• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Womens shoe salesman searching for work shoes

Ghumbs

Reaction score
Hello. First off I should introduce myself seeing as this is my first post here on SF. I'm 26 years old and have lurked around this forum for a while and many have you have inadvertently been very helpful to me in the past. This forum community seems to be very helpful so I'm happy to start posting here.

And on to my question. I sell women's shoes at Nordstrom and, for the past 8 months, have worn a pair of black Allen Edmonds Chesters (11D) and they have about had it. I have had heel pain almost every day when I get home and somehow just now realized the shoes are too big. So I'm off to find a new pair. The problem is, I can't decide if I should go with a smaller pair of AEs, something a bit nicer like Crockett & Jones, import a beautiful pair of Vass, or go with the comfort option: Mephisto.

For any of you who have dogged shoes before, you know you're constantly running around. My Nordstrom location is especially busy and large, so I want to make sure whatever I get is best for work. I'm thinking that if I go with a leather soled option, I'll only wear my shoes at work and have a separate pair of commuters to walk to and from the bus stop. However, if I go the Mephisto route, I'll just wear the hell out of them.

So that's the problem. For reference, I wear navy and grey suits to work so I'm looking for a nice brown shoe. I've decided to keep my budget at <750 but I'm really concerned most with what shoe would make the most sense. Thanks in advance!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wow - a $750 budget and you go from AE to Vass - thats pretty much the entire spread of shoes there. Cant you consult with some of the guys in the neighboring mens shoe dept?

Ghumbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Wow - a $750 budget and you go from AE to Vass - thats pretty much the entire spread of shoes there. Cant you consult with some of the guys in the neighboring mens shoe dept?

I rarely get down to their department since they're on a different level, but I plan to ask them for help. Just thought I'd bring the question here since many of you know the whole spectrum of shoes whereas Nordstrom carries only a few of the makes I'm considering (Santoni, Ferragamo, AE, some Mephisto).

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they're going to be beater work shoes why not go mid range like Alden. Save a little money and max out on long term shoe life.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The question is a bit confusing as I understand it - as you say all you care about is comfort and are considering a pair of clunky Mephistos. However if you are selling shoes, mens or womens, thats the first thing anyone will look at, so you dont want to wear any Grandpa shoes either. Take your lunch break and try on some styles downstairs and chat up the guys for their firsthand opinion. You may get a hookup if someone sees you wearing a shoe you bought in the store and you refer them to your guy downstairs.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ghumbs
. . . import a beautiful pair of Vass . . .

This is not as fool-proof as you may have talked yourself into. Long-distance ordering of any shoes you've not had an opportunity to try on has a 'crapshoot' element to it. From what you describe, you probably do NOT need that hassle / risk.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to the men's shoes department, and have them fit you. You do want a nice looking shoe, so I would stay away from the &quot;comfort&quot; line of thought. I would agree with the poster above that Aldens would be a good choice. Or just a pair of AEs that fit you right.

Stewie

Reaction score
Don't need the comfort shoes...you're on carpeting all day aren't you? I would get mid ranges and possibly buy two pair since wearing the same shoes day in and out is boring. Having two pairs will give you options, different styles, colors etc.

Ghumbs

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. Regarding the Vass, I was thinking about these and the seller told me if they were the wrong size, he'd refund me rather than the merch credit, so that's basically risk free. And I'm chatting with my friend who works down there right now and she suggested these Santonis for comfort and because it's a rubber sole (we're in Seattle). I don't like the look as much but I'd assume the wear is better. Those are the two I'm thinking about at the moment. Rubber soles a good/bad idea? Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks for the comments so far! Edit: I should also mention I have pretty flat feet. Don't know if that affects anything, but thought I'd throw that out there.

Ghumbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stewie
Don't need the comfort shoes...you're on carpeting all day aren't you? I would get mid ranges and possibly buy two pair since wearing the same shoes day in and out is boring. Having two pairs will give you options, different styles, colors etc.
Carpeting is only out front. 90% of my walking is in the back room with bare concrete and 2 floors with stairs.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazon has some AEs and Marteganis and at least one Moreschi at 150ish right now. If the size fits get 5 with your budget and change every day. Your shoes &quot;will&quot; be looked at because of your line of work.
BTW what is Nordstrom&quot;s employee discount? (just kidding!)

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you get a lot of action thanks to your job? Serious question. I was once offered a job wholesaling for Clarks before I got into the financial industry. Crappy shoes, serious *****.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't need rubber soles, you need something which fits your feet well.

Ordering over the internet will never guarantee this. You are just as likely to get a shoe less comfortable than the ones you have now.

I would look into a lightweight shoe with blake construction. Something like Ferragamo, Magnanni, Paul Smith etc which Nordstrom carries, you can get a discount on, and you can try on.

Ghumbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Do you get a lot of action thanks to your job? Serious question. I was once offered a job wholesaling for Clarks before I got into the financial industry. Crappy shoes, serious *****.

I'm married so I'm the wrong guy to ask.

Icarus

Reaction score
You need shoes that &quot;cup&quot; your heel so to say. If you are a little bit on the heavy side, I would also get some orthotics maybe.

Check your pm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads