***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Hmm, some one with an equally as unhealthy Indy interest as me. [​IMG]
    I've also go them in whiskey, #8, and black shell plus snuff suede in addition to the 405s and brown cxl.

At this point, you may as well get the brown cxl and try to do the entire set.
    Better get the natural too.

Ha! You are so right. I ordered the natural cxl plain toe boot from Shoemart already. I have never seen the natural cxl in person and I am psyched to see it. My new philosophy is when I find something I like on a last that fits (like the trubalance, which is my fav), eff it, I am buying it immediately. Probably have to get the natural cxl Indy now too.

Bunch of enablers on this board (which is why I return to it so often)![​IMG]

2. ennui

ennui Senior member

I got a pair of #8 shortwings yesterday in the mail. I got these at 15% off, but was told that they would be delayed until next April. Now wondering if I should keep or return them, considering I just got a pair of cigar longwings. What are people's opinions on the shortwings?

Also wondering if I should Topy my longwings? I searched this thread and did not find much about this.

3. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

i'm into shortwings and i'm into #8, so I say wear them all the time.

4. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

Also wondering if I should Topy my longwings? I searched this thread and did not find much about this.
    A topy will help to preserve the leather soles so you'll only have to replace the topy and the heel when they get worn. Also provides better traction. Downside is that it doesn't look as clean as a leather sole, and that it may start to delaminate as it wears down. It's a question of practicality and aesthetics. If you live in a soggy climate and travel a lot on your feet, a topy makes sense. You can also dress according to the weather. I tend to reserve my leather soled shoes for clear and dry days. If you live somewhere dry and don't walk too much, the leather soles will last for some time before they need to be resoled.

5. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

If any one is interested in the Alden Foss Tugger Boots I have for sale right here (it is also listed in my signature), I would be willing to sell it for $400 shipped if it means it will be sold today. I was determine to recoup my costs on these boots, but I'm willing to put my stubborness aside to free up some cash for the holidays. Please let me know. First person to PM me and sends payment, gets it. They are 9.5D on the TruBalance last and sold out in a day once it went on site. I figured I would offer this price here, before formally offer it in my FS thread. Thank you.

6. ennui

ennui Senior member

A topy will help to preserve the leather soles so you'll only have to replace the topy and the heel when they get worn. Also provides better traction. Downside is that it doesn't look as clean as a leather sole, and that it may start to delaminate as it wears down.

It's a question of practicality and aesthetics. If you live in a soggy climate and travel a lot on your feet, a topy makes sense. You can also dress according to the weather. I tend to reserve my leather soled shoes for clear and dry days. If you live somewhere dry and don't walk too much, the leather soles will last for some time before they need to be resoled.

Thanks for the response. I am thinking about the thin tan-colored topys, so I don't think it will really stand out when looking at the shoe from the side. I read some posts about topy not allowing the sole to breathe, but I didn't know that soles needed to breathe. [​IMG] Applying a topy won't prevent the soles from being replaced later on if needed for some reason, right? I think they just use glue to attach the topy so I would think it would be easy enough to peel off if I wanted to.

Also, does it make sense to topy the heel at all? I'm guessing the answer is "no".

I topy all of my other non-sneaker shoes, but most of my other shoes are comparatively crap.

7. emalkin23

emalkin23 Well-Known Member

Alden noob here. Are the Indy Boots (or any Alden boots in general) warm enough and built for a Colorado winter? I wouldn't be wearing them in deep/heavy snow but just as a daily boot if there is light snow and 20-30 degrees temps. Any recommendations?

8. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Thanks for the response. I am thinking about the thin tan-colored topys, so I don't think it will really stand out when looking at the shoe from the side. I read some posts about topy not allowing the sole to breathe, but I didn't know that soles needed to breathe. [​IMG] Applying a topy won't prevent the soles from being replaced later on if needed for some reason, right? I think they just use glue to attach the topy so I would think it would be easy enough to peel off if I wanted to.

Also, does it make sense to topy the heel at all? I'm guessing the answer is "no".

I topy all of my other non-sneaker shoes, but most of my other shoes are comparatively crap.

I think one of the effects of the rubber topy not allowing the sole to breathe is that you end up accumulating more moisture inside the shoe because it retains more heat. I don't wear the shoes I have topys on in D.C. in the summer for that reason - it's just too hot.

9. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

I wouldn't be wearing them in deep/heavy snow but just as a daily boot if there is light snow and 20-30 degrees temps. Any recommendations?

I've been wearing Indys with commando soles in exactly those conditions over the last few weeks in the northern UK, and they are very well-suited. Not sure how leather soles would manage.

10. framus

framus Active Member

Day 1 with Alden Wingtip Ravello Cordovan

Any suggestions on the best color polish to use? Of course the first
    day I wear them it's snowing. Barrie Last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Alden noob here. Are the Indy Boots (or any Alden boots in general) warm enough and built for a Colorado winter? I wouldn't be wearing them in deep/heavy snow but just as a daily boot if there is light snow and 20-30 degrees temps. Any recommendations?

they are the same warmth as any other leather boot.

it's not like they are insulated

also everyone says the sole on the standard Indy boot is awful in the snow

12. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Alden Brown Wax (Not dark brown cream) - recommended to me by Alden of Carmel

13. phantomx48

phantomx48 Senior member

Day 1 with Alden Wingtip Ravello Cordovan

Any suggestions on the best color polish to use? Of course the first
    day I wear them it's snowing. Barrie Last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the pictures. . .it reminds me that my pair is just sitting at home, not getting much wear. Going to have to take them out this weekend to build up some of that lovely patina. The color on them is stunning right out of the box, so I can't imagine what they will look like in a year or two!

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Alden Brown Wax (Not dark brown cream) - recommended to me by Alden of Carmel

I feel like the brown wax is the recommendation b/c they don't make an exact color match

I recently bought some neutral Venetian Shoe Cream, which is recommended by Nick Horween himself for conditioning shell

15. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I feel like the brown wax is the recommendation b/c they don't make an exact color match

I recently bought some neutral Venetian Shoe Cream, which is recommended by Nick Horween himself for conditioning shell

Alden makes a tan wax as well. And of course the people will tell you that they add a finish to the shell after it comes from Horween so you shouldn't use any creams because it brings out the oils in the shell and dulls the finish (maybe that's their way of saying that you shouldn't listen to the people at Horween?).

Pretty confusing if you ask me, especially since at the end of the day they're still a friggin pair of shoes. Me, I use Kiwi (medium tan). Works fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.