• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Small-timer "champagne" recommendation: Louis Bouillot Cremant de Bourgogne RosÃ
00a9.png
"Perle d'Aurore"

1015268x.jpg

This replaces my go-to cheap bubbly: J. Laurent. It's not technically champagne since it's from Burgundy. But it's 14 bucks, pink and tasty. Check it out.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Cracked two bottles last night. 06 Merry Edwards Flax Vineyards and the BN I bought on the weekend. The ME was a bit more tart than her usual offering. 06 is not known as a great vintage and I wonder if this is part of it. I have another bottle that I'll let sleep for a couple of years and see if it improves.

The BN was my first. Tons of banana or cream of banana on the nose. The taste was light and fruity, fruit juice with alcohol basically and a little touch of bubbles. For eight bucks I would drink another bottle.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you liked the george debouef bn? i should go seek a bottle out.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
you liked the george debouef bn? i should go seek a bottle out.

Well, keep in mind it was $8 so I had an expectation to match the price. Also, as my first BN, I was expecting nothing more than fruity grape juice with alcohol and a little touch of fizz. My expectations were totally met.

I think you could get nearly the same result with grape juice, a few drops of banana extract, some everclear and top with soda.
laugh.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bollinger Brut Rose this weekend - lovely but damn expensive.

large_BollyRosebottle.JPG

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night was 2008 Brancaia Tre. Many people raved about the '07 but I never actually got a chance to try it out, so naturally after seeing the '08 I decided to give it a whirl.

Overall, I liked the wine and thought it was well made especially for it's price-point. I do regret not giving it a good decant, but I opened the bottle on a whim and it did get noticeably better as it got some air. I still have half a bottle left so it will be interesting to see how it evolved overnight in the cellar.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Bollinger Brut Rose this weekend - lovely but damn expensive.

it's odd, the Bollinger NV stuff I see is often more expensive than the other houses ... yet their vintage cuvee is substantially cheaper and of just as high quality.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Cracked two bottles last night. 06 Merry Edwards Flax Vineyards and the BN I bought on the weekend. The ME was a bit more tart than her usual offering. 06 is not known as a great vintage and I wonder if this is part of it. I have another bottle that I'll let sleep for a couple of years and see if it improves.

What Merry Edwards would you most often recommend, Pio?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am trying to remember the last rose champ that I genuinely disliked and I can't.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire

The BN was my first. Tons of banana or cream of banana on the nose. The taste was light and fruity, fruit juice with alcohol basically and a little touch of bubbles. For eight bucks I would drink another bottle.

I really enjoyed the 07's of both the Sonoma Coast and Flax...sounds like they're a little richer and deeper than the 06s

ME_111310_01.jpg
ME_111310_02.jpg

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am yet to try a pinot noir, and want to shortly... is oregon really the best place to try a bottle from? Any suggestions on something easily findable for under $20?

Thanks

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I am yet to try a pinot noir, and want to shortly... is oregon really the best place to try a bottle from? Any suggestions on something easily findable for under $20?

Thanks

Poi!?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle

Thanks

for that price, I'd lean to Oregon myself

Originally Posted by edmorel
client sent in a few boxes of Taittenger Prelude Grand Crus. thought it was inexpensive plunk but seems to get positive reviews and price is higher than I expected. Anyone had it?

give me a bottle and I will be happy to evaluate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads