Is Law School a Losing Game? Article

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Rugger, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Rugger

Rugger Senior member

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Yes, please stop going to law school and graduating just to further crowd this field I'm working in. Go study criminal justice and work in a prison instead.

3. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Who has an account to the NYT? Fuck that shit.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

7 pages long, but that's the gist of it.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Everybody who ever wanted to read an article or use their archives?

6. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Everybody who ever wanted to read an article or use their archives?

Neither is a category to which I belong. If a website is going to make it a hassle for me to read their shit, I can get the information from one of a billion other places on the Internet.

Also, that article is kind of "Duh" and very indicative of students that have done no research about alums from their school and the industry in general.

7. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

i mean any time you have a really down economic turn you're going to have people going to law school at a normal pace while the job market can't catch up to the new grads.

but it's usually a bad bet to go $250k in debt for law school imo. that's a choice the guy made.

8. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Neither is a category to which I belong. If a website is going to make it a hassle for me to read their shit, I can get the information from one of a billion other places on the Internet. Also, that article is kind of "Duh" and very indicative of students that have done no research about alums from their school and the industry in general.
    The point is that their research may encounter fraudulent data. It is less reasonable to expect that every prospective law student look beyond distortions in data than to advocate that more stringent reporting standards be enacted, which is what some people in the article call for. Anecdotal evidence that you get from talking to a few alums is also unreliable.

9. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

The point is that their research may encounter fraudulent data. It is less reasonable to expect that every prospective law student look beyond distortions in data than to advocate that more stringent reporting standards be enacted, which is what some people in the article call for. Anecdotal evidence that you get from talking to a few alums is also unreliable.

Ah. This is different than what I took away from a piece of hb's snippet. We've had this discussion in several other threads (scattered in general, CE, etc) and the general consensus has been that stricter regulations are necessary for education in general. Schools won't police themselves because saying "10% of our grads are actually in the profession" makes you look bad. I do agree in general that post-secondary institutions get away with a lot of deceptive advertising that can be very difficult to navigate without an inside source.

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

^which is why you spend the 60 seconds or so it takes to register and be able to read anything the best newspaper in the US has ever published.

11. Modern Day Adonis

Modern Day Adonis Well-Known Member

Yes, please stop going to law school and graduating just to further crowd this field I'm working in. Go study criminal justice and work in a prison instead.

What, you don't enjoy the heavily saturated market?

I'm assuming you're primarily speaking to those attending Tier 3 and 4 schools? I see little point in pursuing a legal education if you're not going to be competitive in your class and/or nationally. The demand certainly isn't good enough to justify a legal education with mediocre credentials.

Nothing in the article surprised me but I've already done a good deal of research on the topic. However, I do agree that they should enforce stricter regulations in the surveys. Surveys without strict regulations are far too easy to manipulate.

12. rjakapeanut

i agree with you for the most part, but even a rudimentary level of research (which anyone should do while considering a $100k+ investment) would immediately show that you only get those high salaries if you finish at or near the top of your graduating class -- which means if a student is basing their decision to attend a school on the idea that they'll be earning that high salary from jump street they're also assuming they're going to do better than 95% of the other kids who are applying. and for that they deserve to be $250k in debt. it also explains why people hate lawyers.
    I'm assuming you're primarily speaking to those attending Tier 3 and 4 schools? I see little point in pursuing a legal education if you're not going to be competitive in your class and/or nationally. The demand certainly isn't good enough to justify a legal education with mediocre credentials.
    if you can get t2 or t3 with little/no debt coming out it's a great deal for you.

13. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

if you can get t2 or t3 with little/no debt coming out, have no aspirations for BigLaw, or can guarantee you finish in the top 1% of your class, or are okay with making $50k in a government job or trying to get your face plastered on a billboard it's a great deal for you.

Fixed that for you.

14. rjakapeanut

Fixed that for you.

nothing wrong with not wanting big law or working a government job. $50k a year is plenty for some people.

besides a JD opens doors for you.

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I truly feel sorry for all of my friends/acquaintances who are giddy about going to law school. Most of them will be going to Tier 2-4 schools, and will emerge with serious debt. Logic cannot bring them back from the cliff.