The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Apply Oxiclean powder on the ring around the collar, so the yellow ring is covered. Scrub the dry Oxiclean into the stained area with a toothbrush dipped in white vinegar (I suppose any type of vinegar will do). It will start to foam. Let it sit for 2-3 hours. Then just toss it into the wash. Works 90% of the time. It's just a modified version of V-man's amazing stain removal technique.

Thanks! Thought the Gralab timer was kinda neat. I picked it up for a friend who is into 35mm photography, but he already had several.

2. catside

catside Senior member

Picked up 2 Christian dior ties

i think they are fake though all the Christian Dior stuff i see always says moniseuer unless its Dior homme

and these are defnitley not black enough or covered in enough spider print to be dior homme

can anyone tell me if this is a real dior label?

i also picked up a new with tags gap plaid tie, i was at H&M and thought about picking up the plaid tie there but it was polyester. the gap one was silk even if it was more expensive. (yeah thrift stores cost more than H&M!!!)

the cuff links are from H&M $5 (they are alexander mcqueen cuff link knockoffs)

they were interesting so i thought i'd buy them, damn thrift store wanted $10 for their ugly cufflinks
    [​IMG]

I see that Dior label all the time at thrifts.

3. catside

catside Senior member

Apply Oxiclean powder on the ring around the collar, so the yellow ring is covered. Scrub the dry Oxiclean into the stained area with a toothbrush dipped in white vinegar (I suppose any type of vinegar will do). It will start to foam. Let it sit for 2-3 hours. Then just toss it into the wash. Works 90% of the time. It's just a modified version of V-man's amazing stain removal technique.

Thanks! Thought the Gralab timer was kinda neat. I picked it up for a friend who is into 35mm photography, but he already had several.

Do not use Balsamic vinegar:)

4. uriah heep

uriah heep Member

Long time lurker, first time poster.
    It's amazing what's you folks get in the discount stores in the US. Not to mention the prices.

5. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Whaaaat?! Kiton? In Minnesota?! That's pure luck right there! [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm out of my slump. Well, for a little bit anyway. My brother and his friend came thrifting with me today as they wanted to get some sweaters for fall/winter.

Came across a nice collection of recent (2006-2009) Zegna Su Misura suits. Five of them, to be precise. All 2 button, side vented jackets with flat front trousers. $13 each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also found a almost new genuine crocodile skin belt by Cale and a NWOT brown leather belt by Trafalgar. $2 each. My brother got 4 very recent Barbour crew neck sweaters. Made in Scotland. Really nice.

So Sick!

6. randob300

randob300 Senior member

Broke a very long dry spell, although to be honest, I haven't been going as often as I would like. Happy everything I bought is in great condition and fits nicely into my wardrobe.

Today's haul:

RPL double breasted in a light gray flannel. Has some of the nicest horn buttons I've seen and the previous owner even brought in the waist a few inches for me. Something I would never be willing to spend much money on because it's a bit flashy for work.

RPL dark grey 2-button herringbone. About as standard as you get.

Charcoal flannel with faint chalk strip BB Golden Fleece. I'm no big-timer, so this is probably the nicest fabric I have in a suit and the roll is awesome. Can't wait to get the pants hemmed and wear this one.

E. Zegna medium gray birdseye....exceptionally soft and thick. I usually prefer single vents, but the double on this seems to still work and not flap in the wind. Another fabric I probably wouldn't buy unless at a steep discount.

Also grabbed two Brioni ties, a Gucci (never thought I would wear Gucci, but I needed a red tie), a great J Press for spring, and six Hardy Ames wool ties. I love H.A. ties for the winter months and was happy to find these were all great color combinations, especially under sweaters.

7. randob300

randob300 Senior member

Whaaaat?! Kiton? In Minnesota?! That's pure luck right there! [​IMG] Anyway, I'm out of my slump. Well, for a little bit anyway. My brother and his friend came thrifting with me today as they wanted to get some sweaters for fall/winter.
    Nice find! I hope those suits are your size! At least you know you'll be able to pull a nice profit and give someone some nice suits, if they aren't.

8. ruben

ruben Senior member

Interesting.

My method uses Borax (pretty much the same as oxy clean I think, but cheaper).

Soak for a good half day in warm borax water, take out and scrub any stain with borax and toothbrush, then wash normally.

9. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Not sure if this qualify...

Picked up this Woolrich wool field coat NWT this morning for $49.

Maybe I can start a blog called Lumberjack In The City. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ruben

ruben Senior member

Picked up 2 Christian dior ties

i think they are fake though all the Christian Dior stuff i see always says moniseuer unless its Dior homme

and these are defnitley not black enough or covered in enough spider print to be dior homme

can anyone tell me if this is a real dior label?

It's real, albeit not all that impressive.

Those old black Dior tags, and "Dior Monsieur" tags are from Dior's licensed menswear line that was around in the 80s and early 90s and sold at JCPennys among other places.

I've seen it on ties, sweaters, pants, suits, overcoats and they're middling at best.

I always like it when some thrift store/ebay seller has a junky old Dior Monsieur tie priced at $75.

11. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

12. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

Does anybody recognize these markings, I bought some brogues with no labels except for this.
    [​IMG]

13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Interesting.

My method uses Borax (pretty much the same as oxy clean I think, but cheaper).

Soak for a good half day in warm borax water, take out and scrub any stain with borax and toothbrush, then wash normally.

Ah - I'll have to give that a shot sometime!

Not sure if this qualify...

Picked up this Woolrich wool field coat NWT this morning for $49.

Maybe I can start a blog called Lumberjack In The City. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very nice! Love the vintage workwear vibe!

While going over the Zegna Su Misura suits I bought yesterday, I found something a bit alarming The trousers with the solid charcoal suit were not the actual suit trousers, but were OTR odd trousers in a very similar color. So I got a cool pair of recent Zegna trousers. Cool. Now I'm stuck with an orphan suit jacket. Not cool. I went back to the store this morning and to my relief I found the trousers for the charcoal suit hanging on the rack. $5. Got those. Then I move down the line and find a super nice pair of charcoal flat-front Incotex wool trousers in my size. Also $5. Then I found another pair of Zegna Su Misura suit trousers. Navy with silver pinstripes. Sadly the jacket was nowhere to be found. Still, for another $5 I grabbed them in hopes that I will come across the jacket within the next week here.

[​IMG]

L to R: Zegna Orphan trousers, Incotex, Zegna trousers for the charcoal suit

[​IMG]

The Zegna trousers I got last night with the suit

15. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

It's real, albeit not all that impressive.

Those old black Dior tags, and "Dior Monsieur" tags are from Dior's licensed menswear line that was around in the 80s and early 90s and sold at JCPennys among other places.

I've seen it on ties, sweaters, pants, suits, overcoats and they're middling at best.

I always like it when some thrift store/ebay seller has a junky old Dior Monsieur tie priced at $75.

ahhh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. when i started this stuff i went through the entire thread wrting down brands i saw alot of people buying dior (which i now know is just licensed)

thank you
    i'll add dior to the pass on list

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.