• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am on StyleForum a lot but...

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
i used to layer and accessorize and color coordinate and ****,

now I grab the first pair of pants, random sportcoat and unironed shirt shirt that doesnt smell that I see and step into whatever shoes have the trees out before i walk out

this is probably better.

I don't see this being optimal unless there's little variety in your wardrobe and your pieces are mostly basic looking. With more distinctive pieces, hastily throwing on whatever without much thought often produces a mismatched look that many here would label "fashion victim"-- ironically similar to those whom spend too much effort trying to look good, but lack experience and skill. The later being what you're apparently trying to avoid.

But once one has attained a certain level of judgment and experience, it is unlikely that the best result will be repeatedly obtained by expending little to no effort on the endeavor. This is true for anything, not just clothing and style.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF is more a source of knowledge and simply reading the discussions isn't necessarily going to make you well dressed. You've gotta take some risks and step out of your comfort zone. Raw denim and OCBDs aren't going to blow anyone's minds. Not anyone here, anyways.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Everyday I walk out the door with a very uninspiring outfit. I have a pair of raw denim that fits well but everything else is just plain, fits pretty good but is boring.

Is anyone else like that?

I dont get it...if you think your outfit is boring, why do you wear it instead of something exciting?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
and jacked guy in a good outfit will look better than slim guy in a great outfit

do you have examples of this?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and jacked guy in a good outfit will look better than slim guy in a great outfit
Disagree. Really buff guys look like **** in a lot of clothing, especially suits. Fatties can look good too. Signor Ferrari in Casablanca looks pretty damn cool.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only the sith deal in absolutes

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
do you have examples of this?

kunk

Originally Posted by musicguy
Disagree. Really buff guys look like **** in a lot of clothing, especially suits.

Fatties can look good too. Signor Ferrari in Casablanca looks pretty damn cool.

i'm not talking jay cutler jacked, just a guy with appreciable muscle mass vs a twig man. and fatties can look stylish and cool, though i dont think they look "good"

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

ok now I know you're trolling

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB1;3941150 said:
I don't see this being optimal unless there's little variety in your wardrobe and your pieces are mostly basic looking. With more distinctive pieces, hastily throwing on whatever without much thought often produces a mismatched look that many here would label "fashion victim"-- ironically similar to those whom spend too much effort trying to look good, but lack experience and skill. The later being what you're apparently trying to avoid.

But once one has attained a certain level of judgment and experience, it is unlikely that the best result will be repeatedly obtained by expending little to no effort on the endeavor. This is true for anything, not just clothing and style.
I can dig this.

Edit: I realized that I originally read this to mean the opposite of what BB1 wrote (sub likely for unlikely) LOL

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I don't see this being optimal unless there's little variety in your wardrobe and your pieces are mostly basic looking. With more distinctive pieces, hastily throwing on whatever without much thought often produces a mismatched look that many here would label "fashion victim"-- ironically similar to those whom spend too much effort trying to look good, but lack experience and skill. The later being what you're apparently trying to avoid. But once one has attained a certain level of judgment and experience, it is unlikely that the best result will be repeatedly obtained by expending little to no effort on the endeavor. This is true for anything, not just clothing and style.
I've built a wardrobe of "classics" with a very precise complementary palette of colors over the years here at styleforum, the entire purpose was always to have maximum mix-and-match potential, and im pretty much there. The only thought I put into it these days is what scarf ties it all together. Think about it: what doesnt go with a navy blazer or tweed sport coat? Even if I'm wearing deep red pants or something, I can probably still walk out the door feeling ok. also, certain lifestyle situations limit you to certain things. Haven't worn jeans in 2 months.

word

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Everyday I walk out the door with a very uninspiring outfit. I have a pair of raw denim that fits well but everything else is just plain, fits pretty good but is boring.

Is anyone else like that?

I just wear dior jeans, random boots or cps and a boo shirt (or smth similar) every day. When it's cold I use a j crew flannel shirt and a patagonia down vest and toboggan. Sure it's predictable from my pov but whatever, it is easy and it works for me.

Used to be somets and apc but diors are like 100x better for me so I got a bunch of them.

Think what I need to do is get more accessories and things to layer with. My look now is kinda plain even if I'm in good shape and things fit well nothing really stands out. The niceness of the clothes I have now is a bit incognito, only people who know will notice. Exception being some of the patent leather cps because they stand out easily.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
slim guy will pretty much always look better than a fat du no matter what

its ok jet i bet your good looking in your own right.

Wiggles

Reaction score
All the guys that are going down the boring, safe road are deluding themselves, although you spend way more effort picking out your outfits you don't look that different. Take a break from sf and gain more interesting influences but apply your new found knowledge of materials and fits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads