• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 million dollars in 1 year: How would you spend it?

clubbyjones

Reaction score
My honest answer?

Buy this car in the video, enjoy it for a month or so, sell it for $50k more. Then you have $1.05 mil for the next 11 months.

With that money:

1) I'd walk around to different homeless folks or people who were legitimately struggling. Then, in the ones absent of mental illness or drug addiction, spluge on a few of them to really get their life going.
2) Buy into a resort/vacation home (for lasting profit) or a select community center (for a lasting legacy).

Still, step 1:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1 million is not enough for anything truly extravagant. but it is enough for the ultimate luxury - quitting my lame ass job

Night Owl

Reaction score
give $2500 to unmarried women to get abortion, die knowing that i made the world a better place

Originally Posted by Dedalus
Hold a contest with a $1 million prize, where people have to debase themselves to win.

**** people will debase themselves plenty for a lot less than $1m

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
Buy EVERYTHING in B&S.

Star

Reaction score
Buy an expensive collectors postage stamp and use it to post a postcard of a naked woman? (or man if you are into that)

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
would spend entire amount on a house or condo since i'm not allowed to invest it.

Then you'd get hit with property taxes and upkeep after the money's gone. You wouldn't be able to afford to keep the house. This is, more or less, what happens to almost every single lottery winner and quite a few professional athletes: they spend into a frenzy on houses, cars, planes, boats, etc, without taking total lifetime cost of ownership into consideration.

I realize we're playing make-believe and don't want to give boring answers, and I apologize for continuing to be a wet blanket. But at the same time, you don't want to spend more than the million, if you see what I'm saying here. The goal doesn't have to be to save the million, but it definitely shouldn't be to accumulate a ton of debt and losses that stick with you after the million's been spent.

I would imagine that buying collectibles or commodities with the money is against the rules of the game, so buying a bunch of gold bars is probably out. But would buying something like a super-expensive baseball card, or stamp, or painting, etc., be allowed? If so, I'd almost definitely go this route: again, provided you don't spend the entire million, because at least some of it would have to be set aside for insurance against, and storage of, the item in question.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
A year? I think you are giving the guys on the forum waaaay too much time

Yea I think most of these dudes could care of it before breakfast.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to tell you, but if the dude is dead, 'showing contempt' by blowing all of the money as fast as possible is just going to make you look like a moron.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Then you'd get hit with property taxes and upkeep after the money's gone.
not necessarily. Let's say one earned even just 50k; that would be sufficient to upkeep a million dollar home. This is also reinforced by the assumption that as working adults, the recipient would already have some sort of real estate to sell which would inevitably aid the circumstances. Furnishing it adequately is another matter entirely. I'm not condoning it, but it is a possibility.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Buy styleforum.net.

Ladies and profit!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'd slide that wad over to my father, because he is, like, one of the top brokers in the state.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy 3 (or 4) reasonably priced, but nice vehicles, drive 1 and store the other 2, essentially taking care of your auto expenses (minus repairs, fuel) for the next 20 years or so. $200,000

Spend about 50k on clothing.

Take a couple of nice vacations.

Buy a series of high end appliances and store these as well.

25k in non-perishable/freezable food, assuming you have the means to store it.

Put most of the remaining into a piece of undervalued real estate.

You can't invest the money in actual investment vehicles, but you can purchase things that you will eventually have to purchase, rather than just blowing all of it on vacations, etc.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Invest in a startup. Good chance you will get your wish of simply burning through it.

Commission some artwork, perhaps a piece to be donated to your city.

Donate to the local symphony, ballet, and opera etc scenes.

runner-guy

Reaction score
A nice house in Grosse Pointe, Aston Martin DB9 and whatever car the wife wants, vacations at the Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas and Four Seasons Bora Bora, a few nice suits, donate the rest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads