• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
My paranoia can probably be explained by my anticipation of a pair of calf boots which I sized the same as my cordovan boots (although Barrie vs. Trubalance last). Sizing was not even a concern until the calf vs. cordovan, welt, sole, etc. topic was brought up.
dude, your new boots are going to fit you just fine. don't worry about it!

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonB27
^^ I've had those for quite some time now and they get some decent use, I'll try to post up some more pics of them soon.

those are my most recent pair and I love them! they have the potential to be some true favorites. it's a little too hot to wear them in SF right now but I can't wait to get back into them.

I did a lot of looking at your pair when I was deciding on them. thanks for the picture!

I'd love to see what your pair looks like now!

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Like I said, 90% of people don't adjust sizes based on style... I don't really want to get too into this because I don't want to confuse people even more than they already are about Alden lasts! But, for examples sake... I have a wingtip blucher...shell cordovan, regular welt that fits tighter than another version in suede with a reverse welt. I wear both in the same size without any complaints. I also have a shell cordovan chukka that I can fit comfortably in but also have a shell cordovan NST blucher in the same size that is slightly tighter. I also wear both in the same size without any complaints. What really messes me up is wearing my bespoke Cleverleys then trying on a pair of Aldens.
laugh.gif

Thanks, Tom. As you said there is no need to get into this further because everybody's mileage vary after all. However, it seems to me that the different fit that you get in the examples you gave is due (i) in regard of the first example (shell wingtip blucher w/ regular welt vs. suede blucher w/ reverse welt), to the difference in the upper; and (ii) in regard of the second example (shell chukka vs. shell NST blucher), to boot form vs shoe form and/or number of eyelets. In other words, I think that exterior patterns such as handsewn or machine stitching and/or perforations do not or in fact should not affect sizing for anybody. IMHO the factors that may include sizing are: - leather upper (calf vs. shell vs. suede/reverse calf vs. -perhaps- oily leathers) - boot form vs shoe form - different lasts - blucher vs balmoral form - Even the quarters can be effective in determining the correct size. Note the difference in where the quarters of the below Alden PTBs end: http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Alde...hoe_15082.html http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Alde...Tan_16500.html - number of eyelets-- I suppose one may take different sizes in shell cordovan Barrie lasted stock Alden chukkas and your 6-eyelet shell chukkas, if they were produced in Barrie instead of Grant. - and lastly, type of welt -- I did not know this could make difference. Thanks for letting us know Tom.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
You are over thinking this and heading down the street to madness. If it were that easy than all of this information would be posted. I have several shoes on the Barrie last, with different welts, soles and made from different leathers. They all fit me the same size. You completely over looked the facts (Tom says 90% of people don't adjust size because of these factors) and went straight for your fears and preconceived notions.

Don’t be that guy.

Very good, Ahab!
I also wear the same size (in the same last) regardless of the leather, style, etc.
Order, try, keep or return - no worries, no madness.

tlieu

Reaction score
Does anyone know which shoe last the longwings in the very middle of the picture is? It's definitely not on the Barrie last cause the one on the right looks more like it's on the Barrie last. This one has more of a round toe box, which I like.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tlieu
Does anyone know which shoe last the longwings in the very middle of the picture is? It's definitely not on the Barrie last cause the one on the right looks more like it's on the Barrie last. This one has more of a round toe box, which I like.

Could be the Plaza last

joz411no

Reaction score

I'm thinking Modified Last.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think it is a Modified last. I have a wing tip on the modified and while it's not in front of me for comparison, that's my gut.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joz411no

I'm thinking Modified Last.

Modified seems like a reasonable guess, but it could also be one of the other unusual lasts they use in Japan.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I read Japanese. That longwing pair is Barrie last. 17yrs. Owned by Mr. Chiwaki, chairman of Lacota (chief importer of Alden to Japan). It was a gift from the CEO of Alden at that time.

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Btw these are supposively the Aldens worn by fashion industry celebrities.

Top right plaintoe Barrie last, SC, 20yrs.

Center Left, Roy Boot, True-Balance last, Chromexel, 1 yr old, owned by Samuel Barker (Owner, Context)

Center right, Longwing, Barry Last, SC, 3 yrs old, owned by Jack O'conner, J.Crew in-house stylist

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nutcracker
Btw these are supposively the Aldens worn by fashion industry celebrities.

Top right plaintoe Barrie last, SC, 20yrs.

Center Left, Roy Boot, True-Balance last, Chromexel, 1 yr old, owned by Samuel Barker (Owner, Context)

Center right, Longwing, Barry Last, SC, 3 yrs old, owned by Jack O'conner, J.Crew in-house stylist

Those boys need some shoe trees!

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Those boys need some shoe trees!
They aren't SF posters.
laugh.gif

nutcracker

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
also interesting is: considering how aggressively the Modified Last has been marketed and recommended (by fashion pundits) in Japan over the past years, none of their favorite pairs (represented here) are made on the Modified Last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads