• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Roessler 2007 Pinot Nior SRH "Clos Pepe"

I have always liked the Roessler pinots, but I haven't had this one. They make a blend, Bluejay, that is made up from parcels up north, Mendocino County and the Sonoma Coast, that is really good and runs $20-25. It's a great deal.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Kistler?
I don't think any of them have Kistler though, which is a mailing-list-only wine, and their prices on high end wine is pretty outrageous. Like maybe they buy it at retail and then mark it up from there kind of outrageous.

Alot of the low end Kistler chardonnay makes it to retail. I don't know what the production is, but I think it's pretty high.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Funny! The Jewel in Oak Park/River Forest has some nice wines as well such as the 07 James Isosceles for around $60 and Grigch Hills in the $40 to $50 range...all stored in temp controled UV glass front cases! Granted still too steep for my wallet...but hey!

Off the top of my head they had the following in quantity (prices are reasonable, they even have a close out aisle):

Pinot
Ken Wright
Merry Edwards
Walter Hansel
Goldeneye
Tandem
Brewer-Clifton
Hartford Court
DuMol
Roessler

Cab
Anderson's Conn Valley
Kathryn Hall
Paul Hobbs
Lewis
Vine Cliff
Shafer
Lokaya

Chard
Most of the Pinot growers and...

Fevre
Vervet
Drouhin
Kistler
Bergstrom

In addition to these they have Margaux, Leoville, Pol Roger, Rothschild etc...

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head they had the following in quantity (prices are reasonable, they even have a close out aisle):

Pinot
Ken Wright
Merry Edwards
Walter Hansel
Goldeneye
Tandem
Brewer-Clifton
Hartford Court
DuMol
Roessler

Cab
Anderson's Conn Valley
Kathryn Hall
Paul Hobbs
Lewis
Vine Cliff
Shafer
Lokaya

Chard
Most of the Pinot growers and...

Fevre
Vervet
Drouhin
Kistler
Bergstrom

In addition to these they have Margaux, Leoville, Pol Roger, Rothschild etc...

Damn! That's an impressive list! Where I live I have a few nice options...from grocery stores like Wholefood, Trader Joes and Jewel to smaller boutique wine shopes like Marion Street Cheese Market and House Red. The latter tend to carry lesser known labels with a few more well known cultish ones thrown in for good measure like Shafer, Ghost Block and so on, but these are often priced to the hilt thus forcing me to hunt down quality cheapos as it were
blush.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I need to get on this Kroger mailing list.

Steve Axelberg or Joe Jackson
Fine Wine Manager
404-872-0782
winesteward-298ansley - at - stores - dot - kroger - dot - com

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Damn! That's an impressive list! Where I live I have a few nice options...from grocery stores like Wholefood, Trader Joes and Jewel to smaller boutique wine shopes like Marion Street Cheese Market and House Red. The latter tend to carry lesser known labels with a few more well known cultish ones thrown in for good measure like Shafer, Ghost Block and so on, but these are often priced to the hilt thus forcing me to hunt down quality cheapos as it were
blush.gif

Prices are reasonable with a few exceptions, Caymus and DuMol were about 15 - 20% higher than you'd find elsewhere - if you can find them - in GA. I got $4 off the bottle of Hanzel by using my Kroger loyalty card!

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prices are reasonable with a few exceptions, Caymus and DuMol were about 15 - 20% higher than you'd find elsewhere - if you can find them - in GA. I got $4 off the bottle of Hanzel by using my Kroger loyalty card!

HAHA!!! That's awesome!

We carried the Hanzel chard at the wine store I used to work at and I loved it! That and the Vine Clif chard as well.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coolpapaboze
I have always liked the Roessler pinots, but I haven't had this one. They make a blend, Bluejay, that is made up from parcels up north, Mendocino County and the Sonoma Coast, that is really good and runs $20-25. It's a great deal.

I've heard of the Bluejay but have never had any of the Roessler's - I think the business was recently sold.

I'll let you know how it tastes, I've had good luck with 2007 CA pinots.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard of the Bluejay but have never had any of the Roessler's - I think the business was recently sold.

I'll let you know how it tastes, I've had good luck with 2007 CA pinots.

When they started the label, Wells Guthrie was the winemaker and the wines were great. Wells has his own label, Copain, mostly pinot, but some Rhone varietals as well. Really young guy, but put out some well made wines from good north coast vineyards. Not sure if he's still making the wines for Roessler. Enjoy!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I don't know, whnay. Kroger card just seems so...not big timer!
wink.gif

Having this tonight. WTSO purchase. 2005 Bodega Carmen RodrÃguez Mendez Toro Caro Dorum Seleccion Especial

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I don't know, whnay. Kroger card just seems so...not big timer!
wink.gif

Having this tonight. WTSO purchase. 2005 Bodega Carmen RodrÃguez Mendez Toro Caro Dorum Seleccion Especial

Easy for you to say!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Easy for you to say!

laugh.gif
Yeah, no one can compare to the Spanish and German for making one long ass label.

It was very fruity but with a good tannic core. Acid was good but not high. Really a pretty nice wine. I've never had the Tinta del Toro grape before, and if this is a good example, would recommend.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Tonight is 2008 Stefania Chardonnay Chaine d'Or.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
laugh.gif
Yeah, no one can compare to the Spanish and German for making one long ass label.

It was very fruity but with a good tannic core. Acid was good but not high. Really a pretty nice wine. I've never had the Tinta del Toro grape before, and if this is a good example, would recommend.

I know right!

Tinta del Toro is just the regional name for Tempranillo. I've really enjoyed most of the Toro wines I've had as they're a bit bigger and richer than some Riojas...but that's just my palate talking...say reason why I adore Priorat, Penedes, Ribero, Biertzo and Jumilla wines.

Oh and Montsant

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads