• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blog Marley
Anyone know how good either of these sweaters are?

images_onFigure_29_29208_29208_SW0084_m_tif_b3540bce780018ef.jpg

images_onFigure_18_18608_18608_GY6109_m_tif_8f4e0b742e5c1895.jpg

Anyone been to the Georgetown (DC) store lately?

Yes. Why? I bought my navy Baracuta there last week.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 155-162 in weight and 5'9 height. What size should I choose for utility jacket if I plan to layer?

golfham

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES
I'm 155-162 in weight and 5'9 height. What size should I choose for utility jacket if I plan to layer?

small fits like a dream on me (5'8", 152 lbs.)

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

depends on your shoulders/chest measurements.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
Yep I'm going to pull the trigger on the blue chambray and winterbrook (slim) flannel...thinking both in small though not sure if i should go xs on the chambray which isnt slim (5'11" 160 lbs).

Will be first J Crew purchase. Lets see what all the fuss is about.

I'm 5'10" 150...

I wear a small in their fitted/slim clothing and an X-Small in everything else at J.Crew. It seems you are about the same size as me. As a general rule of thumb size down one in J.Crew's regular items as compared to their slim line.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MSSneaker
I'm 5'10" 150...

I wear a small in their fitted/slim clothing and an X-Small in everything else at J.Crew. It seems you are about the same size as me. As a general rule of thumb size down one in J.Crew's regular items as compared to their slim line.

Well I did my measurements now:

shoulders straight across - 17"
neck - 14.5"
sleeve - 32"
chest - 36"

All of those fit into "small" under their size chart. I'll just go with small in the slim fit and small in the regular fit chambray. I've never worn XS in anything and I dont want to risk it because I'm in Canada and returning will be a hassle. I can always get it tailored if it's a little too big.

Jay687

Reaction score
I just bought Authentic Peacoat. A button was falling off though and the others were not stitched on well. So they are having the one fixed and others strengthened for me. I got it for $200 too. Not sure why the store was having a sale on all their peacoats (but there is no sale online), but not gonna complain. The thing was WARM. Then again, it was in the store. But anyone with experience with the thinsulate one... ? Do you need to layer?

The guy at the store was pushing for me to go with the XS, but it was pretty tight. Not that I'll really be buttoning the whole thing up, but I couldn't even button the top buttons. And think even a thin sweater would be pushing it. I guess that's the look some people like though.

It definitely fit in my shoulders well though... Better than the S anyway did in the shoulders. But S was fine. I'm just wide/thick in the back/chest... compared to shoulders. Usually if it fits my shoulders, it's too tight in the chest. And for a winter jacket, why not go with a bit larger for layering? Especially considering it'd be nice to button it all the way... I mean, they are there for a reason, lol.

Jay687

Reaction score
Also, question for those who buy Jcrew suits... do they ever go on sale? The ludlow 38s fits me pretty well, but not about to throw down $600 for it. I just wonder if they can be had cheaper at some point during the year.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
I just bought Authentic Peacoat. A button was falling off though and the others were not stitched on well. So they are having the one fixed and others strengthened for me. I got it for $200 too. Not sure why the store was having a sale on all their peacoats (but there is no sale online), but not gonna complain. The thing was WARM. Then again, it was in the store. But anyone with experience with the thinsulate one... ? Do you need to layer? The guy at the store was pushing for me to go with the XS, but it was pretty tight. Not that I'll really be buttoning the whole thing up, but I couldn't even button the top buttons. And think even a thin sweater would be pushing it. I guess that's the look some people like though. It definitely fit in my shoulders well though... Better than the S anyway did in the shoulders. But S was fine. I'm just wide/thick in the back/chest... compared to shoulders. Usually if it fits my shoulders, it's too tight in the chest. And for a winter jacket, why not go with a bit larger for layering? Especially considering it'd be nice to button it all the way... I mean, they are there for a reason, lol.
Yep wouldnt advise on XS for a winter jacket unless you are really really small lol. By the way I just ordered and damn the taxes are a killer $40 on a $200 order. I guess its tax+duty combined.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
I have the FW09 peacoat w/ the thinsulate. I usually have to layer under it when temps drop below 25. Is the FW10 marked as the "BAYSWATER PEACOAT"?

Also, why were you listening to the SA in the first place? Winter coats are supposed to have a little room under them; that's sort of the point. Moreover, you should be able to easily button the entire thing up - the collar strap and neck clasp aren't just decorations

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, question for those who buy Jcrew suits... do they ever go on sale? The ludlow 38s fits me pretty well, but not about to throw down $600 for it. I just wonder if they can be had cheaper at some point during the year.

Which suit? A wool pinstripe ludlow suit could be had for $150-200 with the 30% off final sale last year.

edit- I don't suggest you actually buy a J Crew suit though.

ceekay

Reaction score
I just bought Authentic Peacoat. A button was falling off though and the others were not stitched on well. So they are having the one fixed and others strengthened for me. I got it for $200 too. Not sure why the store was having a sale on all their peacoats (but there is no sale online), but not gonna complain. The thing was WARM. Then again, it was in the store. But anyone with experience with the thinsulate one... ? Do you need to layer?

The guy at the store was pushing for me to go with the XS, but it was pretty tight. Not that I'll really be buttoning the whole thing up, but I couldn't even button the top buttons. And think even a thin sweater would be pushing it. I guess that's the look some people like though.

It definitely fit in my shoulders well though... Better than the S anyway did in the shoulders. But S was fine. I'm just wide/thick in the back/chest... compared to shoulders. Usually if it fits my shoulders, it's too tight in the chest. And for a winter jacket, why not go with a bit larger for layering? Especially considering it'd be nice to button it all the way... I mean, they are there for a reason, lol.

i had to return my woodland jacket bc that XS was just too tight at the top.. i dont really understand it, bc they dont cut their stuff super slim by any stretch.. The small was too big, and in the peacoat it looked like a costume on me haha,, ll bean signature had some nice coats.. peacoats and like a short university coat..

i was going to order this http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignatur...rValue_0=Loden

does anyone have any experience with the fit?

zerostyle

Reaction score
Heads up:

I just got a 20% off coupon for any order amount in my email. (subject line is "We Miss You")

Blog Marley

Reaction score
Rob, was asking to determine if they had good stuff in stock. If parking wasn't such a ***** I'd go because the Pentagon store's men's section was cut in half not too long ago.

Anyone else get a 25% off in store coupon in the mail a week or two ago?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads