The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Roessler 2007 Pinot Nior SRH "Clos Pepe"

I have always liked the Roessler pinots, but I haven't had this one. They make a blend, Bluejay, that is made up from parcels up north, Mendocino County and the Sonoma Coast, that is really good and runs $20-25. It's a great deal.

Kistler?
    I don't think any of them have Kistler though, which is a mailing-list-only wine, and their prices on high end wine is pretty outrageous. Like maybe they buy it at retail and then mark it up from there kind of outrageous.

Alot of the low end Kistler chardonnay makes it to retail. I don't know what the production is, but I think it's pretty high.

2. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Funny! The Jewel in Oak Park/River Forest has some nice wines as well such as the 07 James Isosceles for around $60 and Grigch Hills in the $40 to $50 range...all stored in temp controled UV glass front cases! Granted still too steep for my wallet...but hey!

Off the top of my head they had the following in quantity (prices are reasonable, they even have a close out aisle):

Pinot
    Ken Wright
    Merry Edwards
    Walter Hansel
    Goldeneye
    Tandem
    Brewer-Clifton
    Hartford Court
    DuMol
    Roessler

Cab
    Anderson's Conn Valley
    Kathryn Hall
    Paul Hobbs
    Lewis
    Vine Cliff
    Shafer
    Lokaya

Chard
    Most of the Pinot growers and...

Fevre
    Vervet
    Drouhin
    Kistler
    Bergstrom

In addition to these they have Margaux, Leoville, Pol Roger, Rothschild etc...

3. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Off the top of my head they had the following in quantity (prices are reasonable, they even have a close out aisle):

Pinot
    Ken Wright
    Merry Edwards
    Walter Hansel
    Goldeneye
    Tandem
    Brewer-Clifton
    Hartford Court
    DuMol
    Roessler

Cab
    Anderson's Conn Valley
    Kathryn Hall
    Paul Hobbs
    Lewis
    Vine Cliff
    Shafer
    Lokaya

Chard
    Most of the Pinot growers and...

Fevre
    Vervet
    Drouhin
    Kistler
    Bergstrom

In addition to these they have Margaux, Leoville, Pol Roger, Rothschild etc...

Damn! That's an impressive list! Where I live I have a few nice options...from grocery stores like Wholefood, Trader Joes and Jewel to smaller boutique wine shopes like Marion Street Cheese Market and House Red. The latter tend to carry lesser known labels with a few more well known cultish ones thrown in for good measure like Shafer, Ghost Block and so on, but these are often priced to the hilt thus forcing me to hunt down quality cheapos as it were [​IMG]

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I need to get on this Kroger mailing list.

5. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

[​IMG]

6. whnay.

Steve Axelberg or Joe Jackson
    Fine Wine Manager
    404-872-0782
    winesteward-298ansley - at - stores - dot - kroger - dot - com

7. whnay.

Damn! That's an impressive list! Where I live I have a few nice options...from grocery stores like Wholefood, Trader Joes and Jewel to smaller boutique wine shopes like Marion Street Cheese Market and House Red. The latter tend to carry lesser known labels with a few more well known cultish ones thrown in for good measure like Shafer, Ghost Block and so on, but these are often priced to the hilt thus forcing me to hunt down quality cheapos as it were [​IMG]

Prices are reasonable with a few exceptions, Caymus and DuMol were about 15 - 20% higher than you'd find elsewhere - if you can find them - in GA. I got $4 off the bottle of Hanzel by using my Kroger loyalty card!

8. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Prices are reasonable with a few exceptions, Caymus and DuMol were about 15 - 20% higher than you'd find elsewhere - if you can find them - in GA. I got $4 off the bottle of Hanzel by using my Kroger loyalty card!

HAHA!!! That's awesome!

We carried the Hanzel chard at the wine store I used to work at and I loved it! That and the Vine Clif chard as well.

9. whnay.

I have always liked the Roessler pinots, but I haven't had this one. They make a blend, Bluejay, that is made up from parcels up north, Mendocino County and the Sonoma Coast, that is really good and runs $20-25. It's a great deal.

I've heard of the Bluejay but have never had any of the Roessler's - I think the business was recently sold.

I'll let you know how it tastes, I've had good luck with 2007 CA pinots.

10. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I've heard of the Bluejay but have never had any of the Roessler's - I think the business was recently sold.

I'll let you know how it tastes, I've had good luck with 2007 CA pinots.

When they started the label, Wells Guthrie was the winemaker and the wines were great. Wells has his own label, Copain, mostly pinot, but some Rhone varietals as well. Really young guy, but put out some well made wines from good north coast vineyards. Not sure if he's still making the wines for Roessler. Enjoy!

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I don't know, whnay. Kroger card just seems so...not big timer! [​IMG]

Having this tonight. WTSO purchase. 2005 Bodega Carmen RodrÃguez Mendez Toro Caro Dorum Seleccion Especial

12. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

I don't know, whnay. Kroger card just seems so...not big timer! [​IMG]

Having this tonight. WTSO purchase. 2005 Bodega Carmen RodrÃguez Mendez Toro Caro Dorum Seleccion Especial

Easy for you to say!

13. Piobaire

Easy for you to say!

[​IMG] Yeah, no one can compare to the Spanish and German for making one long ass label.

It was very fruity but with a good tannic core. Acid was good but not high. Really a pretty nice wine. I've never had the Tinta del Toro grape before, and if this is a good example, would recommend.

14. Piobaire

Tonight is 2008 Stefania Chardonnay Chaine d'Or.

15. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

[​IMG] Yeah, no one can compare to the Spanish and German for making one long ass label.

It was very fruity but with a good tannic core. Acid was good but not high. Really a pretty nice wine. I've never had the Tinta del Toro grape before, and if this is a good example, would recommend.

I know right!

Tinta del Toro is just the regional name for Tempranillo. I've really enjoyed most of the Toro wines I've had as they're a bit bigger and richer than some Riojas...but that's just my palate talking...say reason why I adore Priorat, Penedes, Ribero, Biertzo and Jumilla wines.

Oh and Montsant