Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. achanna

achanna Member

Penhaligon's Castile​

[​IMG]

2. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Tried tobacco vanille for the second time. It's starting to grow on me.

Yeah it grew on me too! I still wear it sometimes, but it's not my go-to fragrance.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Yeah it grew on me too! I still wear it sometimes, but it's not my go-to fragrance.

I'm really tempted to purchase a sample set of the tf private blends line..

4. rioni

rioni Senior member

Penhaligons Sartorial from Sample

5. Dane

Dane Senior member

I'm really tempted to purchase a sample set of the tf private blends line..

Meh...I'm not impressed with them overall. Everything they make has a cheaper, and often better, alternative.

Oud Wood - Montale range (Original Aoud), or even an older bottle of M7.
    Noir de Noir - S-Perfume 100% Love
    Urban Musk - wash with ivory soap and then pet a cat
    Velvet Gardenia - Lauder Tuberose Gardenia
    Purple Patchouli - spend a day with Melissa Rivers

etc.

Wearing Multiple Rouge today. [​IMG]

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Meh...I'm not impressed with them overall. Everything they make has a cheaper, and often better, alternative. Oud Wood - Montale range (Original Aoud), or even an older bottle of M7. Noir de Noir - S-Perfume 100% Love Urban Musk - wash with ivory soap and then pet a cat Velvet Gardenia - Lauder Tuberose Gardenia Purple Patchouli - spend a day with Melissa Rivers etc. Wearing Multiple Rouge today. [​IMG]
    +1; glad to hear another fragranista arguing this point. [​IMG] As well, those prices mentioned for 4mls, which is really quite a small decant, didn't seem that great to me. With a little legwork, or a trip to one of the saks or stockists for the range, you could get samples for free. Many places also will give you free samples if you write a letter or call. I always get free stuff just by asking for it; Malle especially sent me a number of things just from sending them an email. JHL for me today.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Meh...I'm not impressed with them overall. Everything they make has a cheaper, and often better, alternative.

etc.

The only TF that really hit with me was Amber Absolute: the only reasonable alternative for that was Goutal's Ambre Fetiche - and it's not quite as over-the-top as AA.

Funny enough, someone commented a while back that when a house releases multiple scents as a group...only one really works. Ford released 12, and - to me at least - still only got one that really stood out.

Yatagan today.

8. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

The only TF that really hit with me was Amber Absolute: the only reasonable alternative for that was Goutal's Ambre Fetiche - and it's not quite as over-the-top as AA. Funny enough, someone commented a while back that when a house releases multiple scents as a group...only one really works. Ford released 12, and - to me at least - still only got one that really stood out. ... Yatagan today.
    I'm with you on AA. However, Armani Prive Ambre Soie (sp?) and Ambre Russe (parfum d'empire) were two alternatives that I also liked very much.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'm with you on AA. However, Armani Prive Ambre Soie (sp?) and Ambre Russe (parfum d'empire) were two alternatives that I also liked very much.

Daniel sent me a sample of Amber Soie (sp?) and I still haven't gotten around to giving it a good sniff. I think after AA I just shut down the evaluation processes for amber scents, since everything else started getting evaluated in terms of how they fell short of AA.

10. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

etc.

Hmm. I've been willing to pay for some of the Private Blends precisely because I couldn't find a cheaper or better alternative. For example, I don't know of anything on the market that's similar to Purple Patchouli, which is a fragrance that I absolutely adore. I thinking spending time with Melissa Rivers would be more expensive than buying a bottle, at least when you factor in opportunity costs! Likewise, I'm not aware of anything that would be a substitute for Moss Breches, which I also like a lot. I agree that Noir de Noir is in the ballpark of lots of other fragrances on the market, but so far I like Noir de Noir better than the others.

Sa Majeste La rose for me today.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

12. Dane

Dane Senior member

Daniel sent me a sample of Amber Soie (sp?) and I still haven't gotten around to giving it a good sniff. I think after AA I just shut down the evaluation processes for amber scents, since everything else started getting evaluated in terms of how they fell short of AA.

Ambre Soie would also be my fav amber...alternatively, Lauder's now d/c'd Youth Dew Amber Nude or Fendi Theorema (also off the shelves).

13. Dane

Dane Senior member

Hmm. I've been willing to pay for some of the Private Blends precisely because I couldn't find a cheaper or better alternative. For example, I don't know of anything on the market that's similar to Purple Patchouli, which is a fragrance that I absolutely adore. I thinking spending time with Melissa Rivers would be more expensive than buying a bottle, at least when you factor in opportunity costs! Likewise, I'm not aware of anything that would be a substitute for Moss Breches, which I also like a lot. I agree that Noir de Noir is in the ballpark of lots of other fragrances on the market, but so far I like Noir de Noir better than the others.

Sa Majeste La rose for me today.

They definitely have their merits...good perfumes...decent quality...I just didn't find any of them to stand out enough to warrant a purchase on my behalf.

...and I'm pretty sure I saw Melissa Rivers standing outside Mann's Chinese Theater asking people if they wanted a celeb-piggyback-tour of Hollywood. [​IMG]

14. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kouros today. Relentless.

15. Jvlivs

Jvlivs Member

Wearing Creed Green Irish Tweed today