• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pure Blue Japan (Denim) - Official Thread

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
this is amazing!

this is a pair of pbj ai-001's worn daily for 3 years. they tend to fade evenly and look at all that color left.

im gotta get a pair these soon.

001002.jpg

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my raw xx-007's in the mail today. So excited. The fit in the top block is spot on, while the legs below the knee are a bit more baggy than images would have led me to believe. Going to post some fit pics after a hot bath soak when I get some time.

Can't believe how dark it is. It's like staring into my soul.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Just got my raw xx-007's in the mail today. So excited. The fit in the top block is spot on, while the legs below the knee are a bit more baggy than images would have led me to believe. Going to post some fit pics after a hot bath soak when I get some time. Can't believe how dark it is. It's like staring into my soul.
the knees and hem will come in about a 1/2-3/4" depending on how you washed/soaked. i totally know what you mean when you see the usps box on your doorstep from big because it just totally makes your day! ive been shopping at big for 5 years now and i still get excited EVERYTIME i see that usps box. they are so awesome!

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Just got my raw xx-007's in the mail today. So excited. The fit in the top block is spot on, while the legs below the knee are a bit more baggy than images would have led me to believe. Going to post some fit pics after a hot bath soak when I get some time.

Can't believe how dark it is. It's like staring into my soul.

hey tino ... how are your 007s? can you take fit pics?

RedDC5R

Reaction score
Guys,

I just got a pair of 005's raw and I've tried wearing them around the house but they are still really stiff. I'm really happy with waist and leg fits but should I be jumping in the bath tub with them on to speed up the softening process? I don't want them to shrink cos fit is perfect right now so maybe a cold soak and dry? Thanks...

Rolfi

Reaction score
if they're raw you're going to have to soak it before you wear it. otherwise your cuffs and combs will be all messed up once it shrinks after you washed your jeans when they get dirty. plus you probably won't be able to fit in the jeans anymore. just see if you can return the jeans and size up 1 and then do the regular hot soak/wash prior to wear

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedDC5R
Guys, I just got a pair of 005's raw and I've tried wearing them around the house but they are still really stiff. I'm really happy with waist and leg fits but should I be jumping in the bath tub with them on to speed up the softening process? I don't want them to shrink cos fit is perfect right now so maybe a cold soak and dry? Thanks...
hey man. the denim on the 005 is really quite slubby and will stay stiff for a while. after a couple washes and you wear them for a couple weeks they will start to feel more comfortable ... maybe less depending on how much you wear them. even though the top-block fits you perfectly you still need to wash/soak them to get most of the shrinkage out of the way (unless there a o/w version). they will stretch back out after you wash - i promise you
smile.gif
giving them a nice hot wash will actually soften them up a tad as well. now, you can certainly wear them in the tub while you soak but its not necessary and is a giant pain **********. i guess the argument to do this is they conform to your body but after a few wears they will do that anyway. pbj denim is very forgiving and its really not necessary to soak these while wearing but you can, obviously. if i were you i would soak them in your tub with the hottest water you have (filling with fresh hot water every 15 minutes) for 2 hours or give them a nice hot/cold wash in your washer using a gentle cycle ... no need to use detergent with either method. they will shrink in both rises, upper-thigh, knee and hem about a 1/2," while about 1.5-2" in the waist and inseam ... unless you got the o/w version in which case they will not shrink, unless you stretched them out. i would hang them to dry. if you use your dryer use med/high heat but dont leave them in longer then 20 minutes.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedDC5R
Guys,

I just got a pair of 005's raw and I've tried wearing them around the house but they are still really stiff. I'm really happy with waist and leg fits but should I be jumping in the bath tub with them on to speed up the softening process? I don't want them to shrink cos fit is perfect right now so maybe a cold soak and dry? Thanks...

Cold soak would be fine if you don't want them to shrink much, but if you do it this way, you're going to want to always wash them cold from now on. If you ever wash them hot, you're going to get a lot of shrinkage.

RedDC5R

Reaction score
hey rolfi - I didn't size up initially cos I read the PBJs stretch a fair bit as stated by whatever123. I understand I'll need to soak now so cuffs etc are gonna be in proportions. will wear them in the tub to ensure they do not shrink so small that I won't be able to get into them again. I can't afford to have them shrink 1.5 - 2in in the waist so cold soak is the only option now and ongoing washes..

Any other tips I should be aware of?? Thanks guys..

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
hey tino ... how are your 007s? can you take fit pics?
Tomorrow - with MLKJr day off school, I'll have a block enough to soak and wear wet.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Combined with Whatever's prodding, couldn't wait until tomorrow to soak. So...
2011-01-16%2B21.37.19.jpg
PBJ xx-007 raws - bought -1 (33) waist and then tub-soaked for an hour in hot water. The camera was charging so only have a cell-phone photo. Also, excuse the mess as my wife and I are in the middle of our baby's laundry. Better ones to come tomorrow then.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
so you soaked them while wearing them, is that right? did they conform to you better that way? i cant even think of doing that especially since its like 20 degrees outside in utah now! did you go outside
smile.gif

they look really dark in the pic (were they still wet) but look great. better pics when you can!

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PBJs do stretch a good bit - you probably would have been better served sizing down one on the raws. Did you ask the folks at BiG for sizing help?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
so you soaked them while wearing them, is that right? did they conform to you better that way? i cant even think of doing that especially since its like 20 degrees outside in utah now! did you go outside
smile.gif

they look really dark in the pic (were they still wet) but look great. better pics when you can!

Yeah - did a tub soak while wearing them. Was a bit concerned because the thigh was tight already. These things are cut way slim. In the photo they were a bit damp still, but most of the water had already gone out of them. I just laid a towel underneath where I stood and played FIFA11 until they were dry.

I think tub soaking yields the most "custom" of fits, inasmuch as it can't go smaller than what you are already.

Yeah - WAY dark. It's the lighting too for sure. I'll see if I can't get some outdoor pics today. Even had to do a double roll on the bottom because they were still like 36 inches in the inseam.

Originally Posted by airportlobby
PBJs do stretch a good bit - you probably would have been better served sizing down one on the raws. Did you ask the folks at BiG for sizing help?

Yeah - I misspoke. I am a true 34 in the waist. I sized down one to a 33, given that the waist still measured 35.5 when new. Post soak they fit like a glove everywhere.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ cool. the thighs will stretch to ~ 12" on those (i just measured my 33s). it looks like you sized correctly. that denim stretches so if you need to do another soak dont hesitate to do so ... i would suggest hot water. i washed mine twice in a hot/cold gentle cycle. keep us posted on the wear. mine have like 5 wears so far
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads