't think a sport coat would have a drop listed at all, since there are no pants to be "dropped" to.

12. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

First the drop is in inches even on Italian jackets. Don't ask me to explain it but it's the way it is.

I know Zegna at least for all odd jackets lists drop. It's easy enough with Zegna to tell odd jackets because the label will say giacca Italian for jacket.

It's not the pants the drop is to but you. Think of the guys with a drop 4. No point even trying on a drop 8.

13. EricX

EricX Member

14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I know Zegna at least for all odd jackets lists drop.

Caruso and Corneliani as well.

15. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

No, I'm afraid not. Not Northampton made, if that's what you're asking.

saw something on ebay I thought might have potential, gonna take off my watch list now - thanks for the info!