• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nycxandy

Reaction score
Hey Mike... please check your PMs.
biggrin.gif

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blynch
I lost probably 3/4 of a size out of an epaulet large by hot wash and dry. Worked pretty well and fits about perfect, not sure if I will go with large again and repeat or just start with a medium(afraid it might be a touch small).

With a small there is less fabric to shrink though so you might get half a size out of it?

Which shirt did you manage to shrink? I like 19.5" chest so I bought a medium and hope to get some fabric shrinkage on the charcoal flannel I ordered. Getting a small would be too uncomfortable for me.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Local_Disk
Would it be unwise to get an Epaulet shirt in small and try to shrink it to fit my 34" chest size?
Originally Posted by blynch
I lost probably 3/4 of a size out of an epaulet large by hot wash and dry. Worked pretty well and fits about perfect, not sure if I will go with large again and repeat or just start with a medium(afraid it might be a touch small). With a small there is less fabric to shrink though so you might get half a size out of it?
Originally Posted by *#..
Which shirt did you manage to shrink? I like 19.5" chest so I bought a medium and hope to get some fabric shrinkage on the charcoal flannel I ordered. Getting a small would be too uncomfortable for me.
Why bother with shrinking? Why not just have it tailored? Seriously. You'll have so much more control over the results.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahjota
Why bother with shrinking? Why not just have it tailored? Seriously. You'll have so much more control over the results.

This. Shrinking a typical shirt won't ever get the results you're looking for, especially if you're trying to shrink like half or full size. A quarter of an inch here or there, maaaaaybe, but it should stretch back out again after wear.

*#..

Reaction score
The sleeves will be too long, so I was getting it tailored anyways. Just to be safe, I dry my oversized shirts once to avoid having a shirt that's too small if I tailor the chest. I misread blynch's post and didn't see that he hot washed his shirt; I don't wash shirts with hot water. I just wanted to know if epaulet's shirts will shrink any before I tailor it.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'll buy that. My flannel from last year shrank just the littlest bit after I first watched it. But Local_Disk: I say "unwise".

*#..

Reaction score
^ I'll buy that. My flannel from last year shrank just the littlest bit after I first watched it. But Local_Disk: I say "unwise".

Thanks for the help. My first post didn't explain my intentions well. If I can avoid tailoring the chest after a drying cycle, then the chance of the tailor messing up my shirt is significantly lower.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just wanted to give a shout out to adele for impeccable customer service for helping out my cousin and his incorrect sizing issues and exchange

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Hope that you had a happy new year! My apologies if anyone had a shipping delay last week - it was total chaos here in NYC with the snow.

We're grinding through all the shipments, returns, service e-mails, and PM's. I should be 100% caught up by the end of tomorrow. And we'll get back on the horse with new products and some awesome clearance sales for January.

Cheers,
Mike

racknac

Reaction score
Epaulet is starting to suffer from some serious quality control issues... I received my order of chinos today and no personal note from Mike and Adele... I almost decided returned them, but instead am wondering if I should just order the british khaki and olive chinos to complete my collection.

Local_Disk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by racknac
Epaulet is starting to suffer from some serious quality control issues... I received my order of chinos today and no personal note from Mike and Adele... I almost decided returned them, but instead am wondering if I should just order the british khaki and olive chinos to complete my collection.

Same here man, I was seriously looking all over the package for my personal note. I even checked the chino pockets to no avail. It was then that I broke down and cried myself to sleep. I feel so lost..

Adubz

Reaction score
Hi Mike, I am interested in the Bailey Rudie Fedora. If the circumference of my head measures somewhere around 58.5 - 59cm, should I order a large or size up to an x-large? Thanks.

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..

it was one of the double face shirts. And shrinkage is a decent option over tailoring when you need just a little all over, otherwise if you only need it smaller in the body I'd just tailor it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads