***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Hi - I have two pairs of Aldens on the Barrie last (Brixton Ravello from Epaulet and the Greenwich from Leffot). Both shoes are the same size, but I noticed that they fit slightly differently. The Greenwich is a bit tighter across the top/instep, and the last seems slightly wider at the waist. Not really a big issue (I think both boots are stunning) - just wondering if slight differences in fit on the same last is to be expected. Thanks!
    Yeah. The shoes are handmade. Slight variances happen. Also different styles.

2. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Hi - I have two pairs of Aldens on the Barrie last (Brixton Ravello from Epaulet and the Greenwich from Leffot). Both shoes are the same size, but I noticed that they fit slightly differently. The Greenwich is a bit tighter across the top/instep, and the last seems slightly wider at the waist. Not really a big issue (I think both boots are stunning) - just wondering if slight differences in fit on the same last is to be expected. Thanks!

Is the Leffot boot shell? If not, they fit different because shell will always fit larger.

3. chestercopperpot

chestercopperpot Senior member

4. xinu98

xinu98 Well-Known Member

Cool - the Leffot boot is nubuc. Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

5. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

Does anyone here know where I can find a plain toe blucher in the Barrie last in black Chromexcel? I'm looking to buy my first pair of nice shoes, and I've decided on Aldens because of all the helpful information around here.
    Depending on your definition of "nice", I would question your preferred choice of leather. Chromexcel leather is not a typical dress leather; rather it's supposed to be worn with minimal maintenance and treatment for a more rugged look. Chromexcel is also pretty thick so it's not very pliable. I'm not sure how well it would take a polish either. Both are standard models produced by Alden: http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=132 *edit* I just realized that this is on the Plaza last, not the Barrie *edit* http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...Oxford_259.htm These are on the Barrie last, but are not a standard model. http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=47 My opinion is that the cordovan is worth the extra $160.

6. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Or it could be awful - I'm going with awful. [​IMG]

Ha, I agree, there is potential for a navy shoe to be notsogood. Was thinking of the Leffot Greenwich boot (here: http://blog.leffot.com/?s=greenwich) when I made the suggestion. Doesn't necessarily have to be navy chamois, but something along these lines. Not a fan?

7. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Is the Leffot boot shell? If not, they fit different because shell will always fit larger.

Why is this Tom?

8. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Depending on your definition of "nice", I would question your preferred choice of leather. Chromexcel leather is not a typical dress leather; rather it's supposed to be worn with minimal maintenance and treatment for a more rugged look. Chromexcel is also pretty thick so it's not very pliable. I'm not sure how well it would take a polish either.

If you're looking for a black PTB for a casual shoe, calfskin is probably the most obvious choice. For a dressier shoe, cordovan is more appropriate. It's probably easier to dress down the cordovan than to dress up with the calfskin.

I have found that the footwear I own in Cromexcel has broken in faster than anything cordovan I own. You are right with the fact that Cordovan and Calf polish up much better than Chromexcel-because chromexcel is not meant to be polished. However if you use Venetian Shoe Cream or Neetsfoot oil, chromexcel can take on a deep, rich luster. All depends on what the man is looking for.

My $0.02

9. ckadds

ckadds Member

Why is this Tom?
    I think Tom is referring to how shell doesn't stretch as well as calf, thus when they are constructing the shoe the material does not stretch and conform to the last as well.

10. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

^ good answer. that shell breaks in to fit a little larger than calf, is a common observation.

11. mdixon1982

mdixon1982 New Member

Love the light brown ones!

12. Man with Apple

I think Tom is referring to how shell doesn't stretch as well as calf, thus when they are constructing the shoe the material does not stretch and conform to the last as well.

Based on your explanation it would seem that shell fits smaller, however, Tom said that shell fits larger.

13. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Exactly.

14. Man with Apple

Exactly.

So does it just stay rounder, rather than taking to the contours of the last?

15. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

Both materials conform to the last but because the calf is stretched over the last, it contracts once taken off the last resulting in a lesser volume inside the shoe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.