• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Do you have any experience with Clive Christian C?

I just tried this for the first time a few days ago. I was amazed how much I liked it. It's extremely spicy on top--saffron and clove were the notes I noticed most. As it dries down, it remains spicy, but a hint of sweet vanilla emerges too. I can't justify $375, or whatever NM is charging for it, but I was really tempted. (My brother actually offered to buy it for my birthday, but I couldn't ask anyone to spend that kind of money on a fragrance!) You should really give it a try.

I wore Tom Ford Extreme today. I often go a long time without wearing it, and I forget just how much I like it.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Wore Tauer L'air du desert morocain today.

Ordered Le Labo Poivre 23 today, and was going to get Gaiac 10 as well, but PC was sold out. If anyone knows where I can get a decent sized decant send me a pm please.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thoughts on this Tom Ford sample collection?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOM-FORD-PRIVATE...#ht_570wt_1166

Those 4ml Tom Ford samples typically sell for between $18 and $22 on ebay. If you can get the set at the current price, that would be pretty good. Also, because the TF Private Blends have such good longevity, the 4ml samples really last quite a while.

Everything in the line of TF Private Blends is very good, IMO, so I don't think you're going to waste your money if you sample them.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Those 4ml Tom Ford samples typically sell for between $18 and $22 on ebay. If you can get the set at the current price, that would be pretty good. Also, because the TF Private Blends have such good longevity, the 4ml samples really last quite a while. Everything in the line of TF Private Blends is very good, IMO, so I don't think you're going to waste your money if you sample them.
I know it's a really good deal. Thing is, I wouldn't want 4 ml; it's a bit much. Plus, I've been looking at this seller's past sales, and he also sells 1.5 ml spray bottles of 10 TF frags. This is much more appealing to me because a) it's cheaper, and b) they're sprays. Also peculiar is the fact that his sales are always on the cheaper side and mostly have 1 bid sales with no bid wars driving up the price. It's as if no one bids on his Tom Ford frags. Weird. Edit: do these bottles in the pic look like 1.5 ml spray bottles? Seems to be a lot more than 1.5 ml.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_490wt_1202

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know it's a really good deal. Thing is, I wouldn't want 4 ml; it's a bit much. Plus, I've been looking at this seller's past sales, and he also sells 1.5 ml spray bottles of 10 TF frags. This is much more appealing to me because a) it's cheaper, and b) they're sprays.

Also peculiar is the fact that his sales are always on the cheaper side and mostly have 1 bid sales with no bid wars driving up the price. It's as if no one bids on his Tom Ford frags. Weird.

Edit: do these bottles in the pic look like 1.5 ml spray bottles? Seems to be a lot more than 1.5 ml..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_490wt_1202

Ahh, I see. I've refrained from buying from this seller for some of the reasons you mentioned.

I've got a lot of TF samples that look just like the ones you linked to. I don't know how precisely TF measures, but I can tell you that the bottles say 1.5 ml on them. This might seem like a petty complaint, but I haven't been happy with the way any of my 1.5 ml samples have sprayed. The fragrance comes out like a stream, rather than being diffused. I actually prefer the 4 ml samples.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
Wore Tauer L'air du desert morocain today. Ordered Le Labo Poivre 23 today, and was going to get Gaiac 10 as well, but PC was sold out. If anyone knows where I can get a decent sized decant send me a pm please.
Where did you get the Poivre decant from? I've been interested in trying that one to see how it stacks up to Piper Nigrum.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Where did you get the Poivre decant from? I've been interested in trying that one to see how it stacks up to Piper Nigrum.

If you are wanting a pepper fest, I'll also recommend a few other "must tries:"
L'a P Poivre Piquant
Caron Poivre
TDC Rose Poivree

The L'a P is probably the most unique... a pepper with milk. Gives a strange spice/creaminess that is really quite lovely.

The Caron is pepper with cloves... also unique and, as a parfum, lasts forever, with the best drydown. It's an "urn" Caron, so hard to find... but you could call the Caron store in NYC and they will probably send you a sample (ask for Diane)

TDC is polarizing... pepper, rose, and civet... so not for the faint of heart, but a wonderful experience.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs Rach. I've already tried the LA PP and TDC. Poivre Piquant isn't bad but its not really bottle worthy. Rose Poivree is some of the most god awful smelling **** ever. No Caron outlet nearby and I've never really been that fond of their scents to begin with. Piper Nigrum is really the only one that's been worthwhile to me so far.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs Rach. I've already tried the LA PP and TDC. Poivre Piquant isn't bad but its not really bottle worthy. Rose Poivree is some of the most god awful smelling **** ever. No Caron outlet nearby and I've never really been that fond of their scents to begin with. Piper Nigrum is really the only one that's been worthwhile to me so far.
Haha, not a Civet fan, eh?
lol8[1].gif
I guess you don't like Kouros, either? (lol) Civet is the great separator in the fragrance world. But, pepper is a unique note, and pepper fragrances run the full gamut for overall effect. That's one thing that makes it such an interesting note. Piper Nigrum is by far the most different of the lot, with the addition of menthol/mint that gives it a very crisp/clean/smooth feel, where in other scents (TDC, for example) it's almost confrontational, or clashing with the rose. The Poivre (Caron) probably blends it most smoothly. If you like the Nigrum, I think you might like the Caron. BUT, then again, Caron tends to be very polarizing as a house, and this one has the Caron "ness" to it, so I definitely wouldn't do a blind buy. In addition to pepper, you'd also have to like Cloves to like the Caron, so if you hate Bay Rums (or if you know MPG Secret Melange) then it might tell you if you'd like the Caron. The only Caron stores I know that stock the urns are in Paris and NYC... it's not in the usual line-up, so I'd think you could only get it from the store. BUT, they're nice with free samples.
smile.gif

Dane

Reaction score
RP is one of my all-time favs!

Wearing Tom of Finland today.
bigstar[1].gif

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wow, that's really surprising! What is it about it that you dislike so much? I actually like it a lot--it's probably somewhere in my top ten.

Kouros for me today.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
If you are wanting a pepper fest, I'll also recommend a few other "must tries:"
L'a P Poivre Piquant
Caron Poivre
TDC Rose Poivree

The L'a P is probably the most unique... a pepper with milk. Gives a strange spice/creaminess that is really quite lovely.

The Caron is pepper with cloves... also unique and, as a parfum, lasts forever, with the best drydown. It's an "urn" Caron, so hard to find... but you could call the Caron store in NYC and they will probably send you a sample (ask for Diane)

TDC is polarizing... pepper, rose, and civet... so not for the faint of heart, but a wonderful experience.

Hermes Poivre Samarcande is a very true green peppercorn smell. It's also very fleeting and very expensive.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dane
RP is one of my all-time favs! Wearing Tom of Finland today.
bigstar[1].gif

Blech. And +1 on ToF. I really need to get a large decant of that or start up a split.
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Wow, that's really surprising! What is it about it that you dislike so much? I actually like it a lot--it's probably somewhere in my top ten. Kouros for me today.
It ranks right below Alexander McQueen's Kingdom for scents that make me smell like an unwashed ****. Just awful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads