• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"SF Approved" Items You Can't Get Behind

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Knit Ties. So so ugly.

Also, unbuttoned BD shirts.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by earthdragon
Ralph's 'Clunky' old Men's Shoe's - an abomination IMHO... 'The one's that everyone get's a Mongrel over, during Sale time.

For God's sake, man, it took me the better part of 45 seconds to figure out what you were even trying to say here. Learn how to use apostrophes correctly (hint: it's not to form plurals).

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
bright colored pants

Johnny24

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Knit Ties. So so ugly.

Also, unbuttoned BD shirts.

I have to disagree on the knit tie but that is my opinion and you are entitled to your own as well. Personally I think they are interesting and unique for most people due the small ratio of SF posters to common folk. I think they one of the only really acceptable "skinny" ties that can work with a business casual look (depending on the office) and the wider model is perfect with a suit that does not have anorexia of the lapel.

As for the BD shirt...I would never wear one with a suit, period. With a v-neck sweater and odd pants of chinos, I agree with you. For casual wear with jeans and untucked, I think keeping them buttoned on, say, a gingham shirt looks very stuffy. I prefer the artfully disheveled look in that situation.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't a clue what is and what isn't approved. Might we have a list?

odiv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Film Noir Buff. Go to "The Wardrobe" and click on "When Bespoke Dreams Go Wrong," or whatever it is called.

Been looking around and can't seem to find their pics thread(s). Do they not have one?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odiv
Been looking around and can't seem to find their pics thread(s). Do they not have one?

exactly
lol8[1].gif

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I cant get behind whole cuts:
Tim+Little+Whole+Cut.jpg

westminster.jpg

Whenever I see it, it reminds me of a really crude/rough stitch job after surgery or something.

Also double monks. I'm like regular/single monks. But double monks just doesn't look right to me:
burford-tan-300.jpg

reminds me of double velcro shoes I used to wear as a kid.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Film Noir Buff. Go to "The Wardrobe" and click on "When Bespoke Dreams Go Wrong," or whatever it is called. Only go if you have a strong constitution. You, me and Spoo are regulars in that thread, and it is very ugly. The guys over there are douchebags of the highest order. You have been warned.
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh2003
Tony, you seem to be forgetting your sartorial basics here - the outfit needs a LOT of help: - I don't see any 4' cuffs. Pants are much too tight, should have more room to move in them, and a better drape. - Shoes should be snuff suede double or triple monks. - Pocket square is not eccentric enough; should be a warmer color (hot pink, chartreuse) and pulled farther out of the pocket. - Why only six buttons? Also, the jacket would look much better with a very soft, natural shoulder, like a sweater. - Needs accessories: at least one stick umbrella, a briefcase or tote bag, ray bans, bracelets. Where is the lapel flower? Very careless. - Poster should be jumping into the air - Shirt and tie are a disaster. Where's the sprezz? Should be a bold checked BD (with buttons undone) and a yellow or chartreuse tie. - On that note, suit fabric is boring. A heavy tweed in a double Prince of Wales check, maybe with some metallic threads, would enliven the outfit. - Not even a hint of fun socks? - Leaves on the ground make me think that the whole outfit would be set off by a nice wool topcoat with gloves sticking out of the breast and hip pockets.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dunno where that Gilgamesh quote came from but it is brilliant. Hits almost everything right on the head except he forgot comedy beards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads