• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am on StyleForum a lot but...

Nautilus

Reaction score
Wearing what fits well is probably most important. Aside from that, wear what you like, regardless of whether other people will find it interesting or not. Now, if you are holding back because you don't want to dress too different from others, you have to ask yourself why. Is it because you are afraid others won't approve? Is it because you don't like to get a lot of looks/attention? Is it because your personal tastes just happen to be "boring" and dressing otherwise would be forcing yourself into a look you don't really care for?

Since I've been reading up on style, I've not changed my clothes significantly, but the little changes have made a big difference.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Everyday I walk out the door with a very uninspiring outfit. I have a pair of raw denim that fits well but everything else is just plain, fits pretty good but is boring.

Is anyone else like that?

Style is trickier than not and easy to go overboard on when starting out. I usually tell my friends to start off by buying complete outfits that they think are stylish - even if it is the exact same outfit off of a mannequin. It is an easy way to bootstrap yourself up to a reasonable wardrobe without putting a lot of thought into it.

If you have a desired look/genre - commit to it. Don't waffle between being preppy one day, avant-garde the next, etc. Get the right haircut and all the other stuff. You can mix and match later when you have more ability/confidence. It is okay to tone down a bit from a look (maybe omitting the bowtie or the high buttoned coat or whatever), but don't tone it down a lot or you lose what makes it distinctive.

If you are more cash strapped and can't buy whole wardrobes, try and wear one more adventurous thing every day - whether a coat that is more edgy than normal, or a bright color that you think might be a bit loud - you can edge your way over to it. Go ahead and make mistakes.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My style is pretty tamed compare to some that post their outfits here. Regardless, in the time duration that I have joined the forum, I spent at least $5,000 on clothes/shoes already. A lot of it are from online buying at work. Damn you guys for posting up links to sales and such!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Isn't op like 17 in high school and wears flip flops?

Not hard to figure out right there.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Everyday I walk out the door with a very uninspiring outfit. I have a pair of raw denim that fits well but everything else is just plain, fits pretty good but is boring.

Is anyone else like that?

I think the reason is in the thread title...

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I think the reason is in the thread title...

I think the reason is the op.

Let's face it the swagger is far and few in between.

Suicmez

Reaction score
I think some people just have problems putting together trickier outfits, or they simply don't the right pieces to take things to the next level. Often times I find myself in the same situation, mainly because a lab isn't the best place to wear good clothes (jeans and t-shirt most times for me).
I think the main factor is just the comfort level you have with wearing things that will get you looks in public-some of them not the ones you may be looking for. That's why most posters here still resort to Jcrew approved looks, it's safe to dress that way, and most people on the street will see that as well dressed.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aim to look good, not stylish

someone who is fit and wearing well-fitted basics will always look better than a *****/bonerack in an "inspired" outfit

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone with an appreciable amount of muscle mass wearing well-fitting basics will look better than a fatass in the "perfect" outfit, so dont worry about being divinely ******* inspired every time you walk out the door.

sure, ***** might be stylin, but he's still a fat ******. aim to look good. didnt ro say something like "working out is modern couture"

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
slim guy will pretty much always look better than a fat du no matter what

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and jacked guy in a good outfit will look better than slim guy in a great outfit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads