1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Hello,

Thank you for you thoughtful and extremely detailed post. It is much appreciated.

indeed! like many things I could tell there was something different but couldn't put my finger on what exactly. great post

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I just bought a pair of #8 longwings today... Then I see Epaulet just got in a new shipment of the whisky longings... Should I take the #8s back and get the whisky?

3. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Nooooo!!! #8 is classic and goes with virtually everything - my whiskey long wings are possibly my favorite shoes, but conversely are worn the least of all of them. Keep the #8, and save up again for whiskey. Between all of the Alden retailers, you can almost always find someone with whiskey in stock.

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Nooooo!!! #8 is classic and goes with virtually everything - my whiskey long wings are possibly my favorite shoes, but conversely are worn the least of all of them. Keep the #8, and save up again for whiskey. Between all of the Alden retailers, you can almost always find someone with whiskey in stock.

Thanks, this makes sense. This is my first cordovan purchase... I need to go with the classic more versatile color.

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I agree on the #8 being the most versatile color, but I say get the whiskey now and return the #8s.
    You know, bird in the hand and all that.
    You'll always be able to find #8s.

6. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

+1

Also, #8 longwings are sometimes available at discount- whiskey, never.

7. wj4

wj4 Senior member

How do Whiskey's look like in person? I want a pair, but they appear kind of too bright in pictures.

8. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I think this is pretty true to the actual color.
    [​IMG]

9. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

I agree on the #8 being the most versatile color, but I say get the whiskey now and return the #8s.
    You know, bird in the hand and all that.
    You'll always be able to find #8s.

+1. Whiskey is not always available; #8 is .

Plus, whiskey is simply a gorgeous color - it is dandyish and strong; #8 is far more subtle and "versatile." But you only live once.

10. wj4

wj4 Senior member

You guys are tempting me on the Whiskey. [​IMG] The only reason I haven't ordered already is that I have a pair of Longwings from J. Crew x Alden already and I think the hue might be too alike the Whiskey. But still, tempted nonetheless

11. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

You guys are tempting me on the Whiskey. [​IMG] The only reason I haven't ordered already is that I have a pair of Longwings from J. Crew x Alden already and I think the hue might be too alike the Whiskey. But still, tempted nonetheless

Hmmm, you need that many shades of longwing? The J.Crew pair (lighter variety) are awesome; skip the whiskey, and, maybe the #8 and get another style. What else do you have?

Then again, you could buy the whiskey and sell the j.crews (whiskey gets darker with age, too, so the shade would be close after a while).

12. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

For further clarity, (or perhaps more confusion) are you adding to a collection and trying to add a marquee shoe, or are you buying something to wear fairly frequently? Again, as much as I love my whiskey shoes, they get no where near the wear of my #8s or my ravello for that matter.

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The color is similar but the whiskey shell really is a different look. I can imagine having both.
    But then I already have 6 pairs of Alden longwings.

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Whisky is a luxury ....even more so than any other shell.

15. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Since I've joined the board, I've bought about 6 pairs of Aldens. They are: J. Crew x Alden longwings, 405 Indy, #8 Cap toe boots, Cigar longwings, WinnPerry brown pebble grain cap toe boots, brown/burgundy pebble grain wing tip boots.

My next pair was going to be a black pair (even though these won't get worn as much because I think black is not a versatile color at all). And after that, I was going to be done for a while..at least until Spring/Summer for some Bucks.

I don't like plain shoes...that's why all the shoes are long wings, wing tips, or cap toes. I bought and returned cigar NWT because they were advertised as Barrie last, but that wasn't the case.

16. wj4

wj4 Senior member

For further clarity, (or perhaps more confusion) are you adding to a collection and trying to add a marquee shoe, or are you buying something to wear fairly frequently? Again, as much as I love my whiskey shoes, they get no where near the wear of my #8s or my ravello for that matter.

I'm definitely adding to the collection. As of now, there are only 2 pairs of Aldens that I have worn. The J. Crew were worn about 3 times. The Indy's were worn twice. No time to wear them that much. [​IMG]

17. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Long-time gawker first time Alden purchaser. Just got my first pair of Aldens -- the Ranger Mocc. It shall not be my last.

[​IMG]

Handsomely crafted in smooth tobacco Horween Chamois (heavily oiled) leather.
    Hand sewn mocc toe and unique quarter construction.
    Natural plantation crepe rubber sole.
    Van last.
    360 degree Goodyear welt.
    Full leather linings, natural cork insole, full heel counters and steel shank through the arch for lasting comfort and support.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Love these. And ... already got my next Aldens picked out.

18. velomane

velomane Senior member

Given that whiskey seems to be the sujet du jour, here's a "this or that" for you guys to help me decide on: the PTB or the chukka? To be worn with chinos or denim.

TIA,
    Mike

19. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Fellas, how does the Plaza last fit? Anyone can compare it to Barrie and/or TruBalance for comparison? I want a pair of monk straps now to spaz things up!

20. borderline

borderline Senior member

Given that whiskey seems to be the sujet du jour, here's a "this or that" for you guys to help me decide on: the PTB or the chukka? To be worn with chinos or denim.

TIA,
    Mike

I vote chukka.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.