• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
robert how have you been in my hood this whole time and not run into each other at the gtown crew? i'm there like every other morning.

Newstyle

Reaction score
I've been watching that new show on HBO, Boardwalk Empire, and the outfits look very J. Crew to me. Haha

supermidget

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oboy_oboy
Not a dig at you, but I've always been curious why, when for ~$35 less you can get Clarks that are almost certainly of better overall quality, anyone would buy the J.Crew desert boot?

personally, I like the J.Crew better because they're softer and more comfortable. not that the clarks arent a great boot.

ceekay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
Here comes a rant: I’m a big fan of the Crew and often sing its praises here. Thought I’d relay the other side of the coin, concerning their shoes. As I’ve said before, J Crew used to sell shoes Made in Italy 5 years or so back for a reasonable price…$100 or so. Then I noticed the wing tips being made in Romania around 2006. And the price jumped up to over $160. Then this year the Gifford collection was introduced, touting the Made In Italy tag. This time, the shoes retailed at $285. Ouch. I inquired on this forum what people thought of the shoe and I was told in quite plain terms, don’t waste your money. Just last month I noticed the Gifford Wing Tips were re-marked to $225. I had a 20% off coupon so I decided to give them a shot. Out of the box, they looked great. Loved the shape. Leather seemed good quality. Very comfortable from day 1. But, after just 5 wears, the damn sole started to come unglued from the welt on the instep of the shoe. Majorly disappointed. Took those suckers back right away. This is the third pair of J Crew shoes that have given me problems in recent memory. First, my Macallister boots leather lining totally came undone after a handful of wears. Then, the classic loafers sole came unglued. And now these. All of these defects came with little wear on the shoes ! Granted, J. Crew took these shoes back no questions asked, but still… I have to say, the quality on these shoes is poor from my experience. I was warned, but I had to learn the lesson on my own. I think I’m done with J Crew branded shoes for good. Hope this helps someone out there who is on the fence about buying J Crew Shoes.
agreed. last year i shelled out a bunch of money for a pair of vintage leather roadster boots for my girlfriend. they were amazing looking boots, perfect looking in every way.. and they cost nearly $300. needless to say i was not happy when the stitching on the back began to come undone. they didnt tear the thread actually came out. after a month i called them and they said sorry they would send a new pair.. but they were back ordered for 2 months.. after 2 months they came- wrong color. so i called again and they said they would order me a new pair of the right color.. except now they were backordered like 3 more months ... (5 months total bc they sent me black when they should have sent the right ones while they were in).. then i after 3 months i called them and they told me that they were out of stock indefinitely.. so no new boots.. the good thing was she beat the hell out of them and wore them every day for like 6 months and then they took them back so it was like having free boots. plus they sent us $50 for the inconvenience. however, in addition to the boots becoming unthreaded the "stacked heal" began to peel- thus revealing that i wasnt a freakin stacked heal it was just a damn sticker over an all rubber sole! mind you $300! i only buy collab shoes now...

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't know is this has been posted or not, but way to go JCrew! A whole dollar off MSRP.
bounce2.gif

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stewbone
Well I cant speak for them. But as for myself, I wanted a pair of leather desert boots and I didnt like the beeswax leather that clarks offered. You can get the Jcrew ones on ebay for around 80$, so its the same price anyway.

Originally Posted by dave333
The j. crew ones do look a bit better than clarks IMO. lil sleeker perhaps?

Originally Posted by supermidget
personally, I like the J.Crew better because they're softer and more comfortable. not that the clarks arent a great boot.

All valid. I don't think of the silhouette as being so different, but perhaps that's just me.

Although, I do think Clarks break in to be as soft as anything, and likely last longer, too.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
robert how have you been in my hood this whole time and not run into each other at the gtown crew? i'm there like every other morning.

Was only in DC for 2 weeks. Went to the gtown Crew a couple of times.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just donated my gaily colored BR t-shirts to Goodwill and picked up some more sober hues from the Crew for fall. I do like the long-sleeved tees, too.

Urijah1086

Reaction score
I picked up a blue chambray at the outlet in a size small and it is just to baggy in the chest. Im 6' 137 and decided to order the red and blue Chambray in extra small online... Hoping these will fit...

immaage

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just picked up some xs secret wash shirts and was wondering what you guys thought of the fit:

IMAG0431.jpg

Specifically the shoulder seam...is it too far in?

(Not sure if this is the right place to post this...if not I'll gladly delete and move).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads