• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fungz0r
Well the frames go for around $200, which falls under my health insurance claim so I'd be basically getting them for free. Which other brands would have something similar? I don't know much about glasses, my current ones are from Momo, the racing brand.

oh, you must be getting them at an optometrist office. Confirm the price of the lenses and dispensing fee. It may come out to more than your budget allows.

I am not saying that they are bad frames, I am just saying that you can get other ones for a more competitive price. IMO, they are the similar quality of say Rayban or Persol. But if the style works for you, go for it. And if your insurance is paying for it, all the better!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Sorry for going off topic but...

I JUST HIT 1,000 POSTS!!!! MOSTLY FROM THIS THREAD (I'm not much help in any other thread). LOL!

Ladies and gentlemen, this is effective spamming. Well done.

husbands

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Barton Perreira Sebastians:
1535_back.jpg

I can get them a little cheaper than $380...

irbe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob
How is the quality of mykita lenses? Are they equal to the price?

I like them. Little pricey, but they are pretty light weight. Lots of styles to choose from and I get a kick out of the hingeless legs.

negusnegas

Reaction score
I have tried to search through this thread and on SF in general, but have had some difficulty finding information about the various made to measure eyewear makers out there. I know Davies has a program and read on here that Oliver Goldsmith does too, but was wondering if there were any US based options and general price ranges. I am searching as a xmas present for my stepdad, who has a extremely hard time finding well fitting glasses(combination of large head and assymetry) lead to glasses being uncomfortable and plain ill fitting. I know he wouldn't buy them for himself so I am hoping I can find a decently affordable option so I can give him a gift certificate or something of that sort for xmas.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by husbands
What are your thoughts on Barton Perreira Sebastians:
1535_back.jpg

I can get them a little cheaper than $380...

Not bad. The style reminds me of a Salt Optics frame which is probably in the same price range. If you like the style, go for it. The quality should be decent as well.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by negusnegas
I have tried to search through this thread and on SF in general, but have had some difficulty finding information about the various made to measure eyewear makers out there. I know Davies has a program and read on here that Oliver Goldsmith does too, but was wondering if there were any US based options and general price ranges. I am searching as a xmas present for my stepdad, who has a extremely hard time finding well fitting glasses(combination of large head and assymetry) lead to glasses being uncomfortable and plain ill fitting. I know he wouldn't buy them for himself so I am hoping I can find a decently affordable option so I can give him a gift certificate or something of that sort for xmas.

Funny thing you ask. I don't know of any but I have been recently looking it up too. When I find some, I will post it up in here.

xM.

Reaction score
So I tried on a pair of Oliver People's Larrabee's todays in a 48 and it was so close to perfect. The sales staff told me they don't come in a smaller size, but I've found them in 45 in "PopularGlasses.com". Is the site bullshit, or what? Also, the colours seem a bit off on their site. What's the name of the darkest tortoise they make? I like a bit of colour but not too much visible contrast.

If they don't legitimately make a Larrabee in size 45, anything similar? It's between that and Riley in a 43.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xM.
So I tried on a pair of Oliver People's Larrabee's todays in a 48 and it was so close to perfect. The sales staff told me they don't come in a smaller size, but I've found them in 45 in "PopularGlasses.com". Is the site bullshit, or what? Also, the colours seem a bit off on their site. What's the name of the darkest tortoise they make? I like a bit of colour but not too much visible contrast.

If they don't legitimately make a Larrabee in size 45, anything similar? It's between that and Riley in a 43.

I don't trust popularglasses.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
I'm purchasing some Ray Ban Old Wayfarers but my ears are crooked how do I get that **** fixed (the glasses, not my ears)?

Yes. It can be fixed. The Wayfarers are a bit difficult to work with because of the way that their hinges/fronts are designed. A skilled dispenser will be able to make the necessary with a file and a heater. If you go somewhere and they tell you it cannot be done, just walk out and find an older dispenser. It was a very common style of hinge to adjust back in the 70-80s.

xM.

Reaction score
CityConnection, can you help with what I posted earlier?
Originally Posted by xM.
So I tried on a pair of Oliver People's Larrabee's todays in a 48 and it was so close to perfect. The sales staff told me they don't come in a smaller size, but I've found them in 45 in "PopularGlasses.com". Is the site bullshit, or what? Also, the colours seem a bit off on their site. What's the name of the darkest tortoise they make? I like a bit of colour but not too much visible contrast. If they don't legitimately make a Larrabee in size 45, anything similar? It's between that and Riley in a 43.
I'm not sure I trust popularglasses, since they seem to be the only site in existence with the Larrabee's in a 45. Do they actually exist, and if not, what's are some similar options? Like I said, the 48 looks decent enough as a slightly oversized frame, but I'm really not looking for something slightly oversized.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xM.
CityConnection, can you help with what I posted earlier? I'm not sure I trust popularglasses, since they seem to be the only site in existence with the Larrabee's in a 45. Do they actually exist, and if not, what's are some similar options? Like I said, the 48 looks decent enough as a slightly oversized frame, but I'm really not looking for something slightly oversized.
Look, you asked Oliver Peoples directly and they told you they don't have it. I don't see why this is so difficult for you. Do you actually lack that much common sense that you'd trust a not reputable third party seller over the company itself?

xM.

Reaction score
I didn't ask Oliver Peoples' directly, I asked the lady working at the store I went to who only had a 2008 catalogue on hand. I'm as much asking about legitimacy of there being a size 45 as I am looking for alternatives.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads