• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pure Blue Japan (Denim) - Official Thread

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the photo above, I've pretty much decided on picking up a pair for the coming year. I'm on BiG debating between raws in the following cuts.

XX-005
XX-005black
XX-007
XX-011

I'm a true 34 in the waist. To avoid excessive sagginess after stretch, I'm thinking I should go with the tagged 32s in any given case. BiG says that in raw state, the average tagged 32 will measure 35 inches in the waist. Then shrink two to a 33, and stretch out to a 34-ish with wear? No?

What's more, I intend on soaking via bathtub with them on, so they wouldn't shrink down any more than my body.

Anyone with recommendations or advice? Success or failed attempts at the same?

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to bother reading the rest of the thread, but I recommend you get one washes instead of raws. Takes away a lot of the guessing game and really who actually enjoys wearing raw jeans?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
From the photo above, I've pretty much decided on picking up a pair for the coming year. I'm on BiG debating between raws in the following cuts. XX-005 XX-005black XX-007 XX-011 I'm a true 34 in the waist. To avoid excessive sagginess after stretch, I'm thinking I should go with the tagged 32s in any given case. BiG says that in raw state, the average tagged 32 will measure 35 inches in the waist. Then shrink two to a 33, and stretch out to a 34-ish with wear? No? What's more, I intend on soaking via bathtub with them on, so they wouldn't shrink down any more than my body. Anyone with recommendations or advice? Success or failed attempts at the same?
im also a 34 waist i my pbjs are size 33. i would get the o/w if you can ... you will know exactly how they will fit. the size 32 might be just a tad to small. im 5'11" 180 lbs for reference.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I'm between 6 - 6'1" at about 190, I think.

I don't know - I love the appeal of raws. Shrink that fit right down to ya!

I read through the thread and most everyone talked about sizing down on the o/w's.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah - I'm between 6 - 6'1" at about 190, I think. I don't know - I love the appeal of raws. Shrink that fit right down to ya! I read through the thread and most everyone talked about sizing down on the o/w's.
i bet your a size 33 in pbjs. i still think a 32 might be just a little small, but thats just my opinion. you can try either, of course, i only mention going with the o/w because you will know how they will fit you right away. whichever one you buy will not fade any better or worse then the other. edit: the other thing you could do if you buy from big is to try the o/w 32 to see how those fit you and then ex-change for the raw 32 or go up a size if you need to. that takes the guessing out of the whole thing.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the photo above, I've pretty much decided on picking up a pair for the coming year. I'm on BiG debating between raws in the following cuts.

XX-005
XX-005black
XX-007
XX-011

I'm a true 34 in the waist. To avoid excessive sagginess after stretch, I'm thinking I should go with the tagged 32s in any given case. BiG says that in raw state, the average tagged 32 will measure 35 inches in the waist. Then shrink two to a 33, and stretch out to a 34-ish with wear? No?

What's more, I intend on soaking via bathtub with them on, so they wouldn't shrink down any more than my body.

I think it really depends on how big your thighs are. I'm also a 34 true waist, and I went with the tagged 32 for my XX-007s. The waist and hips stretched out to a good fit (waist now measures 34.5"), but the thighs are too tight IMO, and I think I have pretty average thighs. 33 might be best, as the others have said.

BTW, I bought the one wash, and I think they are hot washed and tumble dried, they are really shrunken down. If you buy the raws, you can control the shrinkage a bit better.

Cacatfish

Reaction score

XX-005
XX-005black
XX-007
XX-011

I am also a true 34 waist and I have the xx 007 in size 34 raw. The wiast has stretched a ridulous amount and it makes the fit a little odd in the hips. Id say the waist is around an actual 36 now.
The thighs are about right, but I feel I could have gone down to a 32 or 33 and still made the thighs work okay. The denim is really stretchy and I think one or two days on a bike would stretch the thighs to fitting. My thighs measure about 23 inches for reference.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If reference helps at all - just received a pair of LVC '47's (tagged 34/34) in the mail today via B/S. Previous owner had already cold-soaked them for a bit of shrinkage. Waist at a 33 is a bit snug, but not uncomfortable. Thighs are tighter than I initially gave them credit, but still not a bother. And there's definitely stretch to come.

Current measurements are:
Waist: 33"
Thigh: 12.25"
Knee: 9"
Hem: 8.5"
Inseam: 33.5"

Sounds about right for a tagged 32 to shrink down...?

And yes commodore, they'd be a tub soak, so it can only go down so far.

But in the meantime, thanks all for your input.

Edit----------!

Whew! Just looked at the thigh of the raw 32 in the XX-007, and raw it's at 12.25. The minute that touches water it'll be WAY too small. Thanks for the heads up to all those above ^^^

jenkinslaw

Reaction score
Picking up a pair of 007s, but I am having sizing issues, as well. My current APC NS measure at 36 at the waist, which is comfortable. I am thinking that the 36 OO7 one wash (which measure 36.5 according to Big) will be too loose once they stretch. Debating whether to go with the 34 one wash, which measure 34.5 according to BiG, or the 34 raw, which measure 37 in the waist pre-soak. Looks like the thigh and rise measurements are OK with me for either option.

Any advice from the PBJ experts would be appreciated. I want to get these hemmed by BiG before they ship them to me, so sizing failure is not an option!

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jenkinslaw
Picking up a pair of 007s, but I am having sizing issues, as well. My current APC NS measure at 36 at the waist, which is comfortable. I am thinking that the 36 OO7 one wash (which measure 36.5 according to Big) will be too loose once they stretch. Debating whether to go with the 34 one wash, which measure 34.5 according to BiG, or the 34 raw, which measure 37 in the waist pre-soak. Looks like the thigh and rise measurements are OK with me for either option.

Any advice from the PBJ experts would be appreciated. I want to get these hemmed by BiG before they ship them to me, so sizing failure is not an option!

I would highly recommend that you try these on before you get them hemmed, because if there are any sizing issues, you will not be able to return or exchange them once they are hemmed. It's worth it to pay the extra $25 shipping back and forth to have a pair that will fit properly.

That being said, it sounds like the 34 raw is the best way to go for you. It fits around your waist to start with, and you can control the shrinkage so that it doesn't get too tight at any point. It will also stretch back out with wear once you shrink it down some.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jenkinslaw
Picking up a pair of 007s, but I am having sizing issues, as well. My current APC NS measure at 36 at the waist, which is comfortable. I am thinking that the 36 OO7 one wash (which measure 36.5 according to Big) will be too loose once they stretch. Debating whether to go with the 34 one wash, which measure 34.5 according to BiG, or the 34 raw, which measure 37 in the waist pre-soak. Looks like the thigh and rise measurements are OK with me for either option. Any advice from the PBJ experts would be appreciated. I want to get these hemmed by BiG before they ship them to me, so sizing failure is not an option!
hey slaw. what commodore said ... you need to get a size 34 (either o/w or raw). they will be just a tad tight for a day but will stretch out to 36 w/o to much difficulty.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
also, just belt your jeans when you get them to the perfect waist.. then they wont stretch

and yes. i do enjoy wearing raw denim. feels lovely.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
do any of you people have the ai 001 or 002 with any wear? i am trying to locate a wear pic.

i am going to get a natural indigo pair of pbjs this year and need something to use as a wear reference.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads