• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat Fit Help!

dddx

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I went down to my local Uniqlo store today and tried on their wool peacoats. I need some advice on how they fit. I know the sleeves are short, but I think I can get about a half-inch more out of them by sending them to a tailor.

I don't know, somehow, I feel the large is not fitted enough, and is a bit long in the body and a bit skirty. But, is the medium too short in the body? Which is preferable? I suppose I should get the large and then go to a tailor to slim it down and shorten it? Or get the medium and just lengthen the sleeve?

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Me in just a light fleece zip-up (for reference):

Vanilla.jpg

In the medium:

MediumFront.jpg

MediumMirror.jpg

MediumMirror2.jpg

MediumSide.jpg

In the large:

LargeFront.jpg

LargeMirror.jpg

LargeMirror2.jpg

LargeSide.jpg

GucciMonster

Reaction score
Go for the large ESPECIALLY if you think there's a possibility of layering.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, go Large. You'll want the room for layering for sure.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
sleeves are too short on both, body is rather short on both too. Medium is too small on you, get the larger, that is if you even get this but I would recomend hunting around some more.

dddx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trader
they look like womens coats on you
Originally Posted by Jesse
+1 Looks odd on you.
Oh really? Crap. So I should skip both of them? I always have problems finding clothes that fit off the rack because of my long arms and body.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a TOJ peacoat, you can ask for longer measurements than their standard.

J.T. Thunderbird

Reaction score
I bought that same pea coat last week, in a medium. Fortunately for me though, the sleeve and body length work.

My vote, for your proportions, is another brand.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
iff you can afford the price , check sterling wear of Boston. they have a true size range of sizes.
not that mickey mouse small medium large nonsense.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
iff you can afford the price , check sterling wear of Boston. they have a true size range of sizes. not that mickey mouse small medium large nonsense.
Judging by the surfeit of 4/10 women & short ugly men in the background (all with glum faces), I would hazard a guess that he is in Singapore - I don't think that is a convenient option for him at present, or that he really has much options for peacoats in the first place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads