The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Now comes the good part. A few more shirts more and bingo....Kiton I've never seen one in real life, was gonna buy it no matter what. Awesome blue stripes. The price? $3.95 (with the discount $2.96) size 40 and perfect fit
    Whaaaat?! Kiton? In Minnesota?! That's pure luck right there! [​IMG] Anyway, I'm out of my slump. Well, for a little bit anyway. My brother and his friend came thrifting with me today as they wanted to get some sweaters for fall/winter. Came across a nice collection of recent (2006-2009) Zegna Su Misura suits. Five of them, to be precise. All 2 button, side vented jackets with flat front trousers. $13 each. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Also found a almost new genuine crocodile skin belt by Cale and a NWOT brown leather belt by Trafalgar. $2 each. My brother got 4 very recent Barbour crew neck sweaters. Made in Scotland. Really nice.

2. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Let me guess: all your size, right? I might have to go thrifting the next time I am up in the Twin Cities!

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Close, but I'm not that lucky! These are a little tight. I can button the jacket, but I have no extra room at all. Not sure how much extra room can be let out to make the jacket a bit roomier. The belts work well for me, though! I don't think the tan striped one was even worn. All the tags are crisp, all pockets, even one interior pocket are still sewn shut! It's only one year old.

4. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

picked up a sulka dress shirt.... passed on a holland & sherry shirt and a couple hawes & curtis shirts but wasn't in a spending mood

in other news, I sold a thrift store find to a husband of one of those housewives from one of those Housewives shows which is pretty interesting i guess

5. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Wow - really? Care to mention what it was? I always thought those husbands were big-shots who paid retail at NM/Barneys/Etc.

6. illeagle

illeagle Senior member

^^ Wow - really? Care to mention what it was? I always thought those husbands were big-shots who paid retail at NM/Barneys/Etc.

t'was an '04 blue iridescent versace blazer. and i had similar thoughts

7. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Random burgundy cashmere sweater for myself, Viyella made in UK sweater to sell, Levis 501's black in great shape with the full tag on the back to sell = decent afternoon.

Isaia tie at Filene's - $31 out the door. First bit of Isaia I've actually touched. Only one in the building, came from Barney's, I'm guessing because of a couple of nits and the back keeper being loose, which I can sew back perfectly. Not quite a thrift, but I would have paid $31 for it no matter where it came from! My wife doesn't know it yet, but I'm keeping this one. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

Picked up 2 Christian dior ties i think they are fake though all the Christian Dior stuff i see always says moniseuer unless its Dior homme and these are defnitley not black enough or covered in enough spider print to be dior homme can anyone tell me if this is a real dior label? i also picked up a new with tags gap plaid tie, i was at H&M and thought about picking up the plaid tie there but it was polyester. the gap one was silk even if it was more expensive. (yeah thrift stores cost more than H&M!!!) the cuff links are from H&M $5 (they are alexander mcqueen cuff link knockoffs) they were interesting so i thought i'd buy them, damn thrift store wanted $10 for their ugly cufflinks [​IMG]

9. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    Whaaaat?! Kiton? In Minnesota?! That's pure luck right there! [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm out of my slump. Well, for a little bit anyway. My brother and his friend came thrifting with me today as they wanted to get some sweaters for fall/winter.

Came across a nice collection of recent (2006-2009) Zegna Su Misura suits. Five of them, to be precise. All 2 button, side vented jackets with flat front trousers. $13 each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also found a almost new genuine crocodile skin belt by Cale and a NWOT brown leather belt by Trafalgar. $2 each. My brother got 4 very recent Barbour crew neck sweaters. Made in Scotland. Really nice.

Ummmm . . . wow? Great finds! Jeez. Not bad for a day's work.

10. Burgermeister

Burgermeister Member

goddamn, where are these thrift stores!!???!!?!?

11. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    Great sweater, I love it when I find cashmere! two so far this fall one a cardigan and the other one a two ply v neck

12. chrisc

chrisc Well-Known Member

Found a Corneliani suit in 42R (well, some tag had the number 42 on it), but for some reason fit like a 38 or so. Fit was great, incredible quality.

Then I looked at the pants...

A urine stain inside that was the size of Texas.

*sigh*

13. lynch_king

lynch_king Senior member

more info on those paco rabanne ties i thrifted:
    PARIS--Paco Rabanne has just signed a worldwide tie license contract with the accessories division of Ermenegildo Zegna. Paco Rabanne ties were previously under license with Prady since 1978. The change of licensee is part of a general restructuring program with a view to improving Paco Rabanne's international presence. The Paco Rabanne tie collection will be produced and distributed by Bolgheri, based in Novara, Italy.

sounds like i got a good tie

14. ruben

ruben Senior member

I've been on a long dry streak, but finally found something today. A bespoke shirt from Bowring Arundel of Savile Row. $1.99. Very well made. Split yoke, side gussets, MOP buttons. Fits me very well. The collar has a bit of a ring around it, so it'll get my stain treatment tonight.
    What's your stain treatment? also, cool ebay stuff you're selling. I have a couple of those old Gralab timers (one thrifted).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.