• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ahriman4891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FENWAY
Had the opportunity to see the comparable Red Wing (Beckman) and Wolverine (1000 mile) boots in person and must say the Bean Engineer blows them away in terms of quality / construction. Unless you're wearing boots to sit in an office all day, the Bean options are the way to go.
Aren't both those options about 2x the price of the LLBean boots? As far as quality -- the captoes on my pair are cut a bit roughly / unevenly. It is a workhorse boot, so I figured not a big deal. I have not examined any of the competitors, cannot say how they stack up.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had the opportunity to see the comparable Red Wing (Beckman) and Wolverine (1000 mile) boots in person and must say the Bean Engineer blows them away in terms of quality / construction. Unless you're wearing boots to sit in an office all day, the Bean options are the way to go.
While I understand you're entitled to your opinion, I respectfully disagree based on simple fact that you're technically not comparing apples to apples. I've owned all three pairs and can attest to the construction and durabilty of the katadhin boots, but leather vs leather the 1000 mile and featherstone GT are much better. IMO.

FENWAY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
While I understand you're entitled to your opinion, I respectfully disagree based on simple fact that you're technically not comparing apples to apples. I've owned all three pairs and can attest to the construction and durabilty of the katadhin boots, but leather vs leather the 1000 mile and featherstone GT are much better. IMO.

With my Kahtadins and the Alden Ultimate Indys I picked up I have the bases covered. Good luck to those who opt for the thin leather RWs

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone boot tuck their katahdins? I wear pretty slim jeans and it looks a little silly trying to fit them over the boots.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
Does anyone boot tuck their katahdins? I wear pretty slim jeans and it looks a little silly trying to fit them over the boots.

try them cuffed
wink.gif

triumphman

Reaction score
With my Kahtadins and the Alden Ultimate Indys I picked up I have the bases covered. Good luck to those who opt for the thin leather RWs

Fenway how did you size on the boots...

I'm an 7.5 in Alden trubalance last.

How should i size in these boots?

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by triumphman
Fenway how did you size on the boots...

I'm an 7.5 in Alden trubalance last.

How should i size in these boots?

true to size I'm an 8 in Katahdins and a 8 1/2 in sneakers lol

fpr4

Reaction score
I am about to order my Katahdin's. Just want to get one more clarification on sizing. I wear a 13 in most trainers (Ascics, for example) but a 12 in most dress shoes (Kenneth Cole, Bostonian [I know]) and a 12 in Purcells.

What size would you recommend?

Harrington

Reaction score
Just received my new pair - Air Canada lost my luggage carrying the first set
ffffuuuu.gif

Ordered on Sunday, arrived today, as cheap and perfect as ever. Time to get to the breaking-in.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I'd start trubalance + 1/2 for Katahdin. Katahdin is on the ancient Munson last. LL Bean is great with returns so no worries if you are not happy with the first attempt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads