• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Casual day with whiskey, will throw on a navy suit with the same shoes to wear to dinner later.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChrisGold
Casual day with whiskey, will throw on a navy suit with the same shoes to wear to dinner later.

As Uncle Mac would say, always a good day for whiskey. Nice.

Wanted to toss out a question to get peoples' thoughts on it:

Is it overkill to own both the standard 405 Indy as well as the brown chromexcel 403 version? Too similar? Differences that make it worth owning both? I am hemming and hawing over a recent purchase.

For purposes of this question, I want to put aside other Indys that are out there/others that I own and just get input on those two. Thanks!

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916

Is it overkill to own both the standard 405 Indy as well as the brown chromexcel 403 version? Too similar? Differences that make it worth owning both? I am hemming and hawing over a recent purchase.

For purposes of this question, I want to put aside other Indys that are out there/others that I own and just get input on those two. Thanks!

While the standard 405s are classic looking, I tend to find they look a little cheap next to the Chromexcel. The Chromexcel tends to have a nicer patina due to it's "pull up" characteristics.

But it all depends on how you wear them. The standards tend to dress up a little nicer.
confused.gif

ChrisGold

Reaction score
I pondered this myself and bought only the 403. My concern was that the 405 would darken and eventually look fairly close in color to the 403.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blue collar
While the standard 405s are classic looking, I tend to find they look a little cheap next to the Chromexcel. The Chromexcel tends to have a nicer patina due to it's "pull up" characteristics.

But it all depends on how you wear them. The standards tend to dress up a little nicer.
confused.gif

That's exactly my dilemma. I have owned the 405s for a long time, worn them all over the globe, beat them to hell, love 'em to death, etc. Then I found myself cruising this thread, seeing all the nice things peeps have to say about chromexcel and I thought weeelllllll, why not order a pair and see what the fuss is about? If they are too similar, screw it, could send them back. Well. The dark brown chromexcel is absolutely beautiful, I far prefer the leather lining to the cotton duck on the 405s, and the foxing the JCrew pair has on the heel is a nice little addition. Small details, yes, but I'm finding myself reluctant to part with the 403s.

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Buy 1/2 size down per Context's instructions. Trubalance is a big last, but very comfortable if you have the correct sizing.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI: Epaulet Clothing has the Brixton Wingtip boot in ravello ready for pre-order. I have this boot and it is by far my favorite Alden shell. Delivery is quite a ways out (next summer sometime). I get more compliments on this than any other shoe.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's exactly my dilemma. I have owned the 405s for a long time, worn them all over the globe, beat them to hell, love 'em to death, etc. Then I found myself cruising this thread, seeing all the nice things peeps have to say about chromexcel and I thought weeelllllll, why not order a pair and see what the fuss is about? If they are too similar, screw it, could send them back. Well. The dark brown chromexcel is absolutely beautiful, I far prefer the leather lining to the cotton duck on the 405s, and the foxing the JCrew pair has on the heel is a nice little addition. Small details, yes, but I'm finding myself reluctant to part with the 403s.

To be honest, my chromexcel Indy boots have received more compliments in the past 6 months than any of my shoes combined (Black PTBs, Cigar Wings, etc). From dudes on the street to random women
smile.gif
. They are my first go to boot for sure. I dress (and buy my clothes) around that boot ha ha. They are killer in the rain too. Just wipe 'em off. They don't blister and welt like my cordovan has, in the rain.

I'd say 100% buy them even if you have an old pair of the standards.

100 yrs

Reaction score
Anyone have the AF 32 from Alden of Carmel (http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index..._Sole_88.htm)? I'm thinking these would fill my need for a versatile "everyday" shoe to wear in a casual yet professional office enviro (jeans, button down, odd jacket sometimes). My only concern is the commando sole might be too chunky, but it's hard to tell from the photos... I did find this pic http://mistercrew.com/blog/2009/05/2...-chukka-boots/ that I really dig the look of, but those are on the plaza last and the af 32 are on the barrie.

I've posted before about my indy boots that are a little snug for my tastes at a 9D. I understand barrie and trubalance fit similar, but I'm still leaning towards the AF 32 chukka in a 9D. My thinking is that the chukka will be a little more forgiving fit wise as compared to the boot and I'm worried that a 9.5 in the chukka won't give me a good fit on the heel. This, of course, is purely conjecture on my part so any advice would be appreciated.

Or a suggestion of similar, but I couldn't really find any other than the leather sole chromexcel chukka that i'd have to wait a while for. shoemart has one that is close but they put a mini-lug sole on it, no dice chicago on that one.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I've got a bunch of different Indy boots including some standard 405s and the Leather Soul brown cxl ultimates. The ultimates are by far my favorite pair of Indys. I find I don't wear my 405s that much. The cxl is just such a nicer leather.

Of course one of the reasons I like the ultimates so much more is the commando sole. That neoprene sole on the 403/405 can be kind of slippery.

MickCollins1916

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I've got a bunch of different Indy boots including some standard 405s and the Leather Soul brown cxl ultimates. The ultimates are by far my favorite pair of Indys. I find I don't wear my 405s that much. The cxl is just such a nicer leather.

Of course one of the reasons I like the ultimates so much more is the commando sole. That neoprene sole on the 403/405 can be kind of slippery.

Thanks. It's my go-to shoe and the cxl just looks awesome. I was thinking maybe I can justify keeping both if I have one of them resoled with the commando, since I have no real need for two shoes with that neoprene sole. Not a huge fan of that sole. In addition to the 405s and my as-yet unworn 403s (as they're marked for JCrew, 40510s), I have Indy boots in whiskey, #8 and black shell, as well as tobacco reverse chamois...and a pair of cigar on order. I am probably overthinking this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics