• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuperBobo
98% of dudes on this site looks like complete douchebags. whats up with that? **** no menswear.
It's like a cross between lookbook.nu and Backyard Bill, but the worst of both worlds.

BlackToothedGrin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An interesting thread in MC for once. Certainly applies to me:

Buyer beware: One luxury item can spark shopping spree

Here's the article:
A new fancy purchase can make other possessions look shabby, researchers say

By Linda Carroll
msnbc.com contributor msnbc.com contributor

The gift giving season has come to an end and you might be thinking it’s time to permit yourself one little luxury — a small purchase, not anything that would break the bank. It might be an exotic end table, some designer shoes, or perhaps a fancy throw pillow.

Bad idea, scientists say. Just as a tiny bite of chocolate cake can dash a dieter’s will-power, the purchase of one special item can spark a shopping spree, a new study shows.

In a revealing series of experiments researchers discovered that the acquisition of one high end item can spur us to spend lots more if the original purchase turns out to be a lot nicer than our other possessions, according to the report published in the Journal of Marketing Research.

“When we buy something with unique design elements and it doesn’t fit in, it frustrates us, says the study’s senior author, Henrik Hagtvedt, a professor at Boston College. “This is because the design has intrinsic value. Rather than returning the item, we actively seek ways to make the item fit, often by making complementary purchases.”

So, has Hagtvedt found the shopping equivalent to the “gateway” drug, where a pair of designer shoes leads to a complete wardrobe makeover or a bite of cake leads us to consume the whole thing?

Kind of, says psychologist April Benson, author of “To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop.”

“It’s even worse than taking a bite of cake,” Benson says. “Once the cake is consumed, you’re not looking at it anymore. With a purchase, you keep seeing it.”

That doesn’t mean we can’t ever buy anything special, Benson says. We just have to be aware of the menace of mismatches.

And, before buying, we need to know whether we can enjoy our one nice piece of furniture or whether we’ll get frustrated because it makes the whole room look shabby in comparison.

“You have to know what you’re getting into,” Benson cautions.
A good post by TC Houston:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Every once in a while I take a step back and realize that our consumption (meaning that of my wife and I) has gotten completely ridiculous. At what point did we start expecting to have only the very best of everything?

The problem is not splurging on a luxurious item here and there, as in, you see something in a store that is nice but more than you planned to spend, but you buy it anyway. The problem is the quick and easy access to expert resources and research for virtually anything you are thinking about acquiring. A mild case of OCD coupled with financial resources and internet access is a veritable disaster. Most of us probably stumbled upon SF looking for information on some mundane item of clothing. Fifteen minutes later you decide those items are total shite, and two years later you have a $XXk wardrobe. WTF?!

The only solution is to be an ignorant consumer. I haven't bought a TV is about 4-5 years. I suspect the technology and picture quality is light years ahead of the stuff we have in our house, but I wouldn't know because I refuse to look into it.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by max_r
didn't fuji get some lanvin shi from a TK maxx or TJ maxx?

Picked up tonnes of lanvin sunglasses for like $50 a pair. Got a Alexander Mcqueen F/W 2008 runway coat for like $200, bamford and sons cashmere for like $40. Got many good things from TK maxx.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
If you wear a bow tie, you strongly risk looking contrived and, therefore, douchey. If you match said bowtie to your shoes, the risk increases exponentially. If the colour of both items is neon teal... man I dunno, that's just embarassing.
Originally Posted by ARW
TJ MAXX in england is clearly nothing like it's american counterpart.
Fuji's McQueen jacket has to be the best thing that store has ever sold on either continent. I want it badly.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
TJ MAXX in england is clearly nothing like it's american counterpart.

Its not, I've been to one in NJ several times and it was horrible, tonnes of chaps and polo assn and so many dockers. AR, I might be selling the coat soon, I know you've wanted it for a while. Just isn't getting and wear, I've worn it maybe 3 times and I got it a year ago.

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5h8Zr.jpg

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it was a gift payment just tell him to **** off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads