The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

What Merry Edwards would you most often recommend, Pio?

The one with the prettiest label. [​IMG]

Freakonomics on Wine

Seriously though, I think the RRV blend is a decent value and easily drinkable wine. I enjoy the Coppersmith SVD though.

I really enjoyed the 07's of both the Sonoma Coast and Flax...sounds like they're a little richer and deeper than the 06s

They are. I've had an 07 RRV and much fuller, more fruit and more complexity.

I am yet to try a pinot noir, and want to shortly... is oregon really the best place to try a bottle from? Any suggestions on something easily findable for under $20?

Thanks

I don't think anyone could say Oregon is the "best place" to try, I think most folks would have to give Burgundy the nod for that. However, Oregon is a good place to find very good Pinot. For that price range, I would try a Penner-Ash or Caldwell Hills. You should be able to get them for under $30, depending on the bottling. I don't think you're going to find a Left Coast Pinot for under $20 that would be a good representation of what they have to offer.

2. Piobaire

Just arrived:

2 x O7 Lewelling Cab
    2 x 07 Lewelling Cab Wight

Paid for them nearly 18 months ago and forgot about all about them until I got an email for the 08 vintage. I did not move fast enough and they sold out before I could log on and claim my allocation [​IMG] These are the two wines I spoke of the RP score that had all Petrus break out.

3. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Got the second part of my Shafer shipment today. The 3 '06 Hillside's came a couple of weeks ago.

Today I got 6 x '08 Red Shoulder Ranch Chard and 6 x '07 Relentless.

Other than some Garagiste shipments that will come who-knows-when, this is it for me this year.

4. Piobaire

Got the second part of my Shafer shipment today. The 3 '06 Hillside's came a couple of weeks ago.

Today I got 6 x '08 Red Shoulder Ranch Chard and 6 x '07 Relentless.

[​IMG]

Question: corkage is available in Vegas?

5. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

[​IMG]

Question: corkage is available in Vegas?

Not sure. Was thinking though that we should all bring a bottle or two from the collection to taste. You know...the good stuff.

I could bring a bottle of the '04 Hillside. Manton's not coming so there'll be no one there to scold us for vinfanticide.

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Bollinger Brut Rose this weekend - lovely but damn expensive.

[​IMG]

Nice.

7. Piobaire

Not sure. Was thinking though that we should all bring a bottle or two from the collection to taste. You know...the good stuff. I could bring a bottle of the '04 Hillside. Manton's not coming so there'll be no one there to scold us for vinfanticide.
    [​IMG] I'm ambivalent on the idea actually. Vegas has so many places with such excellent wine. However, certainly would be more thrifty to bring a bottle or two each. Since we would have several people, one of my bottles would be a mature vintage port. Edit: WTF is up with the blurry pics lately? Think I need to check the settings. Tomorrow. Maybe. [​IMG]

8. binge

binge Senior member

Just got a text from a friend of mine in Boston: got 2 bottles of Romanee-Conti 2005, $1900 each.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

9. Piobaire

Just got a text from a friend of mine in Boston: got 2 bottles of Romanee-Conti 2005, $1900 each.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

[​IMG]

10. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Much consternation about Oz Shiraz', much of it warranted. To much heat, alcohol or fruit bombs. Not this beauty. Expensive at $50, and worth the dough. Smooth and sophisticated with glorious flavour and everything in balance. Worthy of your $$$. Much needed after a seriously shitty day. It appeased my wrath. [​IMG]

11. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Tonight was a nice 1er cru Chablis: Domaine William Fevre "Beauroy" from 2002.

12. Piobaire

05 Martin Ray RRV Chard. Nice, particularly at $16.

13. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Tonight was Vigne Regali's 2007 Albarossa. At first I was kind of skeptical about a cross breed between Barbera and Nebbiolo but both the structure of the Nebbiolo and the aroma from the Barbera really showed and paired nicely with my steak, sunchokes, and sweet potatoes. Overall, I'm a happy little robot.

14. vinouspleasure

vinouspleasure Senior member

Much consternation about Oz Shiraz', much of it warranted. To much heat, alcohol or fruit bombs. Not this beauty. Expensive at $50, and worth the dough. Smooth and sophisticated with glorious flavour and everything in balance. Worthy of your $$$. Much needed after a seriously shitty day. It appeased my wrath.
    a couple of vintages have been murky messes but I have mostly loved this wine and think it well priced...you won't hear my say that about too many new world $50 wines.

15. Piobaire

vinous, you have to give us some more recs like that Rutherford Cab.