Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Bond #9 New Haarlem with Gramercy Park. I'm not sure this one is working [​IMG]
    Danger is right (haha). Try Little Italy; it's been a few years, but I seem to recall that one working well. I know some mix Bonds together, but I rarely did. I did New haarlem with others in my collection. I didn't have these two at the same time, but a Lily Soliflore like Diorissimo with New Haarlem seems lovely to me. One of the Bonds... I can't remember now (I think one of the warhol ones) has a violet-heavy note... that might be nice, too. Carnation would be lovely... Guerlain Terracotta voile d'ete or bellodgia... A rose Soliflore might be nice as well... It might be cloying and kill you, but a sweet oriental like Opium might be interesting, too. I dunno, though, because it might just be too much.

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sycomore again today. I really like this. The vetiver note is similar to the one in Vetiver Extraordinaire, but it's toned down and blended with some delicate sweet supporting notes that I can't really identify. A very eleagant take on the style.

3. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

Czech & Speake Frankincense and Myrrh today. e: nvm

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Danger is right (haha). Try Little Italy; it's been a few years, but I seem to recall that one working well.

huh, I just recomended that to someone on BN's like a few days ago.

I've also just got hit with a massive VISA bill and in part it was about 6+ new bottle purchases, so I've basically just packed away my collection and plan to spend the next few (3) months using up all my samples and only using swapping to get more juice. here's hoping.

today - Claiborne Sport - blech.

5. A.L.Z.

A.L.Z. Senior member

Sorry to interrupt....but a general question about fragrances...

Has anyone used any Diptyques? Which ones do you consider suitable for a man? They say all are unisex, but IMO some of definitely decidedly feminine...

6. rioni

rioni Senior member

The only one that I've tried and liked (and own) is Philosykos. It looks like I first tried this on recommendation from rach [​IMG]
    Sorry to interrupt....but a general question about fragrances... Has anyone used any Diptyques? Which ones do you consider suitable for a man? They say all are unisex, but IMO some of definitely decidedly feminine...

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Purple Patchouli today.

8. Master-Classter

Sorry to interrupt....but a general question about fragrances...
    Has anyone used any Diptyques? Which ones do you consider suitable for a man? They say all are unisex, but IMO some of definitely decidedly feminine...

pretty good line. Try find a local boutique or distributor, otherwise try calling their boutique and asking them to send you samples, then email/call the company directly, or as a last resort go to theperfumedcourt for samples.

Tam Dao is a very nice dry sandalwood. many swear by it.
    Philosykos is a green/milky fig.
    those are probably the more interesting, masculine, and popular ones...

personally i also like L'Eau de Tarocco (oranges and something) and Essense of Galiano (quite smokey and spicey0, although they're both technically room sprays so tehy're cheaper but may not last as long.

PS - how's this?! our local little meetup got some news coverage

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Sorry to interrupt....but a general question about fragrances... Has anyone used any Diptyques? Which ones do you consider suitable for a man? They say all are unisex, but IMO some of definitely decidedly feminine...
    Philosikos and Tam Dao are the only real winners IMO and even that is a stretch. They neutered the sandalwood in Tam Dao a while back and its just never been the same. People like Eau Lente but god only knows why. MC - that's pretty cool. How did it go?

10. Master-Classter

MC - that's pretty cool. How did it go?
    it was good! this was the third one we did, there were around ten to fifteen of us there and we all just sort of chatted away about random stuff, not all even fragrance related. there was some swapping of samples and other stuff. so yeah, fun. I'm planning on doing another one for around april/may.

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Received a sample of tobacco vanille.

Not as complex as I hoped it would be. Very one dimensional and doesn't progress much over time. Not a bad scent, overall, but def. did not live up to the hype for me. Although, I do appreciate its longevity.

I find my cheaper kiehl's musk much better.

12. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Never tried Kiehl's Musk, but I agree that TV is very one dimensional. It is high quality and I like a lot about it, but it seems definitely over hyped. In the Tom Ford line, I like Moss Breches better. I'm looking forward to trying out Tuscan Leather (thanks Rioni).

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Yeah, I'm curious to try out oud wood and tuscan leather. I'm also really curious about clive christian c.

14. Master-Classter

GreenFrog, if you're going to try the oud wood, I suggest also trying Noir de Noir, plus if you like the keihl's musk and want some (ok a lot) of sweetness, try Musc Ravageur.

I agree that TFTV is pretty one dimensional but it's very potent, lasts forever, and in some ways it's different from everything else because it's consistent over time, so it's sort of like you put it on and forget about it instead of other frags that keep changing every few hours.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

GreenFrog, if you're going to try the oud wood, I suggest also trying Noir de Noir, plus if you like the keihl's musk and want some (ok a lot) of sweetness, try Musc Ravageur.

I agree that TFTV is pretty one dimensional but it's very potent, lasts forever, and in some ways it's different from everything else because it's consistent over time, so it's sort of like you put it on and forget about it instead of other frags that keep changing every few hours.

Yup. Like I said, I definitely appreciated its longevity. I can still smell it even though I sprayed it on hours and hours ago.

Do you have any experience with Clive Christian C?