• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motorcycles

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
It is. Every HD since 1990. Works well and low maintenance. Higher driveline loss than a chain, but marginal.
Is it Hermes? Maybe this makes me an elitist, (hard to do since I don't even own a bike!) but I hate that. Shaft drive or chain plz.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a XL1200R - the "roadster" with twin discs. But I had longer Progressive 416 shocks on it. Had I kept it, I would've bought Ohlins. But I sold it. And now I want (totally inexplicably) to get an XR1200X to keep the other bikes company. ButI might get a '92 FXRS-Sp instead if I can find one in good nick.

Those XRs are nice bikes for what they do, good choice. So little travel on these, even less so that the XL1200 as you point out. Great for short rides, less than a couple of hours

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Now, you see, why would I want to ride a bike like that? I don't like a sore arse (no ****). I want a comfy, if somewhat sporty, ride.

lulz, motorcycle riding isn't supposed to be too comfortable now..

It is. Every HD since 1990. Works well and low maintenance. Higher driveline loss than a chain, but marginal.

This..

Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Is it Hermes?

Maybe this makes me an elitist, (hard to do since I don't even own a bike!) but I hate that. Shaft drive or chain plz.

What do you find one gains having a chain or shaft drive, besides the added pain ********** of maintenance? I have both chain and belt drives, and I've seriously considered looking in to retrofitting the Triumph with a belt drive. Chains are a pain to maintain (as bigbjorn stated correctly above) and I don't think there's anything gained.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
What do you find one gains having a chain or shaft drive, besides the added pain ********** of maintenance? I have both chain and belt drives, and I've seriously considered looking in to retrofitting the Triumph with a belt drive. Chains are a pain to maintain (as bigbjorn stated correctly above) and I don't think there's anything gained.

Chains are made of metal. Driveshafts are made of metal. Belts are made of rubber. Simple as that. Maintenance on driveshafts is less than on belts or chains.

If I want a performance bike, It's going to have a chain. If I want something low maint with a smooth ride, like on a touring bike, or something thats going to take any abuse offroad, I want a driveshaft. (or a beefy chain)

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chains are made of metal. Driveshafts are made of metal. Belts are made of rubber. Simple as that. Maintenance on driveshafts is less than on belts or chains.

If I want a performance bike, It's going to have a chain. If I want something low maint with a smooth ride, like on a touring bike, or something thats going to take any abuse offroad, I want a driveshaft. (or a beefy chain)

eh.gif

Your first paragraph is confusing. Are you implying chains are more durable than belts? If so, you are wrong there, I can speak to that with personal experience. Most modern belts last way longer than chains. It's not unusual at all to get 100,000 miles our of a belt. You will have replaced a chain 3 or 4 times in that time frame, maybe more.

On your second paragraph, I can't really dispute anything you say here as you are expressing your preference, and everyone's entitled to those.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
eh.gif
Your first paragraph is confusing. Are you implying chains are more durable than belts?

No, I am implying (actually, it was just a statement, not an implication, but yeah... whatever) that belts are made of rubber, not metal.
smile.gif
Some people don't like fiberglass cars. I don't like rubber drivetrains.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, I am implying (actually, it was just a statement, not an implication, but yeah... whatever) that belts are made of rubber, not metal.
smile.gif

Fair enough.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
smile.gif

Reminds me, did you ever get your motorcycle endorsement? Remember you were going to give it another shot after taking the MSF last year..

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Reminds me, did you ever get your motorcycle endorsement? Remember you were going to give it another shot after taking the MSF last year..

Negative. Decided I'd rather go to Japan instead of get a bike this winter.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Temperatures ran upper 50s in dixie today, so took that Forty Eight out for a 2 hour spin. I love these little winter gifts we get here from time to time. Makes the summers bearable.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went to my Triumph dealer today to order a new seat for my Bonnie and wouldn't you know it, they had one of these on the floor...

triumphthruxton2008+9352+001+f+jpg1208562689.jpg

ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
I must have it!!!!

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Found a nice 1972 CB100 with 1800 miles on it for $500, so I'm adding that to the collection this weekend. 11.5 hp at 10,500 will probably feel like a rocket next to the 5hp C70. But it still probably won't be quite as fast as my CBR1000... Am going to have to get better about going ATGATT now though. The C70 really encourages a non-ATGATT approach to riding.

palma

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Glad to jump into this thread. I was wondering if any of you have experimented with these vintage style Firestone tires that I have seen on all the Zero Engineering Bikes.

http://onlyoldiesgarage.com/xcart/pr...roductid=16438

I have thought about putting them on a Harley Davidson Sportster 48 or Royal Enfield Bullet 500. Although, I am afraid RE 500 might suffer from a really screwed up alignment of the frame. Yes, this is purely for aesthetic purposes and giving up a bit of ride quality is a sacrifice I am willing to make, but not too the point that it is intolerable or deadly
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads