• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't write off Dior altogether. Just the old/dated stuff that licensed. Lots of people snag any Dior because they don't know about the licensed stuff. If you see something that looks pretty new and isn't obviously fake that has a tag like this, I'd grab it. Most are made in Italy, whereas most of the licensed stuff was made in Hong Kong. Still, 99% of the Dior stuff out there will be the old junk. I've never come across a newer Dior piece. You'd probably have to live in LA or NYC to find something like that, but you never know.
DSC08139.jpg
DSC08123.jpg

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Don't write off Dior altogether. Just the old/dated stuff that licensed. Lots of people snag any Dior because they don't know about the licensed stuff.

If you see something that looks pretty new and isn't obviously fake that has a tag like this, I'd grab it. Most are made in Italy, whereas most of the licensed stuff was made in Hong Kong. Still, 99% of the Dior stuff out there will be the old junk. I've never come across a newer Dior piece. You'd probably have to live in LA or NYC to find something like that, but you never know.

so silver label that just reads Dior (excluding the jeans )

is hedi slimane and newer right?

wasn't there a "christian dior homme" line in the 1970's that was actually a designer label?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen the stuff in person, but I think any plain labels that just read Dior is the newer stuff. You can easily tell by the fabric content tags too if it's new or old. Not sure about the 70's era stuff. I've seen a lot of Christian Dior Homme stuff from the 70's that looks like junk.

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
Bought a '80s Brooks Brothers 3/2 roll sack blue jacket. It fits absolutely, utterly perfectly. I figure it's '80s, the tag is in the all caps block lettering, is that right. Also: it's a lightweight cotten blend, washable too according to the tag on the inside of the pocket. Passe' or awesome? I am torn, but the fit was far to good to pass up.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinasity
Thats what I was hoping but not sure of because I have never owned a pair of EG before, anyways here a some pics of the shoes.

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

They look nice! I have never owned a pair of EG either, whats the size???
inlove.gif

lynch_king

Reaction score
so im finding out, almost everything i had "found" were just ****** licenses. i don't know about that burberry's trench coat it doesn't say made in england and has poleyster mixed into the content so im guessing it's a license. can any confirm that these are also licensed goods?
license.jpg

aridhol

Reaction score
Is there a definitive guide / post about identifying items when thrifting?

I am quite new to both the forum and thrifting and feel like I could be missing some great things.
I have no problem with Step 1: If it looks good and feels good buy it
It's identifying quality that is tough because I have no experience or guide.

The primary reason I go is to build my wardrobe affordably and to learn what looks good on me and what "my" style is.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aridhol
Is there a definitive guide / post about identifying items when thrifting?

I am quite new to both the forum and thrifting and feel like I could be missing some great things.

It's identifying quality that is tough because I have no experience or guide.

Ah yes there is. It's called THIS THREAD. Try reading it.

aridhol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Ah yes there is. It's called THIS THREAD. Try reading it.

Read all 648 pages and 5 years worth of posts and write stuff down so I can take it with me when I go?
smile.gif

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read all 648 pages and 5 years worth of posts and write stuff down so I can take it with me when I go?
smile.gif

You wouldn't be the first. Or, I suppose one of us who has read this thread can take time out of thrifting (and everything else we have to do in life) to summarize for you all 648 pages and 5 years worth of posts.

aridhol

Reaction score
I seem to have touched some nerve and I apologize. I was just curious if someone had already done something like that or had seen a guide on another site. I do intend to read the thread.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I seem to have touched some nerve and I apologize. I was just curious if someone had already done something like that or had seen a guide on another site. I do intend to read the thread.

oh dont be so hard on the new guy,heres some tips (short version)
Brioni
isaia
kiton
attolini
tom ford
caruso these are the grails

stuff worth picking up
canali
zegna
etro

for suits look at canavassed items,the top of the line allways has working cuffs.
for shirts look at the buttons besides the brand (mother of pearl thick type)

ties
hermes (natch)
tom ford
brioni
kiton
dolcepunta
(anything seven fold)

shoes
Vass
Edward green
Peal & co
Lobb

this is a short vesrion but will get you started

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You just get better at it with time. Even if there was a list of rules it would be useless until you actually went out and started checking out the stores yourself. Every city will have different brands that pop up more often than others so memorizing a list of 500 different random companies seems kinda useless if 450 of them may never actually end up anywhere near the city you live in.

Most of the time I find that the actual brand name doesnt mean a whole lot for anything other than bragging on here that you found X brand for Y dollars. You can tell right away if a fabric is decent or not just by looking at it. If it looks nice, and it is the correct general size, it either fits properly or it doesnt. If it doesnt, then you have to figure out if its worth paying the extra money to get it tailored to fit better.

When I started looking at thrift stores I would find a lot of shirts that were really nice fabric, fit well in the shoulders and collar, but the mid sections were huge so I passed on them. These days I have been picking those same types of shirts up for around $5 each, taking them to my local tailor to have them altered for around $20 each and now I have a decent collection of nice dress shirts that fit me perfectly for around $25-$30 each. Not a bad price when you think about it.

Eventually you will start to recognize the brand names a little more but really its not so crucial. Thats what I have found anyway. Im sure some of the other forum members will have something different to say about it and thats cool too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics