• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Law School a Losing Game? Article

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Yeah I'm sure that's why everyone thinks you're an immature little twit.
sarcasm.gif

if i had never exposed my age you all would just assume i was an asshole. the immature bit is only introduced because you're aware of my age. my opinions aren't immature, they're just dickish. there's a difference.

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
I'd probably sink 60k into a law degree from Iowa, tbh (I grew up in DSM). Iowa's ranked top thirty or so, right? With a liberal arts degree, you really don't have a lot of options that have any upward potential. I'll be in just a little bit less for my JD/MBA at UGA. I don't think I've made a horrible investment.
Iowa is T30ish (closer to the ish end of things) - BigLaw out of there is tough as hell. You could make a way worse investment of $60k, though. Still, if you are willing to spend $60k and your ambition IS BigLaw, you should consider trying to get into a better school. $60k will be like $500/month in loan payments which ends up being quite a bit for someone making $50k/year (on top of rent, car payment, etc.)

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
if i had never exposed my age you all would just assume i was an asshole. the immature bit is only introduced because you're aware of my age. my opinions aren't immature, they're just dickish. there's a difference.
No, people would then just think you are an idiot.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
Iowa is T30ish (closer to the ish end of things) - BigLaw out of there is tough as hell. Has a good reputation for teachers, though.
Yeah, same as UGA. I don't think you could go to either school and expect biglaw. But as long as you do decently well, you can assume that you'll find something and that if you work hard and make some smart lateral moves, you'll end up doing okay in the long term. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I'd say you could easily get a positive NPV out of a law degree from Iowa at 60k in (assuming you're young/you're not leaving a decent position to go to school). The problem, I think, for students who get liberal arts degrees (and I think this is the fundamental problem with all of this law school stuff) is that you can make your $40-50k/year but there's little to no potential for growth in most of those positions.

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
I'd probably sink 60k into a law degree from Iowa, tbh (I grew up in DSM). Iowa's ranked top thirty or so, right? With a liberal arts degree, you really don't have a lot of options that have any upward potential. I'll be in just a little bit less for my JD/MBA at UGA. I don't think I've made a horrible investment.
Correct, Iowa is ranked 26. I agree, the liberal arts degree isn't ideal but I've enjoyed it a lot. Conne, $60k isn't chump change but it's no where near $250k in debt. I have a couple of options that I can fall back on if I do graduate and somehow fail to gain decent employment (read at least 50k). -Edit, I am young, I haven't finished UG yet. I'm honestly not sure if I want to do BigLaw or not? Haven't had enough insights from others or experiences to decide for myself. There are other law schools I could get admittance to but I'm hoping for a scholarship at Iowa. If I did and it turned to $0 debt then it'd take a good T14 gig to sway me from Iowa.

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Modern Day Adonis
Correct, Iowa is ranked 26. I agree, the liberal arts degree isn't ideal but I've enjoyed it a lot. Conne, $60k isn't chump change but it's no where near $250k in debt. I have a couple of options that I can fall back on if I do graduate and somehow fail to gain decent employment (read at least 50k). -Edit, I am young, I haven't finished UG yet. I'm honestly not sure if I want to do BigLaw or not? Haven't had enough insights from others or experiences to decide for myself. There are other law schools I could get admittance to but I'm hoping for a scholarship at Iowa. If I did and it turned to $0 debt then it'd take a good T14 gig to sway me from Iowa.
If BigLaw is ultimately what you want, for sure, then Iowa isn't the place for you. In 2009 they placed 19% of their class in the top 250 (by size) law firms. Only 9 schools placed 50% or more, fwiw.

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BC2012
If BigLaw is ultimately what you want, for sure, then Iowa isn't the place for you. In 2009 they placed 19% of their class in the top 250 (by size) law firms. Only 9 schools placed 50% or more, fwiw.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to do some more reading on Biglaw and decide what exactly I want.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not go to law school unless it was Yale, Harvard, or Stanford, or I had a family member or friend *guaranteeing* me a job after graduation. Sadly, I am a law student anyways.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone going to law school outside of tier 1 (real tier 1 ie top 5) is foolish and deserves to be an indebted barista

BC2012

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
anyone going to law school outside of tier 1 (real tier 1 ie top 5) is foolish and deserves to be an indebted barista

That's extreme. Also, which of Chicago, NYU, and Columbia are you leaving out of the 'real tier 1?'

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
columbia was in my tier 1 but i could be wrong. i mean real real tier 1 is prob harvard and yale, below that anything is a step down - the only relevant attribute of a law school is its prestige.

BC2012

Reaction score
columbia was in my tier 1 but i could be wrong. i mean real real tier 1 is prob harvard and yale, below that anything is a step down - the only relevant attribute of a law school is its prestige.
You obviously mean Yale, Harvard, and Stanford. Are you a law student? Your replies seem pretty off-base for someone who went through the process of getting into law school.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea stanford is just part of that left coast thing ... it doesnt have the same name rec on the east coast

BC2012

Reaction score
yea stanford is just part of that left coast thing ... it doesnt have the same name rec on the east coast
LOL @ it doesn't have the same name rec on the East Coast. Maybe not to your mom and her mahjong partners but to law firms it carries a ton of prestige, be it in NYC, Chicago or in San Francisco.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads