• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

orsetto

Reaction score
Thanks, CC.

Lens quality is primary concern. After that, something that sits well on my hard-to-fit East Asian face--low nose bridge.

I've been looking for something in a more classic style. Tried on Persol 2953 53 mm and they fit alright but the finish could've been better. Maybe it was just that display pair.

Are there any brands/models you recommend?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orsetto
Thanks, CC.

Lens quality is primary concern. After that, something that sits well on my hard-to-fit East Asian face--low nose bridge.

I've been looking for something in a more classic style. Tried on Persol 2953 53 mm and they fit alright but the finish could've been better. Maybe it was just that display pair.

Are there any brands/models you recommend?

If you are looking for a Persol style, between the 2 brands, you're probably looking for the Salt Optics. The optics will be good and the quality will be better than that of Persol. In terms of style, you can try them out and see what works for you. They have a decent amount of styles now.

orsetto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
If you are looking for a Persol style, between the 2 brands, you're probably looking for the Salt Optics. The optics will be good and the quality will be better than that of Persol. In terms of style, you can try them out and see what works for you. They have a decent amount of styles now.

Thanks, CC. You're right. Just had my first look at Salt. So far, I like the Warner aviators.
My first stop didn't have much in sunglasses so I'll be checking out some more soon.

By the way, do you where I can get a good deal on Salt sunglasses? I'm in California. Thank you

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by orsetto
Thanks, CC. You're right. Just had my first look at Salt. So far, I like the Warner aviators.
My first stop didn't have much in sunglasses so I'll be checking out some more soon.

By the way, do you where I can get a good deal on Salt sunglasses? I'm in California. Thank you

I don't know of any local salt dealers but their website has a list of all their authorized dealers.

orsetto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
I don't know of any local salt dealers but their website has a list of all their authorized dealers.

Thought you might share your connections
biggrin.gif

Salt has some poly lenses. Got a wtf response when I asked to see glass

Taimur

Reaction score
What is your opinion of the quality of Cartier eyeglasses? I am looking for new frames and like various models by Oliver Peoples, Robert Marc, and Cartier. How do the three compare in terms of craftsmanship, quality, longevity, and (dare I ask) cachet?

Thanks in advance.

orsetto

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Masunaga / 光輝 frames?
I'm liking the fit of 003 and 004 models. Can't find much info in English

ZMEH

Reaction score
Are there any alternatives out there to the Oliver Peoples NDG-1? The upcoming clip on looks great imo.
Oliver-Peoples-2011-eyewear-glasses-ad-ads-devendra-banhart-NDG-1-clip-on-flip-up.jpg

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where can i get cheap 4147 wayfarers on the net?
or whats a good online sunglass retailer alltogether?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taimur
What is your opinion of the quality of Cartier eyeglasses? I am looking for new frames and like various models by Oliver Peoples, Robert Marc, and Cartier. How do the three compare in terms of craftsmanship, quality, longevity, and (dare I ask) cachet?

Thanks in advance.

Oliver Peoples are now owned by LUX, so I think you know where I am going with that. IMHO, I would go with an independent company like Salt which has classic styling and more quality/customer satisfaction driven.

Robert Marc, I haven't had any expose to in a while. In the past the quality has been quite good. I can't recall their price range but I do remember them being decent.

Cartier has a much more attention for detail but the price will reflect that. They are good quality if you have the buck to blow on it. Personally, I think you could find other brands with equal quality but not pay a premium for the branding. But their colors do not fade even a bit. I have some from about 15 yrs ago and they are still the same color without fading.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads