• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jazzbutcher

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. I spotted a pair of "Esquire by Edward Green" wingtips while thrifting today. No sign of "Made in England" which seemed odd. Does anybody know what these are exactly?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simon.
Why is it acceptable for a morning suit in daylight to be black?

A morning coat (notice the distinction between coat and suit) is black because black is the most formal of colors. A morning suit usually isn't black. They are actually quite uncommon, and the ones I have seen are usually gray or charcoal.

krspdla

Reaction score
I'm an undergraduate business student in a school where suits are worn quite often for events. As of right now, I have a light grey suit which I have been told is not very approporiate for business, and have been recommended to go with charcoal instead. Are there any brands I should look out for that make good quality suits at a low price (< $600). If it has any impact, I'm 18 years old.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jakt
I am a shoe newbie. Please tell me if this oxford shoe fits my feet? Is the gap between the eyelet tabs too wide or is it okay? Thanks.

If they fit well and are comfortable to wear, then it's perfectly okay.

YOgun27

Reaction score
What is the difference in quality/construction between a Kiton 7-fold vs. Isaia 7-Fold tie? Which one is better generally?

henrikc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
Just go with AEs. You want welts and I doubt Hugo Boss Black has welts.
Yeah, I decided against getting them. It was mainly because I could buy them from a store and avoid our stupid import taxes, but I guess I'll just have to save up a little more.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just received a pair of lovely double monks and I have a odd question - just what is the usual method of putting these on? Do you leave the buckles on and just slip them on (I've tried and they're a bit tight to do that smoothly) or unbuckle the buckles and fasten them again (onerous and the stiff buckle prongs leave scour marks on the underside of the tabs). I don't know if this is relevant, but the buckles are secured to some elastic material.

In return... pics of said shoes and my appreciation in advance.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by henrikc
Shoes from Hugo Boss Black, how's the quality? Decent enough to buy a pair if you get 50% off? Or should I steer away?

i bought a pair of hugo boss dress shoes (i think they were blucher/derby style)
because it was more than 60% off... but i still ended up returning it
it was a glue job shoe and wasn't even very good looking
don't let the low price sway you

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by krspdla
I'm an undergraduate business student in a school where suits are worn quite often for events. As of right now, I have a light grey suit which I have been told is not very approporiate for business, and have been recommended to go with charcoal instead. Are there any brands I should look out for that make good quality suits at a low price (< $600). If it has any impact, I'm 18 years old.

who told you this?

dark charcoal and dark navy prolly, however, works best, with black shoes.

look for hickey freeman (they have a cheaper junior line i forget what it's called), ralph lauren black label, and brooks brothers black fleece and golden fleece, on sale. prolly can't afford except on sale.

otherwise if you're a poor college student i think you can do quite well in H&M, zara, and maybe even target's merona line. just make sure it fits in the shoulder, you get the waist taken in, make sure it's a proper length, hem the pants, and make sure the sleeve hits a little above your wrist bone (enough to show a little shirt cuff)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marmaladecorgi
Hi all,

Just received a pair of lovely double monks and I have a odd question - just what is the usual method of putting these on? Do you leave the buckles on and just slip them on (I've tried and they're a bit tight to do that smoothly) or unbuckle the buckles and fasten them again (onerous and the stiff buckle prongs leave scour marks on the underside of the tabs). I don't know if this is relevant, but the buckles are secured to some elastic material.

Either use a shoe horn to slip them on or unbuckle them.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marmaladecorgi
Hi all,

I would unbuckle them.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
would it be acceptable to go to an interview with a navy blazer, charcoal trousers, and black shoes? would it cost me any points?

Depends on any number of factors, but be sure you're dressed appropriately to the position and the company culture. A gross mis-match may tilt things out of your favor.

Vecna

Reaction score
Concerning the integrity of an OCBD's collar roll - Does a hangar damage it - is it better to fold the shirts? Can washing hurt the collar's integrity? Does ironing matter?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
Concerning the integrity of an OCBD's collar roll - Does a hangar damage it - is it better to fold the shirts? Can washing hurt the collar's integrity? Does ironing matter?

No. I don't think so. Much as I tried, I never found a good alternative to washing. Or ironing, for that matter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics