• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manila Tailor

yodawg

Reaction score
is that this guy? i guess it is since you mentioned "haberdasher". he makes suits too i see. anyone tried? http://themanilahaberdasher.tumblr.com/ i saw his site from a comment in phat guido's blog. i like the canvas and leather tote. i saw one at fino but it was white/tan leather. emptym, have you tried a suit from cornell? is the silhouette good enough? fabric? do they have linens? i'm not so picky tbh and neither do i know my stuff. i live near the place although i haven't taken notice where it is i know the street.

daruma

Reaction score
Yup that's him. I've got shirts shorts trousers pretty much everything from him haha. Very happy with quality. suits not...yet. good to deal with. Try him out

yodawg

Reaction score
oh noes this could get expensive...
ffffuuuu.gif

is he the best shirtmaker we have? i don't need a suit right now. i'm probably building on the odd jackets and black tie portion but that's also if i even decide to build that formal a wardrobe. we don't exactly have much use for them with our weather. but they're so nice hehe! hafta lose some weight first. *moves back to health and body*

btw does he make a good formal shoe like a black captoe? all i have in black are a pair of slip on captoes from tyler. i rarely use them as they're kinda too pointy.

also does he do women's wear too?

daruma

Reaction score
I'm not from there, bbaquiran just recommeded him. He does do them with handsewn buttonholes and Reenforced buttons, is that normal with other tailors there? If you guys have better shirt makers letme know.

I think he makes clothes for ladies too as he's got a seamstress but your best bet is to contact him.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yodawg
is he the best shirtmaker we have?
I don't know if he's the best but he's very focused on quality and making sure the customer is happy with the work.
btw does he make a good formal shoe like a black captoe?
A bunch of his customers are having custom shoes done up next month. I'm going for an Alden-style chukka. Will post pics when they're done. emptym had some helpful input on shoe construction while he was here. I also gave their shoemaker two used pairs of AEs I bought cheap on Ebay but didn't fit quite right, to take apart and study. I think they've already changed how they make the shoes based on this. BTW there is a local brand Bristol that does a decent black captoe. You can find it in most department stores.

emptym

Reaction score
is that this guy? i guess it is since you mentioned "haberdasher". he makes suits too i see. anyone tried?

http://themanilahaberdasher.tumblr.com/

i saw his site from a comment in phat guido's blog. i like the canvas and leather tote. i saw one at fino but it was white/tan leather.

emptym, have you tried a suit from cornell? is the silhouette good enough? fabric? do they have linens? i'm not so picky tbh and neither do i know my stuff. i live near the place although i haven't taken notice where it is i know the street.

I have tried a suit from Cornell. He's good, imo, particularly for the money. But I'd educate myself before going to him, if I were you. Be specific too. As acidboy noted, Cornell listens well and cares about giving you what you want. One thing I forgot to ask him for recently was a tight collar, but when I've asked for that, he's delivered. His fabric is mostly poly/wool blends. I don't think he has linen.
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
I don't know if he's the best but he's very focused on quality and making sure the customer is happy with the work...
I agree, although, I don't think he was able to mail my stuff before he went on vacation!

vaughan

Reaction score
Has anyone tried having a suit or shirt made at Hampshire Place in Shangri-la Edsa Hotel?

Satisfied with the fit? construction?

neyus

Reaction score
I thought I would post a few pictures of some Filipino made shoes which I have recently decided to import into Australia.

cap2.png

IMG_1188.jpg

Image22.jpg

Image25.jpg

Image29.jpg

All are goodyear welted or hand welted.

mfais

Reaction score
can we see the soles on those? how much for the hand welted shoes?

neyus

Reaction score
Here are pictures of the soles

Machine Welt

machinewelt.png

solehandwelt.png

SHOEMAKINGTRANSPARENT.png

Im selling the shoes from just under $190 Australian Dollars for standard mens shoe and boots from $250 up to $290, depending on height and whether they are a laced boot.

One of the manufacturers I purchase from sell shoes to SM.

emptym

Reaction score
Wow. Those look much nicer than any shoe I've ever seen at SM.

Any of the parts imported or all from the Philippines? Have you tested them long-term?

neyus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Wow. Those look much nicer than any shoe I've ever seen at SM.

Any of the parts imported or all from the Philippines? Have you tested them long-term?

I spoke to the factory and he says that alot of Filipinos like black slip on shoes, with rubber soles and square toes because they believe they are more comfortable than all leather shoes.

Everything in the shoes is from The Philippines but sometimes the uppers are imported.

As for testing I have a pair of the hand welts which I wear every few in a week. Had them now since the beginning of this year and surprisingly the sole hasn't worn through to the stitching yet. So I'm thinking the leather in the sole is harder wearing than some of the shoes I purchased from Isetan a few years ago.

I am currently talking to some of the tanneries in Europe to see if they will ship over some skins to my shoemaker. This will improve the quality of the product. I don't have any problems with the leathers in the shoes from The Philippines but admit that there is more variety and finer grade leather overseas.

yodawg

Reaction score
i like the fourth adelaide brogue. also that third suede shoe in the last pic. good luck with your business!

neyus

Reaction score
i like the fourth adelaide brogue. also that third suede shoe in the last pic. good luck with your business!

Thanks for the comments. I think the shoes are definitely getting better as we move forward. I am proud that The Philippines can make a shoe as good as some of the other countries we see.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads