Calling all LLBean Katahdin Iron Works Boots owners

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmillz15, Oct 13, 2009.

1. nemo

nemo Senior member

RW Naturseal?

2. phazeonon

phazeonon Senior member

I was deliberating between the Katahdins vs Chippewa GQ boots for a week or so until i finally pulled a trigger on the Chippewa version online..

got mine yesterday over the mail, and boy it is one ugly clunky boots. the tacky orange hue on the side does not make it any better.. tried it on with raw denim, and felt like a construction worker.

I am gonna return it later this week. [​IMG]

would I be expecting something similar if i order LL Bean Katahdins as well?

3. illumin8em

illumin8em Senior member

you should post photos of proof, this would help others who may be on the fence as well.

I was deliberating between the Katahdins vs Chippewa GQ boots for a week or so until i finally pulled a trigger on the Chippewa version online..

got mine yesterday over the mail, and boy it is one ugly clunky boots. the tacky orange hue on the side does not make it any better.. tried it on with raw denim, and felt like a construction worker.

4. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

you should post photos of proof, this would help others who may be on the fence as well.

The LL Beans out of the box are brown not orange looking, IMO LL beans look way better once you put either Obenaufs LP or Oil I'll Post pics of mine that I recently bought and has one coat of Obenauf Oil

5. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

[​IMG]

6. BlueWord

BlueWord Well-Known Member

Orange fades to brown after a few weeks of wear. I can post a pic of mine, if you want to see what it looks like.

7. Revelator

Revelator Member

Have been enjoying my Chippewas for 15 years now. Mine look like Phaseshift's, except with round grommets.

8. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

Have been enjoying my Chippewas for 15 years now. Mine look like Phaseshift's, except with round grommets.
    A decade for my Chippewas. They are nearly indestructible, and super comfortable because of the pronounced inward curve where the Achilles tendon meets the heel. However, they are really clunky and I only wear them for messy work, manual labor and bad weather. They really darkened up after a few applications of leather conditioner or waterproofing. BUT, I will say the the GQ doesn't look as nice as the Iron Works for a casual-wear boot. I assume the GQ is made on the same last as Chippewa's "regular" 6" boot.

9. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

A decade for my Chippewas. They are nearly indestructible, and super comfortable because of the pronounced inward curve where the Achilles tendon meets the heel.

However, they are really clunky and I only wear them for messy work, manual labor and bad weather. They really darkened up after a few applications of leather conditioner or waterproofing.

BUT, I will say the the GQ doesn't look as nice as the Iron Works for a casual-wear boot. I assume the GQ is made on the same last as Chippewa's "regular" 6" boot.

I'd like to see both you and revlator's LL beans POST PICS!! MEOW!!

10. kojnglsmith

kojnglsmith Active Member

I just applied some Obenauf's LP to my pair of Katahdins but I'm still wondering how I should treat the boots considering I want them to last a really long time. If I really beat them up, go through snow, slush, water, etc. on a regular basis, will the Obenauf's be enough to give them a long life if I reapply occasionally and dry the boots once I'm inside?

11. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

12. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

13. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

This is a slightly different model -- 360-degree welt (is it reverse welt? I am not educated in shoemaking enough to be certain) and commando outsoles being the primary differences. Damn, I wish I saw them before I bought the Katahdins -- these look like they are suited to shitkicker duty better, even though they don't look quite as good.

14. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Had the opportunity to see the comparable Red Wing (Beckman) and Wolverine (1000 mile) boots in person and must say the Bean Engineer blows them away in terms of quality / construction. Unless you're wearing boots to sit in an office all day, the Bean options are the way to go.

15. asdf

asdf Senior member

Oh, here's the upload.

Nice looking boots.